• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

KISS Daily driver (keep it simple stupid)

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
Following. I was pulling for the iron Duke till you said the mounts are already there.
That Eastwood stuff is fantastic. It's in and on my frame too.
Welcome & have fun!

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Hi Interceptor, we have the same back story, first jeep and I am "restoring" an 82 base with copper brown metallic paint as well and went with the same PPG Omni base coat/Euro clear. I went with the Upol 2253 high build primer, really works well.
I'm using acrylic enamel to cut down on painting time, staring on interior and will be doing a lot of spot painting inside of fenders, doors, underside of stuff, rust repairs. This way I can work small areas and Jeep will look OK to drive.
Once it is ready to paint I will block sand and paint with acrylic enamel again. Wait 30 days, block sand, apply decales. Then clear coat.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Update:
Found some wide track axles. The vendor is picking up my frame and installing springs and axles from a 1983 CJ 7 to my frame homely steering box and skid plate for transmission

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Looking at wheels and found them on sale at 4x4 Parts. (877-474-4821 part# PCW 82-5885) 15x8 wagon wheels @ $52.49 each. Purchased a set of 5 with chrome lugs and caps, shipped for under $400.00.
Now to buy tires. Having to buy these now since frame with axles will need a way move around in my yard.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
The wheels you bought are nice, but they have different windows than original wheels.

If that does not matter to you, great. If you are a purist and little details like that bug you, then beware.

Original windows are “rolled” in towards the axles. Modern rim windows are “sharp“ square edged.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
The wheels you bought are nice, but they have different windows than original wheels.

If that does not matter to you, great. If you are a purist and little details like that bug you, then beware.

Original windows are “rolled” in towards the axles. Modern rim windows are “sharp“ square edged.
Mine is not going to be the original build.
A good solid driver using simple parts and repairs.
Let the next owner do a proper restore.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Mine is not going to be the original build.
A good solid driver using simple parts and repairs.
Let the next owner do a proper restore.
That is great, just wanted to prevent disappointment if you were expecting like original rims.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
That is great, just wanted to prevent disappointment if you were expecting like original rims.
Thanks for heads up, for me and maybe any other rookie reading this thread.

I fell into that "back original or it won't be valuable" with a 1959 Austin Healey Bugeye. Doing that increased cost and slowed the rebuild down so much I lost interest after a couple of years. Not looking to impress the car show people. KISS is my motto

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Well I got my new wheels and tires mounted and on the CJ8.

With the wider wheels and less backspacing I'm having 2nd thoughts on wide track axles. Kinda of like the stance now.
20211123_143315.jpg20211123_143338.jpg20211123_145731.jpg
Are the wide trac axles better?

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Not "better" really, just wider. Therefore noticeably more stable (due to the fear of roll overs spawned inaccurately by certain 'unsafe at any speed' sensationalist jounos).

Also less rubbing on the springs in full turn and less likely to rub on the inner wheel well at full compression.

Last edited:

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Well the vendor that was gonna pick up my frame and install widetracs is putting me of. Not happy.

Since putting the new wheels and tires, I'm happy with look. I decided to call and cancel.

He was charging way to much, but promised to do quickly.

New plan, purchase a set of used narrow axles, install on frame myself along with new YJ spring conversion. Stock height.

QUESTION; Since I won't be doing much 4x4 stuff would it be dumb to buy upgraded rear axle from East Coast, keeping original front axle.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Well the vendor that was gonna pick up my frame and install widetracs is putting me of. Not happy.

Since putting the new wheels and tires, I'm happy with look. I decided to call and cancel.

He was charging way to much, but promised to do quickly.

New plan, purchase a set of used narrow axles, install on frame myself along with new YJ spring conversion. Stock height.

QUESTION; Since I won't be doing much 4x4 stuff would it be dumb to buy upgraded rear axle from East Coast, keeping original front axle.
Given your intended use I see no reason to spend the $$$$ on a new rear axle if you find a good stock unit that fits your need. However, if you then regear, upgrade shafts, add disc brakes and/or limited slip diff., etc., then you might decide it's worth buying a built axle instead.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Given your intended use I see no reason to spend the $$$$ on a new rear axle if you find a good stock unit that fits your need. However, if you then regear, upgrade shafts, add disc brakes and/or limited slip diff., etc., then you might decide it's worth buying a built axle instead.
Thanks

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Well today I picked up a set of widetrac axles with springs, steering box, and transmission skid plate from vendor 60 miles from my home. I feel relived knowing I'm moving forward with my project.
Will order attaching hardware for axles now so I can install on used frame.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Update: received my sheet metal parts from Classic. Toe supports, wide floors boards, bed riser, inner and outer supports, rear bed, main cross brace. I'm sure once I start cutting out old, I may find I need more. For now they are going in storage

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
I have mounted the wide track axles to my new used frame. Once steering box and shocks mounted I will clean up and paint.20220126_100559.jpg

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
I purchased greasable shackles for the rear. I mounted spring in first hole of shackles. There is a support included in the kit that I assume belongs where I mounted spring.

I was thinking that would raise the rear of jeep if mounted springs in lower hole?

Also are the shackles mounted correctly. There was no paper work on how to install. Angle to front or rear?20220126_100537.jpg20220126_100530.jpg

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
I guess you can mount them the way you have it. Yes it gives you less lift.normally you use the bottom hole and the bolt goes in the center hole for support