• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

High Output Alternator recommendations?

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Anyone recommend an Alternator with higher output than the oem replacement?

Are they typically in stock at parts stores, or do they have to be special ordered?

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I had a Mean Green in my Land Cruiser for years without issue. My Jeep has a 351W and I was able to get a 125 amp at the Napa.

I didn't check whether they had one for a 258, but I know nothing was offered for the Toyota 2F by Napa or the others.
That was the only reason I got the Mean Green.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Post #331:

I used an off the shelf NAPA alternator, 93 amp, bolted right into the OEM V-belt brackets. I did have to "re-clock" the alternator, other then that, simple bolt in swap.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I’ve been running a mean green for the past 8 years. No problems

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
I can get one at Napa, 85Amp, for around $85. Or A mean green, 120Amp for around $300+. Hmmmm

Is 85 Amp enough to just run 2 fog and 2 driving lights (non-LED). ?

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Check out Powermaster. Cheaper than Mean Green. I have a new alternator in my basement that is a corvette replacement. Suppose to be bolt in( might need to be clocked though). Brand and part # will do no good since I bought it 25+ years ago and # doesn't pull anything up when goggle searching for it. I bought in back in the days of "Jeep-L" (anybody else remember that) long before there was any type of useful internet searches and stuff.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I can get one at Napa, 85Amp, for around $85. Or A mean green, 120Amp for around $300+. Hmmmm

Is 85 Amp enough to just run 2 fog and 2 driving lights (non-LED). ?
What wattage lights. You might be just fine with the stock alternator.

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Does anyone know if the stock 258 alternators are compatible with the MOPAR (94'Wrangler) MPI Fuel Injection conversion I have? I would assume it wouldn't make a difference, but I've heard people say otherwise..(?)

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
Does anyone know if the stock 258 alternators are compatible with the MOPAR (94'Wrangler) MPI Fuel Injection conversion I have? I would assume it wouldn't make a difference, but I've heard people say otherwise..(?)
I have the Mopar MPI kit on two of my Scrambler‘s. I didn’t have to do any modifications when it came to the alternators. Still running the factory style alternators.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I put LED H4 headlight globes in my Hella H4s and it made a huge difference in the draw at night. Now with heater, wipers and lights on at night my lights don't brighten noticeably when I rev the engine. They did before. ( mind you, i have no radio in my 8 because that would drown out the music of my 351W).

85 amps should be more than enough for a vehicle like ours which has no real mod-cons to speak off. Yes, winching may draw down your battery a bit, but how often do you plan to winch for 30 minutes and then shut the engine right off before the battery can recharge?

If you decide to add air con, power windows, seat heaters, heated steering wheel and a 12' screen radio with amps and doof-doof speakers, then you'll need a Mean Green.... and thick skin to ignore all the laughing.

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
I put LED H4 headlight globes in my Hella H4s and it made a huge difference in the draw at night. Now with heater, wipers and lights on at night my lights don't brighten noticeably when I rev the engine. They did before. ( mind you, i have no radio in my 8 because that would drown out the music of my 351W).

85 amps should be more than enough for a vehicle like ours which has no real mod-cons to speak off. Yes, winching may draw down your battery a bit, but how often do you plan to winch for 30 minutes and then shut the engine right off before the battery can recharge?

If you decide to add air con, power windows, seat heaters, heated steering wheel and a 12' screen radio with amps and doof-doof speakers, then you'll need a Mean Green.... and thick skin to ignore all the laughing.
Exactly!

I got the 85Amp today at Napa. It should be enough to power my girlfriend's vibrating seat and glow-in-the-dark oh-shit-bar! lol

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Update! The 85Amp doesn't fit. I think it was for air-conditioned models. But I did get a 78Amp. Works very well.