• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

CJ-18a

Ted Wendel

Jeep nut
City
Richmond
State
VA
Here's my latest project,I've been collecting parts for a while now.It's going to be sort of a pro street/sand drag Jeep.The Caddy engine will be 517 Cubic inches,CAT 6.9 inch H beam Hemi rods,Bulldog intake,lots of head work.I'm going to make a bed that looks like a M-715 bed,with a CJ-5 tailgate,and Willys pickup fenders.
Parts I already have.
1983 CJ-8 frame
1986 CJ-10A tub,top and doors.
1983 CJ-8 Hood
1977 CJ grille
1992 YJ fenders
CJ-5 tailgate
New windshield frame.
Cadillac 500 CID engine,and lots of HP parts
Turbo 400
Advance Adapter T 400 to Dana 20 adapter
Dana 20
Dana 60-2 from a 1971 J-4000 35 spline axles 5 on 5.5 lug pattern
Dana 60 Powr-loc 3.54 gears
Dana 44 from a 1978 or so Scout
Dana 44 Powr-loc
4 inch Rancho springs
Edelbrock IAS shocks
Metal for rear bumper
1981 CJ-8 wiring harness
1992 YJ fender flairs
YJ shackles
YJ steering column.
Here's the Tug I bought it home around noon on 6-06-09,we removed the rear fender toolbox combo,the rear bumper,and the 1200 pound weight.
Sunday I removed the lights on top,a few brackets,and the tore out the rubber floor mat.
The only thing I did today was to remove the drivers side fender.All of the bolts broke loose easily and then unscrewed by hand,makes me think I'm working on a newer Jeep. :cheers:

Here's the Tug.
JeepCJ10006-1.jpg

The back of it striped.
JeepCJ10013-1.jpg

Parts headed to the scrap metal yard.
JeepCJ10012-1.jpg

Lights removed.
JeepCJ10016-1.jpg

fender removed.
JeepCJ10015-1.jpg

CJ-8 frame
JeepCJ10017-1.jpg

Another frame shot
JeepCJ10018-1.jpg

Last edited:

CJ ATE

Legacy Registered User
City
Vinton
State
VA
OK I'm a sucker for anything different. Looking forward to this build!!!!:smokin:

Dropped a 500 caddy motor in an old suburban years ago. The torque was unreal even with very little mods. There is a much larger aftermarket for these motors now as well. Can't wait to see the rest of the build my friend.

Later
Sean

Ted Wendel

Jeep nut
City
Richmond
State
VA
OK I'm a sucker for anything different. Looking forward to this build!!!!:smokin:

Dropped a 500 caddy motor in an old suburban years ago. The torque was unreal even with very little mods. There is a much larger aftermarket for these motors now as well. Can't wait to see the rest of the build my friend.

Later
Sean

A friend put a 500 Caddy in a Chevy dually,the only complaint he had was it spun the rear tires too easily.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Awesome! Ted, are you finally building something for yourself??? :rotfl:

CJ ATE

Legacy Registered User
City
Vinton
State
VA
A friend put a 500 Caddy in a Chevy dually,the only complaint he had was it spun the rear tires too easily.

Hmmm sounds familar LOL
Build build and more build that 400! Killed mine in a month after the install!(probably because I just threw it in back in)LOL
Tranny cooler, better bands,TC, and plan your gearing and cam around your target output and use. Sounds like you been down this road before so I wont bore you with the details. LOL

Keep the build pics coming!

Later
Sean

Ted Wendel

Jeep nut
City
Richmond
State
VA
I haven't done much to it in the last two or three weeks.The metal from the back of it has gone to the scrap yard,I got the tub,doors,and hardtop off,Richard hauled the rest home,to use some and sell some of it.I can't believe how easy all the bolts (including torx) came out,every one of them came right out.Here's a picture of the tub.

Jeep004-1.jpg

Ted Wendel

Jeep nut
City
Richmond
State
VA
Not much progress to report,I got the rear Dana 60-2 35 spline axles back from Moser,I had 10 1/8 inches cut off of the one on the right,and 3 inches off of the one one the left.The housing should be back this week.The Dana 60-2 came out of a 1971 J-4000 I parted out,it's already 5 on 5.5 lug pattern.

Dana44004-1.jpg

Here's a picture of a Dana 44 30 spline beside the 35 spline.The 30 spline is for Nick's CJ-8 we had a Scout II rear 44 cut down 3 1/2 inches on the drivers side.

Dana44005-1.jpg

Ted Wendel

Jeep nut
City
Richmond
State
VA
I got the Dana 60-2 housing back tonight.It will be about 52 1/4 inches wide WMS to WMS with drum brakes,or about 52 3/4 with disc brakes,about halfway between a narrow and a wide track.

Dana602005-1.jpg

Dana602006-1.jpg

Last edited:

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
How did you get the old plug welds out of the pumpkin to shorten the housing?

And how bad was it once you got that done.

Carl

Ted Wendel

Jeep nut
City
Richmond
State
VA
How did you get the old plug welds out of the pumpkin to shorten the housing?

And how bad was it once you got that done.

Carl
A friend of mine did it,he put it in a big milling machine,used up about 4 end mills.500 pounds of pressure on the press and the tubes said pop,then about 300 pounds to press them the rest of the way out.He then cut the tubes to length and machined them for a four thousands press fit,he machined a little lip on the end and used some kind of urethane to seal them,and then a BIG MiG welder to re-weld the plug holes,it uses .120 wire.

Last edited:

Ted Wendel

Jeep nut
City
Richmond
State
VA
Well I finally got to work on it a little again.I got the gears in the Dana 60 done.

Dana60001-1.jpg

Here it is with the cover on it.

Dana60003-1.jpg

Ted Wendel

Jeep nut
City
Richmond
State
VA
My Pop got a set of disc brakes for the rear of his Ford pickup,he couldn't get a brake pedal he liked so off they came.He gave them to me,and with a few modifications I got them to fit on the Dana 60-2.It's a good thing too,because most of the 12 inch drum brake stuff it had is obsolete.

Discbrakes001-1.jpg

Discbrakes002-1.jpg