• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

First Post

APate79

City
Dundee
State
Fl
Looking to do a little trading with an old boy who has a 83 CJ8. It has the 258 with a 4 speed. Soft top and doors. Some bondo . Just trying to put a ballpark down for trading. Not sure whats going on with the rollbars? thanks for any help!
Pictures attached IMG_5099.jpegIMG_5101.jpegIMG_5104.jpegIMG_5112.jpeg

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
That roll bar was lopped off for a reason. The rear fender flares have been raised up a couple inches. Maybe the fender wells have been raised up as well and the roll bar wouldn't clear so it was modified. Most people raise the body up for more clearance, this old boy went a different route.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Hard to put a price without more pictures and information. If the frame is good and it's not crusty and rusty underneath, and it runs and functions good, then it should be in the 5K plus or minus range. It'll take some work to repair the body and related parts to get it back to where it should be. The sides of the body may have been rusted out under the fender flares and then cut out and wheel wells moved up rather than fix it properly. Need to look it over real well. Hopefully if you like it, you can trade something for it that works out well for both of you. Those chopped off roll bars might make good fishing pole holders if you park on the beach next to the water.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
The roll bar almost looks like it was chopped and then made into a dual exhaust stack like a few pickups I have seen.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Not to be a wet blanket but this is saying “make-it-work” to me. I’d crawl all over it with a fine tooth comb. As mentioned, he did what I did in moving the rear flares up after cutting off the lip of the wheel well. I’d put a serious eye to the frame and undersides of the floors. If the wheel wells were rusted out that badly, there’s more in there.

APate79

City
Dundee
State
Fl
Here are two more pictures the owner has sent. Does it look like the fender wells have been replaced? Any ideas on the value of this, i real dont know
if its worth $5,000 or $15,000 ? Thanks for y'alls help

iIMG_5121.jpegIMG_5122.jpeg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
You don’t have enough here to even ballpark the price. Have to have frame/suspension/steering photos, know something about condition of the drivetrain and more. There’s no way it’s more than about 4000 in my book. That rollbar chop is completely half-assed. Aside from the general poor idea, it looks like it’s not even close to properly welded and has one bolt through each foot on the wheelwell. On top of that he just dropped it on top of the rolled channel on top of the wheelwell.

IMO Do not make any offer on this until you’ve crawled all over it in person and driven it. Just my :twocents: