• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Looking For Tips Regarding Frames and Bodies

JJ Owen

City
Canton
State
GA
I bought a 1982 CJ-8 Laredo. It is completely original. I went into this knowing I needed a frame and body. I have access to original frames and bodies that all need minor amounts of work. My questions are related to whether i should stick with original frame and body parts, or if there is a good reason to buy an aftermarket frame and or body. I do plan on restoring it completely original, with the exception of some '80's era bolt on parts(a lift kit, lights, stereo) that can be reversed. This is a project for my son and I while he is in high school. I realize it will have some decent value when completed, but this is not being built to sell.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
If you have original frame and body needing only minor work, I vote for fixing them and keeping it original. Choose a good frame and body and either dip or sand blast them and you'll know what needs to be done.

JJ Owen

City
Canton
State
GA
If you have original frame and body needing only minor work, I vote for fixing them and keeping it original. Choose a good frame and body and either dip or sand blast them and you'll know what needs to be done.

The current body and frame are unusable. I can get a decent original body and frame, just didn't know if there any benefits/detractions to spending the extra on a new body and frame, I'm an amateur welder at best. I know Omix sells a Mopar endorsed body for $4500. I'm looking at around $1500-$2000 for a used body, then all the repair and prep work.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Depends on what you are looking for.

The steel bodies are all made in the Philippines by the same company. There are known issues with them and require work to make them close to original, they will never be a perfect match to an original. Look for the thread about Rommel and the replacement tubs. Willis Overland sells them with some of the fixes already done.

There are also other options, fiberglass and aluminum. I think the aluminum is the way I would go if not using a original tub.

The stock frame is good, but the TDK frame replacement is better. There are known weak points in the stock frame, but they are plenty strong for a jeep with very minor upgrades.

In the end, there are many ways to go and all depend on what you want as a final product.

cblfhs

Quadriplegic Cj8 <3er
Lifetime Member
City
Highland Park
State
IL
I went with a Malaysian tub. They were selling them on eBay a couple years ago for $2000 for just the tub, that price does not have the jeep letters to the left of your feet. I have not had everything installed yet to this date so I cannot comment on how perfectly the tub fits but it all honesty, you can probably sell your tub for what you have into a brand new one. Think about what you want in the end as well

Attachments

• E1E9394D-C6E6-4632-BB87-E8FC5D5928F2.jpeg
    E1E9394D-C6E6-4632-BB87-E8FC5D5928F2.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 41

Super 8

Legacy Registered User
City
Bozeman
State
MT
If it was my project I would find a good used body, repairable original body or Aqualu body. I've used Aqualu on a few projects and they are super nice. The foreign steel bodies have a lot of fitment issues. They may be cheaper but the headaches they cause take a lot of time to fix. It really comes down to what your project goals are.

JJ Owen

City
Canton
State
GA
A little delay in getting started, but now that I have, I have some more questions. The tub is complete trash, as expected. It didn't have a tailgate, but all of the other sheetmetal can be reused, with some minor repairs. As this was a complete and original Jeep, my son and I are building back as original as possible, with the exception of some 80's era bolt-on's. So the question is what to do with the tub, frame, and wiring harness. I plan on buying new versions of all three, but want to keep as close to original as possible. Any suggestions? I am able to cut the original embossed Jeep logos off the original tub, and weld them into a new one.

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Welcome back, photos of project would help others get a sense of the starting point for suggestions. If your goals is “original as possible” then source a OEM replacement tub and frame. Jody Abbot is near you in GA and sells used original parts. Look on Facebook Groups for Southern CJ Sales

For wiring harness, “original as possible” would refurbish or source OEM. Another option I have used is painless wiring harness, pre-terminated is easier.

Last edited:

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I would get a Painless harness. Any used one will have oxidation in the wiring. Black wires when you cut the insulation off. At least every one I have done something with has been like that, even when the insulation looked great. Maybe it doesn't happen in all parts of the country, I don't know.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Depending on your location sourcing a tub can be difficult. I would personally rather buy a new a TDK frame vs repairing a rusty original. I’ve repaired CJ8 frames and lengthened CJ7 and YJ frames. The problem is being able to tell where the frames strength is compromised even when it looks ok visually. Most of the time the inner frame “c” rusts through well before the outer as it is thinner material.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Once you're replacing the body and frame, it's basically irrelevant if you go aftermarket or OEM. There's no way I'd go with any stock frame, regardless of condition, over a TDK. They're superior in every possible way. AMC manufacturing was questionable when new, with 40 years on it?? Not a chance I'd go with stock, my :twocents:

Also: Moved this thread to the appropriate subforum.