First the Wagoneer - now the JT. Hopefully the JT doesn't meet the same fate as the Wagoneer and get the boot.
2022 model year with 49k trouble free miles. Only issue I've ever really had were the two batteries going bad on me at the first of this year. Replaced them both. Sadly, these days having original batteries that last more than 3 years is unheard of.
Last week I was halfway into a 4 hr trip back home and the JT got unhappy. Lights on the dash, chimes, etc. I pulled over, scanned the codes, cleared them, and was on my way without issue. I knew this wasn't the end of my issues - just wanted to get home.
About an hour later it happened again. This time the JT was offended. Offended I didn't take things seriously the 1st time. Same issues as before but this time the truck decided it was going to pout by only allowing me to do 9 mph! I pulled over, cleared the same codes, and somehow was on my way again. I got home without further incident.
I decided I needed to drive the wheels off it to get it to act up again and see if I could fix something and/or "gasp" take it to the dealer. I drove it everyday everywhere leaving the JL and JK to sit. No issues at all - until this past Monday. So 6 days after the first round of battle. Monday I had the same scenario as the 2nd time last week. Lights, chimes, and limp mode of 9mph. It was SO MUCH FUN this happening during rush hour traffic with my daughter with me trying to get her to dance class. Once again I was able to clear codes and get it almost home. Happened again while turning into the neighborhood.
This final 4th time was different, however. More codes and more lights. Even the shifter lights changed to all orange. After parking it and shutting it down I tried to clear codes and crank it. The JT said, "no soup for you!" and would not crank. The cherry on top of this fun was that it would also not shut down. It stayed in the RUN mode with everything working except the starter. The only way I could get it to shut down was to disconnect both batteries. I reached out to
@rubclt for help and he was able to use Grok to come up with some tests to perform. Sadly, none of the tests would fix the JT. We tried everything from checking the battery voltage, cables being tight, chassis grounds in good order, etc... Error codes essentially say the TCM is in time-out and not talking to anyone and the entire can-bus system is on Spring Break.
Off to the dealer it went yesterday. And of course I am out of warranty. You can see how happy I am watching the tow truck driver take it. More to come.


