• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Bored...Thoughts...

Jeep4x4MDJ

Basic User
well im bored so i figured i would just speak my mind...why do people buy differential lockers when u can weld spider gears...why do things cost so much in general...how does a slip yoke eliminator work and why would u want one...why dont people just extand or shorten their own driveshafts contrary to buying them when ther so expensive...why si weatherstripping so expensive and hard to find for a jeep cherokee...is a SOA lift orth all the trouble and is it cheaper then other lifts...whats the big deal with cell phones that can take pictures or play music and all that stupid stuff...

i feel beter

deadfeat

81 Scram with stuff.
City
Newak
State
DE
I'll take a crack at these...
1. Welding spider gears is a cheaper version of a spool. Spools are not the same as lockers. Locker allow some differentiation for tollerable street manners. Spools just help you crash faster.

2. Things cost so much becase there is a market that dictaes how much people are willing to spend.

3. Many people do shorten or re-tube thier drive shafts. I had mind done for $80 when I changed my trans.

4. I never heard of SI (Sports Illistrated) weatherstripping. Are you saying there is a Cherokee girl in Sports Illistrated stripping in the cold weather and she is expensive?

5. SOA is not worth the trouble unless you are building a hard core trail rig, or just like to test out your roll bar. And it is not cheaper unless you you can fab up a lot of stuff yourself.

6. Cell phones that take pictures and play music.. Well some people have small wee-wees and find that they feel bigg with sophisticated toys.

7. Glad you feel better.

Happy New Year...

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
4. I never heard of SI (Sports Illistrated) weatherstripping. Are you saying there is a Cherokee girl in Sports Illistrated stripping in the cold weather and she is expensive?

Steve..I like the way the think :D . But, I think it has more to do with typing ability.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA

Jeep4x4MDJ

Basic User
niiiiiice, ill be sure to voice my thoughts more often and ill definately be sure to double check my speeling....er....wait....nevermind

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
SYE

Since no one has answered, I'll tell you waht I think I know about the SYEs.

They are used on the new Wranglers to eliminate the sliding rear output on the transfer case. The two main problems with the stock setup is that they 1) are very long and both shorten the rear driveshaft and increase the pinion and rear yoke angles and 2) if you break a rear axle or the rear driveshaft U-joint, you can't simply remove the rear driveshaft and drive out in FWD (4wd with no rear driveshaft), because the SY will come apart without the rear driveshaft and all the TC fluid will drain out.

A SYE replaces the sliding output with a fixed yoke, lengthening the rear driveshaft, decreasing the angle on the rear d-shaft (allowing higher lifts) and allows you to remove the rear d-shaft without causing any tc problems.

That's about all I know. Oh, the SYE output/yoke increases the strenth of the rear driveline as well.

Happy New Year! :D

Jeep4x4MDJ

Basic User
so the SYE keeps the driveshaft from extending and shortening basically, wouldnt this forse something else to break if ur vehicle was flexing or something. what about just welding the axle instead of buying one of this kits?

Jeremy

Scrambler Fanatic
City
Carlisle
State
PA
A SYE kit basically changes a transfer case that has a sliding rear yoke ( which allows the rear driveshaft which is fixed in lenght to move back and forth in axis to its rotation to a fixed out put which would be similar to the one on your scrambler in that the yoke is stationary but the drive shaft colapes and extends as the suspention travels. Understand now?

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
Well Said

Well said, deadfeat, although i'm not so sure about #5.

5. SOA is not worth the trouble unless you are building a hard core trail rig, or just like to test out your roll bar. And it is not cheaper unless you you can fab up a lot of stuff yourself.

deadfeat

81 Scram with stuff.
City
Newak
State
DE
Re: Well Said

dadscj8 said:
Well said, deadfeat, although i'm not so sure about #5.

[begin soap box mode]
SOAs are great lifts but they are controversial. First clear up a few things...

If you are building a poser, it doesn't matter cause it's pointless to discuss street lifts. If you want to look cool, start smoking. :cool:

I agree with a done right SOA in the case where you are running big tires. Big tires are over 35's.

A good SOA needs a the front axle knuckles rotated a few degree for proper alignment wth the pumpkin rotated twowards the transfer case. It also needs a high steer set up and rear anti wrap set up. For the street it also needs anti-sway bars. (don't even get me started on sway bars) That is not cheaper than a spring lift.

A bad SOA bends springs, breaks drive shaft u-joints, has a way high center of gravity. wicked bump steer, binding steering compnents, bad rear axle wrap. Not to mention a tendency to roll over.

My personal feeling is that you build a Jeep to be more capable without comprimising safety. How many of us have built up a Jeep and the very last thing we did was add a full cage, better brakes or a harness? Shouldn't that really be the first thing we spend $$ on?
[End soap box mode]

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
1. Deadfeat covered that one.
2. Same as above.
3. Pretty well covered. Not a concern on a CJ anyway.
4. Some people do have their existing shafts re-done. People buy new ones because:
a. They have a Wrangler & have installed a SYE
b. They want a heavier duty driveshaft
5. Supply & demand
6. Worth it? Depends on intended use of the vehicle. Cheaper? Not when you factor in the 'domino effect' mods like rear anti-wrap, hi-steer, etc...especially if you can't do the fab work yourself.
7. It's called convergance. Why carry 2 or more items in your pockets/clipped to your belt (unless you just *really* want to look like a geek or think it looks cool like Batman's utility belt) when you can carry just one?

-Rodney

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
Deadfeat:

[begin soap box mode]

I would also agree with those points although i am certainly not an authority on soa's yet. I will probably end up doing one sometime.