• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Heading to Michigan UP

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
I am heading out tomorrow morning to head up to Pelkie Michigan to pick up a 1963 M170. This will be the longest trip ever taken, to buy a Jeep. I live in Mass. and have traveled to Kentucky, Maryland, Pittsburg, to bring back Jeeps. But this will be about 18 hours of driving (with any luck) . But, I am getting to the point where I am getting tired of rust repair and have decided, that if I had to drive less than a week , round trip, it was a lot easier than spending months on rust repairs. If the Duramax holds up, it should be a fun trip. I will post pictures as I go. Its almost a Scrambler, well kind of. But I thought you guys would enjoy. Maybe one or two of you could buy me lunch along the way. Or I will post a SOS, in case I break down.
63 M170.jpgM170-4.jpg

AtomicYJ

Basic User
City
Battle Ground
State
WA
That looks like an early CJ-6 tub at least. M170s have a longer door cutout on the passenger side to load litters since they were used as a field ambulance. Still a really cool jeep and looks like a fun project. Good luck with the trip!

Edit: when I zoom in close enough it looks like someone welded in a door patch to make it look like a CJ-6. Still pretty damn cool

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
We qre heading to our house at Silver Lake Sand Dunes today and will be there all week. Brad will be there this weekend also. I'll PM you my number. Lunch is on me. Safe travels .:wave:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Looks kinda like you found John Wayne's Hatari Jeep. Nice find ! Don't blame you a bit for driving a long way to stay out of the rusty ones.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
That looks like an early CJ-6 tub at least. M170s have a longer door cutout on the passenger side to load litters since they were used as a field ambulance. Still a really cool jeep and looks like a fun project. Good luck with the trip!

Edit: when I zoom in close enough it looks like someone welded in a door patch to make it look like a CJ-6. Still pretty damn cool
I was gonna say, that tub has the battery box in the cowl and the power port on the side. The blue paint and CJ grill show that it was civilian-ized at some point, but I think it's still a legit M170. I see that weld-line you're talking about too.

Still a really cool find!

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Very cool! Drive safe and don't forget to take lots of pictures!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Drive safe and I hope my home state treats you well. Wish you were coming down this way more!

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
Looks like a great find. I'm near Grand Rapids if you need anything along the way :headbang:

AtomicYJ

Basic User
City
Battle Ground
State
WA
I was gonna say, that tub has the battery box in the cowl and the power port on the side. The blue paint and CJ grill show that it was civilian-ized at some point, but I think it's still a legit M170. I see that weld-line you're talking about too.

Still a really cool find!

The hole on the side of the tub was weird, but a welded up battery box and hood snorkel cut out made to about '65 on CJ-5s and 6s. Whoever owned it probably wanted a more civilian Jeep or made a good one out of two. I do think it started out as an M170 though with the weird gas fill location and two piece glass for the windshield.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Yeh, but man its lucky it was from Arizona originally. Its very nice.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Drive safe and I hope my home state treats you well. Wish you were coming down this way more!

What part where you in? I think I covered every damn inch of that freaking state. It takes like 8 hours to get from the bottom of it to the top where Pelkie is. And to think, next year in June or July, I get to do it again. This time for the pair of M38A1's still up there. We have to plan a meet and then take me to those darn sand dunes everyone goes to. I will have the M38A1 registered before I get there. I have to be honest though, I did not like going through Detroit ! Sorry, but damn man.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
But you all do have a great bridge. When the wind ain't blowing and it was blowing both days. I got in at around 2300 hors last night. This was 0830 this morning in the rain, giving it a thorough pressure washing. Put the fenders and hood back on and windshield. This is one sweet rust free 170. I know the opening on the passenger side looks like a CJ-6, but that's because someone want to fit CJ-6 top on. I do like this Jeep. Plans are to keep it pretty much stock with green paint and markings. The 416 will look good behind it, so now I have to paint that the same olive drab, but still with the RTT. IMG_0006.JPGIMG_0007.JPGIMG_0008.JPGIMG_0009.JPGIMG_0010.JPGIMG_0011.JPGIMG_0006.JPGIMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Plan on the week of July 27 through August 4. Should be a bunch of us there at that time. :bacon: :wave:

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Definitely worth the trip. When I come up next year, its going to be for a week, to take some time and explore the UP. Do some fishing wheeling and camping. Late June, early July. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet anyone, but the buyer moved up the date he was closing down his camp and leaving, so it was a turn and burn for me. Wish I could have gotten a free meal though. :P Next year, put it on your calendar, no turn and burn. I'm getting to old for that. I looked at the map today and still can't believe I covered over 2500 miles in two days, and din't fall asleep once behind the wheel. o_OIMG_0024.JPGIMG_0025.JPGIMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Real nice looking Jeep ! That is a long 2 day ride. Is padding for that seat in the plan for the return trip ? :)