• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Introduction

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
Hey all,

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Bill Thomas and I live in Rochester, Mi. I bought my CJ-8 Laredo in 1996. It was my first jeep and first vehicle that I had bought. Even as a little kid, I had always wanted a Scrambler and when I started working full time at 18 it was the one thing I had to have. I learned a lot over those next few years about working on and maintaining a jeep. Great life lessons! I drove it full time for 4 years as I was working during the day and going to school at night. When I bought my next vehicle, I was lucky enough to hold on to her and she only saw sunny days. Twenty years on, the paint is thin, the engine leaks oil like a sieve and I had my first dime sized rust hole come through the floor pan. Since this jeep will never be sold, I am going to take the plunge this winter a begin a full frame off resto in order to keep it and great shape as long as I can. I am working my way through how I want to approach it and as soon as I do, I will begin a build thread. Here are some shots of what she looks like today. The end goal will be keeping the look exactly the same, just more power and less rust!

IMG_7698.jpgIMG_7700.jpgIMG_7702.jpgIMG_7703.jpgIMG_7704.jpg

My daily driver is a 2015 JKUR on 37s.

IMG_8342.jpgIMG_7615.jpg

For the last couple of years she has consumed the jeep budget, but now the focus will be on the 8 for the next year or more as I get though this build.

I am really excited to be apart of this community! Hopefully I'll be ready by sand blast to test her out!

Griff04

CJ-8 Member
City
Albany
State
Ga
Hey Bill and Welcome,

I haven’t been here long myself but I can promise you that it’s a great place be. Everyone helping everyone. Good luck with the resto, looking forward to following your progress. I’ve come to learn that sometimes the Jeep thing is a “love-hate” kinda thing but really enjoy it, wonder why sometimes though.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Awesome! More Michigan people! Your Scrambler looks awesome, as does the JKU! :cheers:

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
Thanks guys! Let me know if you guys make any winter runs here in Michigan. The scrambler won't be ready, but the JK is always ready to stretch her legs!

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Welcome. Nice 8 and JKUR. I also have a JKUR on 37s. I SO wanted the Hutchinson beads but went with AEV beads for cost savings. In my opinion the Hutchinson’s are one of the best looking beads on the market. Nice build on both.

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
Welcome. Nice 8 and JKUR. I also have a JKUR on 37s. I SO wanted the Hutchinson beads but went with AEV beads for cost savings. In my opinion the Hutchinson’s are one of the best looking beads on the market. Nice build on both.

Thank you! AEV did the original build on the JK, but I bent 3-5 AEV Pintler wheels that I had. I wanted something a lot more beefy for the dirt roads that I run everyday in it, so I when with the Hutchinson's. They are heavy! I considered it for the scrambler too, but I could only bite that bullet once. So I went with the cragar wheels instead to get back as close as I could to factory.

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi

I read your build thread for your 8. One of my favorites and it’s given me a lot of ideas! Great job!

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Permit me to add my WELCOME!

Nice rigs. Look forward to meeting you this coming summer at Sand Blast 11. First weekend in August, well its turned in to the first 9 days or so. Quite a few of us get together at Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Mears, MI for a Scrambler family reunion. :wave:

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
Permit me to add my WELCOME!

Nice rigs. Look forward to meeting you this coming summer at Sand Blast 11. First weekend in August, well its turned in to the first 9 days or so. Quite a few of us get together at Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Mears, MI for a Scrambler family reunion. :wave:

Thank you! 9 days! You guys know how to party! I can’t promise nine days but I will try to get there for part of it!
I’m installing GMRS radios in both rigs this winter so I should be ready!

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Thank you! 9 days! You guys know how to party! I can’t promise nine days but I will try to get there for part of it!
I’m installing GMRS radios in both rigs this winter so I should be ready!

Not everyone stays the whole time, people coming and going as their schedules permit. Check it out in the "Mid West Region" section on here. We do enjoy the fellowship seeing each other. One big happy family. :wave:

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
Not everyone stays the whole time, people coming and going as their schedules permit. Check it out in the "Mid West Region" section on here. We do enjoy the fellowship seeing each other. One big happy family. :wave:

Thanks, I will!