• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Besy Jeep Injury Thread..

deadfeat

81 Scram with stuff.
City
Newak
State
DE
Best Jeep Injury Thread..

My best Jeep Inury...

While installing poly motor mounts, I picked my head up and turned to speak to my wife. The inside corner of my hood pierced my temple severing a capilary. at least 6 oz of blood literally poured from my head onto an awaiting rag as I waited for my wife to come back with some clean towels. Blood smels pretty bad. :eek:

Last edited:

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
OUCH!

I feel your pain did the samthing yesterday myself,when working on pulling the power steering pump.I was a little better off just a trickle of blood out of mine-JC

scrambler jimmy

Junkyard Dog
City
City
State
ZZ
I'm still recovering from my injury. Failed to notice the lock lugs on a Cherokee Chief at the junkyard, from which I wanted to remove the flattop knuckles and outer shafts. So, in frustration, I grab a chisel and 2lb mini-sledge - big no-no. After swinging madly at the chisel several times, I made the mistake of swinging twice at the chisel, instead of resetting the chisel after each swing as I had been doing.

My thumb was firmly planted against the wheel centercap, as the mini-sledge was making it's way down with all the frustration and disappointment I could muster. Of course, the mini-sledge met my thumb. In silence, I suffered through the initial pain.

Next, I had to decide whether to give in or continue on. I decided to continue on and come up with a better way to remove the lock lugs. I grabbed the appropriately-sized 12-point socket and hammered it onto the lock lug. It worked and I continued on.

I gave the thumb the rest of the day to see if the pain would lessen, but it didn't. The wife made me go to the doctor, and as would be expected, I broke it clean through.

Now, I'm just waiting for the nail to finish growing back.

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
I was working on my Jeep one day a few years ago, changed the thermostat, tried to fix the valve cover gasket (this was back in the 258 days) bent over the engine all day I ended up blowing out two disks in my back :D

What pain.

Then numbness in 1/2 my pee-pee. That scared the heck out of me.
My Doctor had a scared look on his face when I told him about it too.

Eventually I was able to heal but from time to time I get pain, fortunately the numbness has not returned.

Jeep ownership can be hazardous!!!!

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Well, I was out at a bonfire about 10 years ago and got bored and decided to go home early. Got to a Y in the road and was taking the right fork, NO WAIT. GOTTA GO LEFT! (you know what happens next right? hint, I was in a CJ7 with the hardtop to make it nice and top-heavy). Road grater had left a nice knee high pile of dirt at the fork, so I fishtailed into it (only going about 25 mph) and rolled her over twice. Was pretty soft dirt, but hardtop came off, doors and windshield frame were trashed along with the front cap. Ended up on the drivers side. Got up, looked around (was more worried about my jeep than I was myself), got the shakes so I started patting the front of my coat to see which inner pocket the cigs were in, and then felt my face to see if I was hurt anywhere (had one small cut on my chin). What I didn't notice was that when the windshild caved in, it cut my hands up and the were bleeding like hell (not bad cuts, just bled alot), so in patting myself down, I managed to cover myself in blood. Walked back to the bonfire, somebody says "thought you left" to which I replied "I did, but rolled the jeep, think ya'll could help me get it back on the wheels?" They moved aside where I was in the firelight and there I was covered head to toe in blood. Chicks started screaming and everybody was hollering about calling an ambulance etc and there I was pissed off cause my jeep was a mess. They finally realized that I wasn't bleeding to death and we rolled it back over and I drove it 8 miles home. Figure if you have a vehicle you can roll over twice and still drive it home you should hold on to it.....

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
My Worst/Best?

I'll preface this with...I pass out at the site of blood, especially my own. I was in the garage working on a CJ-7 frame. I was removing the front spring hangers for a shackle reversal with a chisel and hammer (probably starting to sound like trouble here). The chisel decides to break with a good wack, flies up and goes into my forehead (about my left eyebrow). It didn't hurt too bad, that's when I felt where it hit, with the blood starting to flow. I see it on my hands and coming down my face, stagger to the garage door, heading toward the house (this is my previous house, for those familiar with the current set-up) and didn't remember much for a while after that. My wife came home, probably 30-60 minutes latter to find me laying on my back, on the sidewalk to the house, with our Golden Retriever licking my face as I was "waking up". A trip to the doc-in-the-box and about 6 stiches in my forehead taught me to use a grinder in the future for removing these.
Plenty of other burns, metal shards in the eyes, scrapes and cuts, but that one was sort of memorable.

dirtyjeep

I like it dirty.
City
Arlington
State
TX
Plenty of scrapes, cuts, smashed (but not broken) fingers, etc... I'd have to say the worst I've had was while I was working on one of my Jeeps and the wrench slipped and smacked me in the head. Everything went white then faded to black. Luckily I came to before I fell over. That and welding slag that gets caught in your shoes at your ankle burns like hell and leaves a mark that sticks around quite awhile.

duna6430

Basic User
Best Jeep Injury...

was replacing heater hose, and in a hurry for some forgotten reason.

After hacking in vain at the hose with the trusty util knife, I realized I had picked up some NEW blades and was dumb enough to take the time to plug them in (even the spares inside the handle!).

Reattacking the hose was like cutting butter - including my left index finger to the tune of 6 stitches and many smirks from my wife.

duna sends...

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
wear googles!

It isn't quite as bad as most here, but I was working on my RR brakes when I went to hose it off with brake cleaner.

They put the angled top on the nozzle so you know what way to point it, but I guess I didn't notice and started to spray away...

Yup, it was pointed back at me and caught the left side of my left eye. Didn't hurt much at all, but I knew I needed to do something about it, so I read the directions on the label with my good eye and it said to flush with water for 15 minutes.

Went in, set the oven timer and went to work at the sink. While the stuff didn't hurt too much on it's own, sticking your open eye under a faucet sure does. Burned like hell, but I kept it in there the whole time and even did it again since it was still burning after I stopped.

I wear goggles/glasses now. :D

Jeremy

Scrambler Fanatic
City
Carlisle
State
PA
Two many to count. I have a freiend that now looks up and says "Must bleed for jeep" or "blood sacrifice to the jeep god" when ever he gets a momento