- City
- Marysville
- State
- CA
For starters, I'm not looking for donations, or sympathy (okay, maybe some moral support)... but my stress level is topping up, and I just need to vent a little.
There are so many people MUCH worse off than I am... I feel bad complaining... but we all have our limits....
So, last Thursday I was headed to work, and noticed a plume of smoke to the north. I thought it was a lot closer than it turned out to be. When I got to work, I found out there was a mandatory evacuation for the town of Paradise.
Well, four of my six grandchildren live in Paradise! I texted my step-daughter, and told her to get the heck out of there! She and her current husband were just leaving with the two younger kids, and my ex-son-in-law was just leaving his house with the two older kids.
I also let my wife know what was going on, so she could encourage all of them to move more quickly!
A while later, my wife called me in a panic! She was on the phone with the older kids, and they were over-run by the fire! They were screaming, their pets were freaking out, and there was was nowhere to go, because traffic was at a standstill!
I rushed home, and in the looong slow-motion six minutes it took me to get there, traffic cleared up, and they all made it out safely.
My wife was a wreck... she honestly thought she was listening to our grandchildren burn to death!
Everyone regrouped at my other step-daughter's house in eastern Chico. Her husband is a fire captain with the US Forest Service, and come to find out, he was able to give them all a few minutes advance notice, which may have saved their lives!
But wait... winds were crazy last Thursday, and they blew the fire downhill toward Chico!
So, my other step-daughter's house was evacuated as well!
All told, friends and family, we hosted 11 evacuees last Thursday night... and we were happy to do so... they all made it!
The Chico area was saved, and our Chico family was able to return home within a couple of days.
Our Paradise families, not so much. Both of their homes were completely destroyed.
Thankfully, by the grace of God, fate, or coincidence (whatever works best for you), my wife and I bought the house next door to us just a month ago!
My step-daughter and her family (who lost everything, with no renter's insurance) are living in our "spare" house.
My ex-son-in-law (the father of the older two grandchildren... the one who drove through fire), who is a great friend of ours, and a fantastic dad, has been staying with us in our house. He rented a house just a few blocks from us, which he can move in to tomorrow. He is totally dedicated to his kids!
The kids are now enrolled in a local charter school, which I'm very excited about!
It's been a busy week....
On another front, two of my employees in my Chico location live in Magalia, which is a little town uphill from Paradise.
One of them rides the bus to work, so he was on the road last Thursday before the fire even started. He had $10 in his pocket for lunch....
I gave him some money for food, and I've been putting him up in a motel for the last week, while things get figured out. He was lucky... his house was spared... but he can't get to it! Hopefully, he will be able to go home this weekend.
My other Magalia employee decided to stay at home. He's an 84 year old logger/firefighter/Bearing Belt Chain company man... he knew he could take care of himself....
Well, today we received cofirmation that his remains were found among the rubble of his home. He had bulldozed a fire-break around the perimiter of his property, but it just wasn't enough.
We're taking solace in the idea that he (very well) knew the risks, and he left this earth doing what he wanted to do, and being where he wanted to be....
I'm exhausted... and I've got a perpetual lump in my throat.
My family is fortunate, and they all have a place to live... but I can't help thinking of the thousands who are camping out at fairgrounds, churches, and Wal-Mart parking lots! What are all those people going to do?!?
This is not our country's first natural disaster, and it won't be the last... but this is the first time I really understand what people are going through!
I can't save everyone (I wish I could), but at least I can save a few....
If you're still with me, thank you so much for listening (reading)!
This is cathartic for me, just putting it out there....
Like I said, I just needed to vent. Cheers!
There are so many people MUCH worse off than I am... I feel bad complaining... but we all have our limits....
So, last Thursday I was headed to work, and noticed a plume of smoke to the north. I thought it was a lot closer than it turned out to be. When I got to work, I found out there was a mandatory evacuation for the town of Paradise.
Well, four of my six grandchildren live in Paradise! I texted my step-daughter, and told her to get the heck out of there! She and her current husband were just leaving with the two younger kids, and my ex-son-in-law was just leaving his house with the two older kids.
I also let my wife know what was going on, so she could encourage all of them to move more quickly!
A while later, my wife called me in a panic! She was on the phone with the older kids, and they were over-run by the fire! They were screaming, their pets were freaking out, and there was was nowhere to go, because traffic was at a standstill!
I rushed home, and in the looong slow-motion six minutes it took me to get there, traffic cleared up, and they all made it out safely.
My wife was a wreck... she honestly thought she was listening to our grandchildren burn to death!
Everyone regrouped at my other step-daughter's house in eastern Chico. Her husband is a fire captain with the US Forest Service, and come to find out, he was able to give them all a few minutes advance notice, which may have saved their lives!
But wait... winds were crazy last Thursday, and they blew the fire downhill toward Chico!
So, my other step-daughter's house was evacuated as well!
All told, friends and family, we hosted 11 evacuees last Thursday night... and we were happy to do so... they all made it!
The Chico area was saved, and our Chico family was able to return home within a couple of days.
Our Paradise families, not so much. Both of their homes were completely destroyed.
Thankfully, by the grace of God, fate, or coincidence (whatever works best for you), my wife and I bought the house next door to us just a month ago!
My step-daughter and her family (who lost everything, with no renter's insurance) are living in our "spare" house.
My ex-son-in-law (the father of the older two grandchildren... the one who drove through fire), who is a great friend of ours, and a fantastic dad, has been staying with us in our house. He rented a house just a few blocks from us, which he can move in to tomorrow. He is totally dedicated to his kids!
The kids are now enrolled in a local charter school, which I'm very excited about!
It's been a busy week....
On another front, two of my employees in my Chico location live in Magalia, which is a little town uphill from Paradise.
One of them rides the bus to work, so he was on the road last Thursday before the fire even started. He had $10 in his pocket for lunch....
I gave him some money for food, and I've been putting him up in a motel for the last week, while things get figured out. He was lucky... his house was spared... but he can't get to it! Hopefully, he will be able to go home this weekend.
My other Magalia employee decided to stay at home. He's an 84 year old logger/firefighter/Bearing Belt Chain company man... he knew he could take care of himself....
Well, today we received cofirmation that his remains were found among the rubble of his home. He had bulldozed a fire-break around the perimiter of his property, but it just wasn't enough.
We're taking solace in the idea that he (very well) knew the risks, and he left this earth doing what he wanted to do, and being where he wanted to be....
I'm exhausted... and I've got a perpetual lump in my throat.
My family is fortunate, and they all have a place to live... but I can't help thinking of the thousands who are camping out at fairgrounds, churches, and Wal-Mart parking lots! What are all those people going to do?!?
This is not our country's first natural disaster, and it won't be the last... but this is the first time I really understand what people are going through!
I can't save everyone (I wish I could), but at least I can save a few....
If you're still with me, thank you so much for listening (reading)!
This is cathartic for me, just putting it out there....
Like I said, I just needed to vent. Cheers!

Last edited:



