• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Lost a Vet Tonight

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Lost one of our greatest generation tonight. Like a father to me. Offered guidance, humility and direction. Harold Young, 94 years old, WWII vet. Met 30 years ago, when I knew nothing. Taught me how to build walls, build a shed from nothing, calculate rafters, lay a floor. A true master. Never asked for anything in return.
Invited him to ride as my vet in Veteran's Day parade here in Orlando with Orlando Jeep Club in my Jeep with his wife of 70 years 12 years ago. They loved it. She told me no one ever thanked him for his service in 60 years. Made me feel good. HE loved it. Been in parade since with him.
A great friend; a great teacher; a great veteran. Thanks Hal. God bless you and God bless America. Thank you to our vets and first responders.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Rip Brotha... the greatest generation are an inspiration to all of us... especially those who put on the uniform afterwards!
a3f29dce7edc7e12c374fa9ae75f5229png-1.jpg
9372b8680c9fac222bb632677eaa8d36png-1.jpg
edbf6f34ac2b23313ac95d68423dcb75png-1.jpg

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Sorry to hear you lost such a good friend.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I'm sorry for your loss.

My grandfather was one of that generation, and I grew up next door to him, hanging on his every word, and meeting others of that generation who all seemed to have served expecting nothing in return.

They were a generation of hard workers, humble, gracious. There aren't many of them left these days, and the traits that they had seem to be going with them.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like a great man indeed.

Lost both of my grandfathers who had served when I was too young to truly appreciate what they'd done for me and this country. Always regret that I never talked to them properly about their service and what it meant to them.

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
I'm sorry for your loss.

My grandfather was one of that generation, and I grew up next door to him, hanging on his every word, and meeting others of that generation who all seemed to have served expecting nothing in return.

They were a generation of hard workers, humble, gracious. There aren't many of them left these days, and the traits that they had seem to be going with them.

It could not be said better...

I too lost my Grandfather at age 95 in 2011. Still not really over it, he was an awesome man, all I can do is to do my best to carry on his work ethic, values and skills he taught me. I was very lucky to grow up near him and spend the time I did with him.
My daughter had an assignment in school to interview someone they admired...she chose Great Grandpa...I sat in on the interview, what an awesome afternoon, I took notes as fast as I could on all of the stories, etc. Really wish I would have recorded it.

Some of the most interesting were his CCC days....I gotta go blow my nose and dry my eyes now...

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Sorry to hear that.

I know when my grandfather passed who was a WWII vet, the hardest part of the funeral was when my uncle (also a vet), played taps on his bugle.

Sent from my SM-J320P

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Sorry to hear that.

I know when my grandfather passed who was a WWII vet, the hardest part of the funeral was when my uncle (also a vet), played taps on his bugle.

Sent from my SM-J320P

My grandfather ran a primary flight school for most of the war, then was a B29 aircraft commander flying off of Tinian starting in early 45.

My uncle, his son, was career AF and retired as a 2 star.

My uncle saluted and said "Thank you Col" right after the trumpet finished taps. I was fine until that moment.

My grandfather was 5'7", 150 lbs. Wore a size 7 shoe. Was always nice and friendly to everyone. Dudley do right

He was 10x's the man I could ever hope to be.

The fact that we had an entire generation of such men and women is truly astonishing.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Sorry for your loss.

My Dad was a test pilot in WWII, wanted to fly and enlisted. He trained early on to take a B25 off a carrier, in case there was a second Doolittle Raid. being a test pilot was quite exciting. He told me if he had crashed one more plane he would have been a Japanese ace. Crashed 4 planes during test flights, walked away from every one. He instilled my love of all things mechanical. He passed 13 years ago. I miss him every day.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
04487eeda880df3be85877263fed2c21-1.jpg

My pops was Army air corps in WWll. He passed in 93. I hate seeing the great generation passing.

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Thanks to all for the sentiments and reflection on family. Jeep dreamer, great picture of your Pops, too.
Hal was a quiet, nonjudgmental person. From New England area, grew up during the depression, re-purposed everything, including wood. Was in the Navy (CB's) in the South Pacific. As I said, he could construct anything. We did many projects. Whenever I had a project, I'd call Hal to help and offer advice and supervise. Always came with a tool belt and tools. And he loved the vet parade in the Scrambler.
Again, thanks.

PetesCj-8

CJ-8 Member
City
slatington
State
pa
Sorry for your loss. Seems like a man like that would leave an impression on almost every one he touched. Hopefully those he did will be able to do the same.

finorman

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
ORLANDO
State
FL
Crane... If you are looking for another wing man, I'd love to introduce you to someone. He's living in a retirement community in Davenport, WWII ace.... flew p51s. When I met him he was pissed because they tried to take his driver's license away. I've been looking for an excuse to go say hello and have a beer with him.