• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Giving it a Jolt

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Radiator, overflow and fan shroud out. Going to need to figure out a solution to close up where the radiator was.
Will keep posting even though this is basic for most of you. It’s my first time taking apart a Jeep and I know this group loves pictures.
978A6879-C85A-47EA-BA8E-A371DFB34139.jpeg2FFB39B6-2A77-469E-AE95-9709BCED55FE.jpeg

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Are you going to use a cooling system for the batteries and/or motor(s).

If so, use the stock radiator as a heat exchanger.

What voltage are you planning to run?

What BMS are you planning to use?

What Motor Controller and Motor are you planning to use?

I converted my club car precedent from SLA batteries to salvaged Leaf batteries. I’m using a BMS from ZEVA out of Australia. Removing the weight of the SLA and the increased voltage (and increased discharge rate capacity) of the Lithium Ion really woke it up and made it a mini race car.

The Volt (or Bolt?) batteries are liquid cooled. If you used stock GM batteries you could use the radiator as a heat exchanger.

There are many different vendors of new LiPo batteries from China on Alibaba. They also have BMS and chargers there too.

There are so many different ways to go electric now-a-days. Exciting!

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA

I converted my club car precedent from SLA batteries to salvaged Leaf batteries. I’m using a BMS from ZEVA out of Australia. Removing the weight of the SLA!

We are Jeep guys......what language is this:shrug:
?

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
BMS = Battery Management System (keeps the batteries from over charging or over discharging)

SLA = Sealed Lead Acid (actually, the original batteries were FLA - flooded lead acid).

:P :ROFLMAO:

cblfhs

Quadriplegic Cj8 <3er
Lifetime Member
City
Highland Park
State
IL
As a side note, I have a 19 gallon tank and skid plate if anyone is looking. I’ll also have any parts related to the combustion engine (including the engine with Mopar MPFI) in the future.

I’m interested in the tank but shipping would be a beer, I’m in Chicagoland area

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Are you going to use a cooling system for the batteries and/or motor(s).

If so, use the stock radiator as a heat exchanger.

What voltage are you planning to run?

I converted my club car precedent from SLA batteries to salvaged Leaf batteries. I’m using a BMS from ZEVA out of Australia. Removing the weight of the SLA and the increased voltage (and increased discharge rate capacity) of the Lithium Ion really woke it up and made it a mini race car.

The Volt (or Bolt?) batteries are liquid cooled. If you used stock GM batteries you could use the radiator as a heat exchanger.

There are many different vendors of new LiPo batteries from China on Alibaba. They also have BMS and chargers there too.

There are so many different ways to go electric now-a-days. Exciting!

I am planning to use Tesla Model S batteries so I should not need cooling for them. I will be running at 144 volts (7 batteries) using a Dilithium controller. At the moment I am leaning towards the NetGain Hyper 9 ACX1 HV. It pushes 173 ft/lb of torque and 120 HP so it should be adequate but I am having a tough time getting decent literature to decide which motor is best suited for a small truck.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
but I am having a tough time getting decent literature to decide which motor is best suited for a small truck.

The BIG one(motor that is). :headbang:

8 years ago or so a friend wanted me and a buddy to make her 1993 Ford Ranger 2wd electric. There was not much on the market then and we talked her out of it. Seems times have changed alot.

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Why do you need to close it up?
I probably don’t need to but I would like to reduce direct water flow onto the engine and it may look cavernous from the front. As it stands now, I probably will have a battery box right there so it may serve several purposes.

jgkjgk

Basic User
City
Atlanta
State
GA
Looks great! I am interested in the EFI setup or the complete engine if you haven't already sold. I sent a PM a few days ago so you can reply there or here whichever works best for you.

Thanks,

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
While I wait for the motor and electronics to show up, working on a few other items. Have to swap in a manual steering box. I have always had one broken bolt holding the bracket and was planning to fix that. Second one broke. They are both soaking in PB, will heat and tap with the BFH to break the rust but struggling with how best to get a grip. Maybe slot it with the dremel or square off the round so I can get a pipe wrench on it.
880EE21E-169B-4AAB-B884-07928B78F1B7.jpeg880EE21E-169B-4AAB-B884-07928B78F1B7.jpeg

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
If you have a welder. A nut slightly larger than the broken bolt. Cleaned up the broken bolt and weld nut with a lot of heat filling center. Have a coffee can of water near by. Quench immediately after. Sometimes it will spin out by hand. If nut breaks with bolt you will have to drill and tap. Or... if no welder...heat broken bolt till red and quench. The shock may break the scale.

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
If you have a welder. A nut slightly larger than the broken bolt. Cleaned up the broken bolt and weld nut with a lot of heat filling center. Have a coffee can of water near by. Quench immediately after. Sometimes it will spin out by hand. If nut breaks with bolt you will have to drill and tap. Or... if no welder...heat broken bolt till red and quench. The shock may break the scale.

thanks. No welder so I’ll go the heat route. Never thought about the quench part, makes sense.

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Success. Pipe wrench, BFH and MAP torch were the tools of choice, no quench needed. If I kept the bolt hot, I could get a grip with the 14” pipe wrench. It’s never let me down, just never used it on the Jeep.

A10513B0-C90A-43C2-A6AF-AE783119D9E7.jpegF579F947-50CB-4264-B8E1-9DD0BDB481F5.jpeg