Just bought an LS drivetrain.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I'm in Connecticut and did this swap awhile ago and then switched the transmission to a 5speed. You're welcome to take a look at it. There are some items I'd do differently if I were to do it again and/or may change at some point in the future
I may take you up on that if I am in the Granby area at some point. Thanks.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
The later model plastic fuel modules are spring loaded and there’s a range of depths that it will self-adjust to. The hard part is making a proper mounting surface, it’s almost 4” in diameter. I thought about that with a poly tank but first all the tanks I looked at didn’t have a large enough smooth area to work with. Secondly I was concerned about sealing the opening with a flexible poly tank.

That is good information thanks.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I ran this in my steel tank. It would be pretty easy to install in a poly tank.

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/...duct_id=84/category_id=61/mode=prod/prd84.htm

I cut the hole in the tank and installed the assembly. I used their roll over valve as the vent and plugged the rest of my fuel tanks ports. Since yours is poly, I would use the stock roll over valves and vents. Either would be fine though.

This is a good option but too shallow for the poly tank. I would lose 2.5 inches of fuel capacity since this goes down to 10.5 inches and the poly tank is about 13.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
This is a good option but too shallow for the poly tank. I would lose 2.5 inches of fuel capacity since this goes down to 10.5 inches and the poly tank is about 13.
On my Copper build I installed a 1999 Silverado 5.3 fuel module into a Trailquest steel 24 gallon tank. The module had plenty of adjustment depth.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
On my Copper build I installed a 1999 Silverado 5.3 fuel module into a Trailquest steel 24 gallon tank. The module had plenty of adjustment depth.

And that is the pump I priced out on Rock Auto which looked perfect. I am going to give it a shot and make my own clamp bracket for the tank.

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Tanksinc has the slosh reservoir that is used in many fuel injected tanks. Didn't look to hard but what I saw didn't have that option just a bigger filter bag which would work. My 5 doesn't have any such option and I try to keep a few gallons at all times in the tank.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
And that is the pump I priced out on Rock Auto which looked perfect. I am going to give it a shot and make my own clamp bracket for the tank.
So, if you go to the Photobucket link, go to Scrambler pics, and find June 24, 2009 you can see my fuel tank mod to make the pump fit. The seal is more of a sleeve and with careful building you can get a suitable flange built using a hole saw and common tools.
The description can be found in my build thread post #169

https://www.cj-8.com/threads/randyzzz-scrambler-restification-thread.19032/page-9

http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/OldSoulsRetros/library/Scrambler?sort=3&page=1
817F1BA0-417F-4905-B965-FD8A926EFBF6.png

Last edited:

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I got the old motor out last night. I have a few people wanting it but two want me to ship it across the country which I was not planning to do if I can help it. The motor mounts from Dave's came in and I am waiting for the adapters for the tranny to the dana300. I am ordering the fuel lines, filter and gaskets this weekend. I want to run the fuel lines before I drop the motor back in plus do a bit of cleaning to the frame and engine bay. I decided to not do an in tank pump and run my E2000 that I had siting on the shelf that I forgot about. I am considering buying a second one and running it parallel to the other pump with a switch for redundancy. I doubt I will ever need it but it would be nice to just do a quick switch if needed. I would need to install check valves though in order to not back through the other pump. I am still figuring this all out to see if it is worth it or not.

Attachments

• 137621584_3999890873377884_5045918614650963734_n.jpg
    137621584_3999890873377884_5045918614650963734_n.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 138101339_3999879316712373_7804831327048719190_n.jpg
    138101339_3999879316712373_7804831327048719190_n.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 139445770_3999890806711224_2207593489217389149_n.jpg
    139445770_3999890806711224_2207593489217389149_n.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 24

jeepin494

City
SUMMERVILLE
State
SC
I am doing the same swap and already have a CJ7 with an LS1. They are hard to beat. I had to wait months for my dana 300 to 4L60 kit to arrive. I plan to go with the Holley Terminator X MAX.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I got the old motor out last night. I have a few people wanting it but two want me to ship it across the country which I was not planning to do if I can help it. The motor mounts from Dave's came in and I am waiting for the adapters for the tranny to the dana300. I am ordering the fuel lines, filter and gaskets this weekend. I want to run the fuel lines before I drop the motor back in plus do a bit of cleaning to the frame and engine bay. I decided to not do an in tank pump and run my E2000 that I had siting on the shelf that I forgot about. I am considering buying a second one and running it parallel to the other pump with a switch for redundancy. I doubt I will ever need it but it would be nice to just do a quick switch if needed. I would need to install check valves though in order to not back through the other pump. I am still figuring this all out to see if it is worth it or not.
Ford had a recall where they put 2 one way valves in the fuel lines. It was to keep dual tank systems separate. I have one of those valves, but not the 2 required.
This part here-
EBC619D9-478D-4710-B183-040B8F94441F.png

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I am doing the same swap and already have a CJ7 with an LS1. They are hard to beat. I had to wait months for my dana 300 to 4L60 kit to arrive. I plan to go with the Holley Terminator X MAX.

I ordered the kit last week from Advance Adapters. I hope I do not have to wait months for it. I can do everything else first so even if this part is last I can still get everything else installed and running beforehand.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
Ford had a recall where they put 2 one way valves in the fuel lines. It was to keep dual tank systems separate. I have one of those valves, but not the 2 required.
This part here-

And just like that there is a solution. Thanks for the link.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I haven't updated this in a couple weeks but I have been focusing on buying parts. I spent a few hours stripping my stock harness down and even though it was going well I bit the bullet and bought a PSI conversion harness last night. The main reason is I want to hide all my wires and have the PCM inside the Jeep. I am going to setup cruise control as well which will be pretty cool even if I hardly use it. I few other things I got so far is the Lokar tranny mounted shifter, all the fuel lines and in-tank pump. I got some new block hugger headers and also new engine cover. My kids and wife are heading to Fla for presidents day weekend so I plan to max out me free time and get this motor in the Jeep and wired up so I can figure out the last part with cooling and steering.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
As someone preparing to undertake this, please share.

We really need a general LS swap thread.

I actually was thinking about creating two engine swap subforums on here. One for the LS and one for the 4.0L.

We have a host of great LS swap threads, I love that most of those authors are already on here contributing to this one. I would copy their threads and this one to that subforum with permanent redirects in the main drivetrain forum.

Similarly, after losing CJOffroad, there's no good forum home for 4.0L swap info that I'm aware of. Not saying that we have the best ones out there online, but someone somewhere really needs to restart all of that.

Seem like a good idea?