• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Coffee walk!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
And you want to be exceptionally thorough to figure out if what's advertised is actually what you're getting. I know of two "bait and switch" stories folks on here had with them. I've met both folks in person and seen the two Jeeps they ended up with. Just fair warning.

chazman

City
Roselle
State
Il
And you want to be exceptionally thorough to figure out if what's advertised is actually what you're getting. I know of two "bait and switch" stories folks on here had with them. I've met both folks in person and seen the two Jeeps they ended up with. Just fair warning.

No kidding! Thanks!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Do your research. Lots to read out there on them, not just on here.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
No but scramfam and marine op-law are the two folks I’m citing specifically and both were a number of years ago. I don’t remember to what extent they went into detail on the forum, I thought at least Jerry/Marine Op-law had a thread detailing his experience.

I knew both personally and met/talked with them about it all multiple times. Simply put they both had the definition of “bait and switch” vehicle purchase experiences. Both basically flew down to buy a Scrambler that wasn’t as advertised and ended up settling for a different Scrambler so the trip wasn’t “wasted.” While they ended up with nice Jeeps, neither was happy with the experience.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
You have to remember that Dennis is purely in this to make money. Nothing wrong with that but that is his end goal. Being in TX he is in the middle of an area with lots of nice, dry, Jeeps. He does not keep up with the cutting edge of CJ collecting and will always be behind on things like the bumper end caps being reproduced (in plastic and aluminum from different sources) as well as CJ-7 Jamboree info (the white one he has was NOT the last one made). Members here have, or have access to, more current and trending info on CJ’s then Dennis. His fame from TV is the one thing that gets him all the exposure. Though it is cool to see original and rare CJ’s being represented as the collector items they are!

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I don't even think CJ's are his prime business, at least not anymore. Their prime market is "customizing" newer JK and JL jeeps with their in house "Black Mountain" line of accessories.

I would not hesitate buying something from them, I just would want to know what I am getting before laying down the money.

I bought a used grill from them, the price was not cheap, but it was not out of line for what I would have paid somewhere else. Especially considering the fact I was in Dallas visiting friends, so the shipping was $0.

Just like on Craigslist, e-bay, local classified ads, Facebook Marketplace, etc...: Caveat Emptor, Let the Buyer Beware.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Cool vid. Thanks for sharing. I've poked around a few things with CB over the years. My intuition always screeches very loudly when dealing with them, and their prices have always been so high that I've passed on what I was looking at and bought elsewhere (usually here). They definitely have some nice stuff.

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I will never deal with them again. Years ago when I was looking for a tub I found one on their site. I called with the item number to make sure we were talking about the same one. I was told $1700 and I had them give me pics of all the damage/rust on it. I made it very clear that I was coming down from Wisconsin so be very accurate with the condition. I flew down and not only was there a lot more rust on it, but they changed the price to $3500!!!! I said no way and started walking out. On my way out I saw a scrambler tub sitting on a scrap pile. I looked at it and it was actually in much better shape than the other one. Dennis said he wasn't even sure what to do with it so he was just going to scrap it. So I told him I would pay scrap price. Nope, he said $800 final price. So that's what I ended up with just so the trip wasn't a waste. Honestly, I wish I didn't. But I just couldn't find one at the time.

chazman

City
Roselle
State
Il
Still no response from my email. After reading Ron's post, sounds like I should be glad.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
When I was there over new years they claimed to not have any scrambler tubs in stock. They might have had one scrambler in the shop being cleaned up, but not really being overhauled.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I will never deal with them again. Years ago when I was looking for a tub I found one on their site. I called with the item number to make sure we were talking about the same one. I was told $1700 and I had them give me pics of all the damage/rust on it. I made it very clear that I was coming down from Wisconsin so be very accurate with the condition. I flew down and not only was there a lot more rust on it, but they changed the price to $3500!!!! I said no way and started walking out. On my way out I saw a scrambler tub sitting on a scrap pile. I looked at it and it was actually in much better shape than the other one. Dennis said he wasn't even sure what to do with it so he was just going to scrap it. So I told him I would pay scrap price. Nope, he said $800 final price. So that's what I ended up with just so the trip wasn't a waste. Honestly, I wish I didn't. But I just couldn't find one at the time.

Wow, I don't even think I knew about this story! Sorry Ron.

This is freaking exactly how the stories I DO know go, but they were for entire vehicles.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Found the post by ScramFan that I was talking about. This was immediately after his drive back from TX to MI with it. As I remember, he came to have a stronger feeling about the "switch" as he got to know the Jeep more and it's helpful to know that he had rather significant means (when he comments about the "steep" price.) This makes it sound like he maybe just misjudged from photos, but I recall that he'd also had extensive discussions with people at CB that led him to believe what he thought when he flew down. It only makes sense that you'd talk to them at length before flying from MI to TX :shrug: So take from this what you will.

"Here's the super short version of the story...

Jim and I pulled into the CB parking lot -- man it looked good. Then we got close... different story. My father in law warned me that they always look better in the pictures. That was truly the case. After about 2 minutes I knew I wasn't driving it home. Jim was a good sounding board. I decided to walk away from the deal. I had a returning flight booked for Sunday.

Then I saw it. (insert theme music here) It was in one of the side lots. A beautiful black 1983 Larado -- high-ticket paint, new stock stickers, rebuilt motor, Mopar fuel injection, drove straight, no play in the steering, ice-cold AC, T5... But the price was steep. After some back and fourth we got it to a managable price and I signed the papers. I have no regrets. It's really nice. And it got nicer and nicer the more I drove it."

It was a very nice Scrambler (to be fair it was actually so nice that he ended up selling it because it was "too nice to use" and bought another, all-original Scrambler from AZ.) He really enjoyed it for some time (until he realized it was "too nice") but you can see the similarity to Ron's story.

I can't seem to find anything from Jerry/Marine-OpLaw on his thoughts on his purchase process, but he was considerably less happy in the end with the one he bought from in-person discussions.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I find many of the errors laughable and yes question his numbers and export logic.

The one error that really gets me is the hood catch info. All scramblers and 76-86 CJs for that matter had silver painted steel hood catches and hardware, no matter what trim level.