• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Hayduke's Operation: Scrambled Scrambler

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Ok, did you guys run a centerline to measure from? I'm mainly concerned with the front two mounts. The previous owner of the frame welded on outside frame plates and then started to put the front mounts back on. I don't know if he accounted for the difference in frame width.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I did not need to. I assumed mine would line up as there was no extra metal on it. I would compensate for the thickness of the added metal. I still have my old frame and can take measurements

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
I started prepping the rear of the frame last night. I got frame cleaned up and the cross member and the first body mount wing (which was missing) ready to be welded in place.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
Since I have a glass body and I bought all new mounts I simply placed the body on the frame with the front end bolted together. I then bolted down the front center mount and centered the whole tub off of that. Then I placed each body mount tab under the jeep exactly where I wanted them and tack welded them in place. I removed the body and fully welded them after that.

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
I put in a lot of hours of prep on the frame again this weekend, unbolted anything remaining, then Many hours of paint stripping to take it down to bare metal. I decided to do this before replacing all the body mount wings and other welding work. I still have more to do. Unfortunately, I found some more small holes in the inner frame wall in places. I haven't decided how carried away to get in replacing or plating these areas, but I'll for sure add a few drain holes to let water out. Any suggestions on fixing areas just starting to go?

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
The frames rust out mostly from the inside out. Where you see the small holes on the inside frame the metal is thin (rusting on the inside). You can do all the clean up and paint you want it will still rust from the inside out. I ended up taking 2 cj8 frames to a shop in Indianapolis In. and had them acid dipped. First frame I painted the inside as well as the outside (sitting in the shop for another build when I finish the cj8 and cj7). By the time I did the second frame I learned more about epoxy primer and shot the inside and outside with epoxy then enamel paint. Reason I learned about the rust from the inside out is I rebuilt the cj7 around 1996 and had the frame sandblasted. Three years later I had the engine pulled and rebuilt by a shop (over the winter). In the spring, I checked out the engine and found he left the jeep sit in a field behind the shop over the winter. 2 years later while doing work under the jeep I saw the holes on the rear, inter frame by the front mount of the rear springs. Ended up doing a complete rebuild including a new frame up restore. With the body/skid plate off you could see the pin holes. Took a hammer to it and once opened you could see how much of the metal was rotted away (and how much was thin and ready to go). In out weather, warm wet ground, cool to cold air causes the moisture to rise from the ground and get trapped under the jeep and condense in the frame. The first frame I had acid dipped I got from a guy in Mi. who sandblasted the frame and welded in patch pieces on the inside of the frame. Looked good but I remembered my first build and played it safe and acid dipped it. When I went to pick it up I found new pin holes where the skid plate mounts (on the inside walls). Ended up plating the inside walls where the pin holes were, knowing the metal was thin throughout the section. I would either cut out the section with the pin holes (don't be surprised if the damage goes a couple inches beyond the pin holes. Then treat the inside of the frame to seal the metal. Sorry for long explanation.

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Thanks for the feedback. The last frame I Por15'd I did both sides. After cleaning out the frame, I taped each frame rail shut & poured a quart or so of Por15 inside the frame rail and then we tiped, flipped, and rolled, the frame around to cote the inside. in the end we poured out what was left and let it dry. That was many years ago and it seems to be holding up.

I finished paint removal and rear cross member. Then I ran a center line and started doing me body mount wings this weekend.

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Hi Guys, For the third to last cross member over the gas tank with the body mount holes in it, I'm trying to determine where the holes go? I don't have a decent one to measure and the factory manual does not show them? Any measurements or pictures you could post would be appreciated! I'm going to replace the missing part of the member & need to know how to measure for where the holes go. In from the frame rails, from the center, etc.?

Last edited:

Graveltravels

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Red Deer
State
AB
I've got a bare frame outside right now. When I get home, I'll pull the tape measure out and shoot you some pics. Or shoot me a text, and I can send them to ya that way. 4O3 three 50 one 83 one. Mike

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I can measure the frame in my backyard as well. I will do it in the morning if you still need it.

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Yeah, I think I may burn in steel from one of the body wing that was not rusted out. Measurements would be appreciated!

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Took some pics and measurements. The center of the hole is 4" from the outside of the frame. And the holes are 29.5 inches apart (center to center)
IMG_7329.jpg
IMG_7331.jpg
IMG_7330.jpg
IMG_7332.jpg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Let me know if you need any other measurements

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Thanks Dain, so measuring from the front top of the cross member back to the leading edge of the mount hole. Would is it closer to 5/8 or 3/4 back?

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Thanks Dain, so measuring from the front top of the cross member back to the leading edge of the mount hole. Would is it closer to 5/8 or 3/4 back?

Let me go and remeasure to get a better number for you.

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Thanks for the measurements guys. I started by cutting a piece out of a decent body mount wing, but it was much to thick. So I just burned in new steel the same thickness and drilled new holes with a big step drill. The cross member is repaired:

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
The body mount wings are all in place, now I just need to remove a little more paint and reinforce the inner frame wall where it's getting thin.

Hayduke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Withrop Harbor
State
IL
Question Time: Does anyone know what this vent / tray thing circled is for in the picture below?

Offer: Does anyone want these body mount wings that are somewhat salvageable? I'm willing give these to someone if they want to pay for shipping. I Don't know if anyone would want them, but figured I'd ask before scraping them.

I got my frame flipped over and started working on the bottom this weekend: Paint to remove, broken bolts to drill out, and soft frame sections to repair...