• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Can I mix and match vendors or do I need to stay with 1 for color matching?

1st_scrambler

City
Hartford
State
WI
Hi everyone, I recently picked up a 1981 Jeep Scrambler that I want to replace all the fabric in. I was wondering if I order spice will everything match or do I need to stick with one mfg. I need to order front seats, rear seat, roll bar padding, dash pad, carpet, sun top and door panels (once I find doors). My dilemma is I want it all to match and I want a camel color for all. I guess the closest match is spice but I can't find 1 supplier for all the things I want. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone...

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Spice tends to match across brands, although quality may not.

My recommendation would be to sit on it for a good 3-6mos before deciding which way you want to go.

I thought I was going to do spice when I first purchased, but it wasn't long before I regretted wasting money on cheap aftermarket stuff and decided to go OEM or close to it.

1st_scrambler

City
Hartford
State
WI
So what brands of seats do you recommend? I want something with the recliners for the fronts and fix for the rear is okay.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I’m pretty happy with the replacement upholstery from www.Seatzmfg.com . They also do door panels and visors to match. Unless you can find a good OEM dash pad, you’re probably looking at paint-to-match.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I've got the Bestop trailmax II front and rear seats with headrests and I'm very happy with them. I'm 6'6", 195 lbs so I'm skinny as a rake but they fit me really well.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I've got the Bestop trailmax II front and rear seats with headrests and I'm very happy with them. I'm 6'6", 195 lbs so I'm skinny as a rake but they fit me really well.
I have seen an issue with the Trailmax seats. On a lifted Jeep the drivers outer bolster “collapses” where you are always sliding over it when getting in and out. By collapses I mean the foam padding goes flat.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Mine are only a couple years old with maybe 8000 miles on them so I can't say anything about their durability yet. I don't really slide into them though as I'm tall enough to just sit right into them and I've only got a 4" lift.

But my kids are tough as hell on them; so far, so good. Nice thing is they are cheap so I'll just buy another set when these wear out.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I have seen an issue with the Trailmax seats. On a lifted Jeep the drivers outer bolster “collapses” where you are always sliding over it when getting in and out. By collapses I mean the foam padding goes flat.
I am dealing with this problem at the moment. Very disappointing.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Spice/Tan/Brown/Nutmeg... all color names that are thrown around.
Nutmeg is darker, Honey is lighter... Camel is another color altogether.
They will all differ unfortunately.

The covers that were mentioned above work well and look close, although the feel of the nutmeg differs.
I did a set and they came out nice, but they use stock seat frames and those are harder to find these days in nice shape.

01717_i5ekEAgLUMP_0CI0lM_1200x900.jpg

cb