• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Gazzo's Down-under CJ thread

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Did we ever have a black engine? The one I removed is black all over and the odometers sez 150k kilometers. Hard to think its a recon at that k level but also I haven't ever seen a stock black engine???

Sent from my iPhone

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
As I recall, jeep went to the black engines in the 1983 model year. The valve cover was also black. Before that it was a blue engine and a blue valve cover molded in blue plastic.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
And speaking of plastic valve covers they were an '81 and up thing I believe. 6 cyls and pretty sure 4 cyls followed suit. 304s retained metal. My '80 6 cyl had a metal valve cover painted blue. Blue engines were all throughout the 70s too.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I agree with Jerseyjeeps. BUT, with everything else "Jeep", there are exceptions to the rules. I was at the dealership when they backed a 1972 Commando off the trailer with several other CJ5s and 1 red CJ-6. The Commando pickup had an all black 401 under the hood with a Turbo=400 and DANA 20, power steering and power brakes. The gentleman that purchased it still has it as of about a year ago. He told me he has left it to me in his "Will". :woot: :wave:

Bryanf

Legacy Registered User
City
Clarkesville
State
GA
I Love This Jeep!!! Very Nice!

mury5eba-1.jpg

aquse3y2-1.jpg

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
I agree with Jerseyjeeps. BUT, with everything else "Jeep", there are exceptions to the rules. I was at the dealership when they backed a 1972 Commando off the trailer with several other CJ5s and 1 red CJ-6. The Commando pickup had an all black 401 under the hood with a Turbo=400 and DANA 20, power steering and power brakes. The gentleman that purchased it still has it as of about a year ago. He told me he has left it to me in his "Will". :woot: :wave:

Hmmm
I like commandos AND 401's

Sent from my iPhone

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I prefer the front end you posted. Here is the "bullnose" style I was talking about and what the front end on the one Toby was talking about would look like.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388157369.173527.jpg

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Hmmm
I like commandos AND 401's

Sent from my iPhone

I have fallen in love with Commandos
e6arura7-1.jpg

Saw this one in Venice Beach the night we flew home to Oz recently.
nagy9uze-1.jpg

Love it.

Hmmm still trying to get the hang of this tapatalk forum styleee. What's above was done weeks ago :confused:
Anyways, got down for a swim in the weeds after diggin holes all day
sequmepe-1.jpg

Oh yeah and used it to roll down a newly layed road base driveway
9yje7a9u-1.jpg

Kinda fun, kinda boring.....PFFFT whatever at least I got to ride in my jeep

Sent from my iPhone

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Every member other than gazzo fails miserably for not letting me know that this thread existed! :eek: :banghead: :angry:

:rotfl:

Holy mother of Jeepy awesomeocity :drool: I now have a new bucket list item to see that amazing red Overlander in person, on that beach, while drinking beer and eating BBQ. :bow: :bow: :bow:

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
BW. How could you miss it ???? Get with the program. We aren't gonna hold your hand. ;)

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
This was over Christmas when I was out of town and not on the forum much at all.

Regardless, I usually get multiple emails/PMs/texts when a topic like this (World Cab/Postal) pops up and people haven't seen me respond.

FAIL!!! :D

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
This was over Christmas when I was out of town and not on the forum much at all.

Regardless, I usually get multiple emails/PMs/texts when a topic like this (World Cab/Postal) pops up and people haven't seen me respond.

FAIL!!! :D

You must be new around here! :rotfl:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
You must be new around here! :rotfl:

LOLOL too funny. :thumbsup:

It's all joking of course, but I do usually get heads-up from folks on things just like this. Hopefully bumping this will catch a lot of folks who were otherwise occupied over the holidays :cheers:

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Every member other than gazzo fails miserably for not letting me know that this thread existed! :eek: :banghead: :angry:

:rotfl:

Holy mother of Jeepy awesomeocity :drool: I now have a new bucket list item to see that amazing red Overlander in person, on that beach, while drinking beer and eating BBQ. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Are you sure you didn't get a PM from me about a "Dune'n Road Trip"? Just 'cause I typed it out does'nt mean it got to you though....:shrug: :wave:

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
Lifetime Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
What next??? SOA National in OZ????