• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Lockers what are you running

cablackone

Basic User
City
Van Wert
State
Oh
Looking at lockers front and rear,What are you running? I have a narrow 30 front and 20 rear going to one piece axles in rear looking at Moser's. Would like a wide track set but have not been able to locate any near me. I did do some measuring I have a narrowed 12 bolt gm rear with 4:56 and Aurburn H.D. diff. It measured 54 1/2 WMS that would work for a back axle just have to remove the ladder bar brackets and add spring perches, have bolt circle redrilled and brace no big deal. Any one have a wide track cj front?
 
Last edited:
I'm running Auburn Ecteds front and rear. They are selectable from an aggressive limited slip to full locked. I still have to build a front driveshaft- but the rear works like a champ and even without locking it in I have hardly any tire slip.

Personally, I would suggest selectable lockers if you run in ice or snow- if not a good mechanical or aggressive limited slip would be just fine.
 
I run ARB'S front an rear in my TJ, When ever I get my 8 back together I will run rear ARB an front lock rite
 
I have ARB's front and rear in 58" Dana 44's.
 
ARB in front and Detroit locker in rear. Will run ARB's front and rear when the rear is replaced. Runs tight trails in 4WD much easier with selectable front locker.
 
Guess it depends on how you plan to use the Jeep. If mild trail riding is all you plan on then a good limited slip in the front would be fine. If you plan on time in the rocks then a locker is a must.
They all have advantages and disadvantages. Selectable lockers are great!!! . . . when they work. LOL ARBs have some issues with internal air line clamps etc but are very strong and can handle things like snapping an axle shaft without damaging the locker.
Detroits are strong and simple but can be a bit harsh when locking unlocking on the street.
Pocket lockers like Lock Rites or Aussies are a good alternative for a mild rig that isnt running high horsepower or massive tires.
They are easy to install and have pretty good street manners.
Spools and mini spools are dirt cheap but NOT for anything that will see any street time.

We have multiple rigs so Ive learned what I like and dont like about each. LOL
83 CJ8 35" tires dana 30 and a 44 both with Lock Rites.
Wifes 73 Commando 37" tires Dynatrac 44 front Dynatrac 60 rear. ARB in front Detroit in rear.
81 CJ8 Juggy 42" tires Dana 60 front and rear. Detroit up front and chromoly spool in the rear.
 
In my red Scrambler, which goes offroad and cross country, wide track 20 and 30, Ox Lockers front and back, absolutely love them:thumbsup:

In my green Scrambler, mainly all street, open front and Trac-Loc rear, stock axles, works fine:thumbsup:

In "Yard Scrambler", Detroit in the rear 20, Aussie in the front 30, boy that Detroit on the street brings back memories:crazy:
 
My 8 is for mainly street and only mild offroad, I am running a 350 sbc going to try to runs 35's. I think I have the rear figured out,I have a Moser Engineering 12 bolt GM rear from my old street/strip car with an H/D Auburn diff. Just got back from picking up a wide track 30 front,and from what I am reading I should be fine with a Lock Rite or similar mini locker.
 
Back
Top