• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Irritating...

jsteed

CJ-8 Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Why would you part this out?

https://collinsbrosjeep.com/parts-jeep-028362/

Yes, it's a 4cyl. Yes, you can usually get more for ALL the parts in total if you sell them all. But why chop up a perfectly good 8? I feel like these guys care a LOT more about $ than the cars that support their livelihood. $1250 for a shipped bulkhead with holes drilled in it? C'mon.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Yep, it's always about money. He probably thought he could make more that way, versus selling as a whole vehicle.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Yep, it's always about money. He probably thought he could make more that way, versus selling as a whole vehicle.
I would have thought a new engine and some other updates would have gotten him a good pay day, but he must know what he is doing I would think.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
My guess would be there is probably a title issue somewhere and they are ultimately just killing off the VIN. That and I suspect the release of the Gladiator and JL have brought the JK platform down reasonable enough for most entry level "family" Jeepers to go that route versus the spartan CJ. It legitimately does make more business sense to part it out in favor of the purity crusaders who already own potentially crusty CJ's versus trying to sell it outright. Sad for sure...but possibly true.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
4 cylinder, base model, ‘81. The combo is just not that desirable. Parts are worth more than the whole.

Sad, but true.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I like the decals on that one. I've been struggling to find something I like with the metallic brown paint.

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I really wish I didn't read this thread. This really is irritating. I find it extremely hard to believe that it wouldn't get a big price tag if he the ditched the 4 banger and swapped in an LS or something and do a mild suspension lift just making it desirable. It wouldn't really cost much and could probably bring in a good profit. I would never have the heart to rip that thing apart. :cautious:

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
I really wish I didn't read this thread. This really is irritating. I find it extremely hard to believe that it wouldn't get a big price tag if he the ditched the 4 banger and swapped in an LS or something and do a mild suspension lift just making it desirable. It wouldn't really cost much and could probably bring in a good profit. I would never have the heart to rip that thing apart. :cautious:

But after you did the LS swap, and trans swap, and axle upgrades, and suspension lift, and all the wiring and detailing involved to make it as user friendly as possible....you've now crept ever so closer to the JK/JKU market bubble with the BIG difference being that the bank will happily finance the JK/JKU, not so much for the 30 year old modified vehicle.

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
All I would add is he is not the only one pulling cj's apart for money. It looks like a nice jeep but its his to do with what he wants. Collins brother's jeeps sell premium jeep parts at a premium price. Nothing has changed with them. That is their MO! I bought a garnet denim front seat from them years ago (2002'ish time frame). Not garnet, "garnet denim." It was in my all original 1986 cj7. I was the second owner. I had bought two other seats from different jeep yards at that time (austin jeeps, and one in California). Everyone had garnet red and I had to ship both seats back.Technology then is not what it is today... lots of headaches saved with smart phones today... I called and talked to someone at Collins brothers at the time. They said they had one and they knew what I was talking about. It came at a premium price even in 2002. I was glad they had stripped that jeep and parted it out. It was a match!!!
At least he is not comp cutting a good rust free body that someone could use for their OEM project. And truly Id be a hypocrite to even say that...
-Some think if its falling apart; then part what is left to save others and that's ok.
- Some think that if you buy a parts jeep to finish their project and sell the remaining parts it ok.
-Some think pulling this jeep apart and selling it is "not" ok.
I guess it prospective.
If I was building my jeep back to original. I know I would not be mad to find an all original body or frame rust free for my project.
Not sure what that price tag looks like in 2020. Im sure its a $4000 plus item for just the body.
I know I've bought and sold enough jeep & jeep parts. So I guess I have a different view point.
Worst case IMO would be to crush this jeep in a salvage yard, get caught in one of todays riots/ get beaten/ watch it burn, or use it as a back stop at a firing range. It can always be worse.

7jeeps7kings (Drew)

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I would rather see a solid Jeep parted to save a more desirable one that for it to just be left to rust away.

In the end, he who owns it gets to decide what to do with it. That is all that matters.

43Duc

Legacy Registered User
City
Mission Viejo
State
CA
Say what you will about CB, but 15 years ago my dad wanted a bone-stock Scrambler w a full-size hardtop, 258, and AC. They found him one, added AC and did a tune-up and shipped it to him for a very reasonable price. It was an Arizona Jeep w/ zero rust. They put new Smittybilt seats in it, factory AC (I'm assuming NOS, it came w/ all the manuals), new brakes and fluids. I don't recall the price, but I have the paperwork and it was a decent deal. I inherited that Jeep a year later and will likely never part with it. Of course I have since emptied every pocket...

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Just watched about 4 other videos. He works all types of vehicles not just Jeeps

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
How about forming a little collective of members, pool some money together, buy what's left of it, build it better, and have an official CJ-8.com or SOA Scrambler. The question would be - where to park it and who gets to drive it!