• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Cj-8 Postal

sgt.

LOVE MY SCRAMBLER'S
City
westminster
State
md
Does anybody know if there is a problem with registering a right-hand drive Postal in Maryland.

I'm real close to buying one from Alaska. Waiting on pictures. I owner states there is no rust other than the driver's side floor.

Anybody know what Postals are worth. I assumed a lot being there were only about 300 made.

see ya!:D

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Postals! Woohoo!

You won't have a single problem registering it, no one will even know that it's right-hand drive. You'll just have to decide if you want to point out to the inspector that he needs to get in on the other side. I didn't and it was quite amusing.

Are you going to drive it back from Alaska? I have some great advice if you are!

Value is a tough one to figure. BTW, there were 230 of them made according to the USPS.

I hope you've seen my webpage as well as Dan Morrisey's. My page is in my signature, I have USPS documents about the history of the Postals. We also have a Yahoo email group for the postals. Search the groups for akpostal and you should find us.

Good luck with everything! Ask away if you have questions or anything.

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
We'll wake up one day and think the British have taken the colonies back by all the people driving from the wrong side of the vehicle;)

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Ok...Volkswagens are German. And actually, VW's are pretty cool. Thay were the first small van, and the first small van available with 4wd. And..the only van that doesn't scream "Soccer mom"! (It screams "Beach Party") And, who wouldn't want a "Thing"?

French cars would be Peugots or Citronens (SP?) No wonder the french are so......How would you feel if you had to drive one of these around? They make that bathtub hardtop CJ-6 wanna-be look downright beautiful!

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
Oh no!

Mentioning the French brought to mind- didn't AMC get in bed w/ the French during the '80s when they were trying anything to survive?

I don't like that DC owns Jeep now, but it is definitely better than having Jeeps come with white flags attached to the antennea(sp).

fisherman

Whew, was that you?
City
brunswick
State
md
French

I don't like that DC owns Jeep now, but it is definitely better than having Jeeps come with white flags attached to the antennea(sp).
......LOL!:) :p :D

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Careful, there...we're all trying to forget that bit of history.:mad:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Of course...since with the D of DC providing influence, I think we should all request the new Scrambler as a "Rubi-mog"- a TJ style Scrambler with Unimog axles!:D

MadGoat

Basic User
I'm well aware of where volkswagons come from. I was referring to the fact that if it were not for the US (and the Jeep perhaps) all of Europe would be driving volkswagons. The French could not stop them (the Germans) and the Brits could not have held out indefinitely. It was more a poke at the french than at volkswagons. Sorry for the confusion.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Oh...I was thinking more recent....but I get it now! (and no offense intended by my reply, either);)

tom keyes

1981 CJ-8
City
Louisville
State
co
I think of VW vans and I get a image of Dead head hippies. unwashed and unkempt! You know I grew up here in Boulder the land of the crappy VW vans blocking up the roads to the high country.................

PS I have long hair too but there is a huge difference between a long hair jeep loven guy and a long hair VW kind of guy. Can you smell the Pachulie ? Yuck!

Christ if Iraq starts building 4 wheel drive anything I'm still not buying it or a german, french, japanese, vietnam, russian, cuban, north korean etc. etc. vehicle..........

But a AK Postal I would be happy trail around in or with. If it is in good enough shape? go for it. You are buying History!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Back on topic... did you go through with this? What's the status on the purchase?? I'm dying to know.

sgt.

LOVE MY SCRAMBLER'S
City
westminster
State
md
Postal Nuts Unite

My 1 of 230 postal scramblers will be here in July. Man then I'm told I'm getting sent to Florida for 3 weeks for training when the jeep is going to be dropped off. I had to work on that.

A few of the Maryland Scramblers Assc. members got to together once and the looks we got. Cool

BW, Can you imagine 2 postals parked next to each other. Shoot even at a jeep event, guess whos going to win the rarest jeep trophy. There are more WWII jeeps running around then postals.

I just have to make sure I split my parts money with my other scrambler.

I will keep in touch:D