• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

I created a video on my CJ8 Rust repair let me know your thoughts

FloridaMan

City
PARRISH
State
FL
Dont beat me up too much this is my first time tackling any kind of rust repair. If you have any pointers please let me know, if you guys would like to see more of the videos let me know!

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
I can sympathize with that, bad things can happen with things that spin really fast. I was also amazed how close your fingers were to that cutoff wheel when you first started cutting. I've seen those things explode and I wouldn't want any digits near it when it happens!

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Dude, safety guard and thick gloves. The cut off wheels can and will explode if side loaded. When that happens YOU will at best lose skin, and can lose much more, like a finger. And, use two hands gripping the grinder firmly.

Mwood1129

City
Pooler
State
GA
Same rust spots you have. Believe me you won’t regret it. And just think of all the YouTube videos you could make

Attachments

• A2C29E32-18DA-481C-BDD3-8540835F98B6.jpeg
    A2C29E32-18DA-481C-BDD3-8540835F98B6.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 19
  • A330EC6C-D2BB-44EC-9487-0FFA1DDD6630.jpeg
    A330EC6C-D2BB-44EC-9487-0FFA1DDD6630.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 19

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Jeezus dude... like the others, not being a jerk, but agree that is some super dangerous stuff indeed. If you have that posted publicly, I'd be going back in to add major flashing warnings to say that you now realize you were practicing some very dangerous stuff here and should have had the guard in place, gloves, a face shield and safety glasses and been using two hands whenever possible. Think of some young kid seeing this, picking up daddy's grinder to work on their car project and taking out their eye (or worse) repeating what they saw you do.

I always remember this line: Every single thing that's ever gone wrong (with anything, not just grinders) was going fine... right up until it wasn't.

Ask @gr8dain about cutoff wheel/grinder safety. He took one to the face. Luckily it missed his eyes (and he wasn't attractive before anyway). It scared me plenty straight on being exceptionally wary of them. If I'd been watching you doing this, I seriously would have unplugged the grinder and had a talk with you. I wouldn't stay there watching if you didn't get the safety stuff going.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Besides the grinder abuse, what about all the sparks from grinding/welding right next to the gas tank; the gas tank that has the two vent lines dangling off the inner fender mounted rollover/liquid check valve :evil:

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
BW, my first thought was dains experience. I know the guard isn't always convenient, but a side load on cut off wheels will cause a bad time. Gloves, safety glasses and the guard on the grinder are a bare minimum. A jig saw or reciprocating saw are also viable, safer options for cutting metal. I know it seems like we are jumping on you, we just want you to keep your vision and digits so jeeping will continue to be a fun hobby.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
as @bigwalton said, I was not as lucky as you when I was removing body mount wings from the frame of my Scrambler. The cut off wheel split and half flew up i to my face and cut through my nose. 12 stuches. I was glad I was wearing eye protection. But immediately got a face shield after this incident.

17A27404-97C4-47C8-996D-14DB31BE9A4A.jpeg

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
as @bigwalton said, I was not as lucky as you when I was removing body mount wings from the frame of my Scrambler. The cut off wheel split and half flew up i to my face and cut through my nose. 12 stuches. I was glad I was wearing eye protection. But immediately got a face shield after this incident.

View attachment 80113
I knew someone was going to post this.

We're men. We like to live dangerously, but let's be a little more careful

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA

View attachment 80113

That is a life lesson right there.

I may need to re-think some of the stuff I do, which I THOUGHT were safe.

Full face shields are made for a reason.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Question, when you were making a template, would it not be easier to use the piece of metal you cut out, and just trace it on the sheet you are cutting out of? I haven't done this before, but always figured that's how I would cut out metal to weld in.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Question, when you were making a template, would it not be easier to use the piece of metal you cut out, and just trace it on the sheet you are cutting out of? I haven't done this before, but always figured that's how I would cut out metal to weld in.

I imagine it would be too small by the width of the cutting blade (all the way around). I'd copy the hole, rather than copy the drop.