• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

'Mater - '77 Cherokee S 4-door

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I vote tailgate 1.

And I like fender 2, but either center it under the Cherokee word horizontally or line the right edge of the decal with the right edge of the last e (pass side) & lefts on driver side. And of course, lined up vertically with the side marker.

keep in mind that the “Cherokee” is flipped on the other side, so trying to align it with one is likely going to be off on the other. I won’t be able to stand knowing they’re different, so have to pick something that works on both when identically spaced from the signal.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
I really like fender 3, but understand your reluctance to put it on the OEM decal. The lines work perfectly there though, and it doesn't detract from the rest of the OEM FSJ fender aesthetic. Short of that, fender 2 is your obvious choice for the reason posted: that's the approximate relative location used on the Javelin. This is also the reason why I put my 401 emblems on the hood; there's no other appropriately vertical surface on the CJ in that general location. And as for the tailgate, I vote for option 4. Or consider dropping it down, centered below the QuadraTrac, but at the very bottom of the tailgate; maybe aligned with the license plate for up/down. The ZJ has the V8 and 5.9L emblems in this location (and remember, the ZJ was still originally designed by AMC).

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
keep in mind that the “Cherokee” is flipped on the other side, so trying to align it with one is likely going to be off on the other. I won’t be able to stand knowing they’re different, so have to pick something that works on both when identically spaced from the signal.
Ya, they are a little different. Dilemma, hmmm. Maybe split the difference.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I really like fender 3, but understand your reluctance to put it on the OEM decal. The lines work perfectly there though, and it doesn't detract from the rest of the OEM FSJ fender aesthetic. Short of that, fender 2 is your obvious choice for the reason posted: that's the approximate relative location used on the Javelin. This is also the reason why I put my 401 emblems on the hood; there's no other appropriately vertical surface on the CJ in that general location. And as for the tailgate, I vote for option 4. Or consider dropping it down, centered below the QuadraTrac, but at the very bottom of the tailgate; maybe aligned with the license plate for up/down. The ZJ has the V8 and 5.9L emblems in this location (and remember, the ZJ was still originally designed by AMC).

I really do like it in the stripe best but I just can’t put it there :shrug:

I tried that spot on the tailgate but it would need the larger decal and I just thought it was TOO much

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I like behind the turn signal on the fender, but I’m not sure on the tailgate. Have you tried the bottom corner?

Graveltravels

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Red Deer
State
AB
Man, I like fender 3 option. It looks like it belongs in the original decal!! But since that's likely a wasted vote, Fender 1. And tailgate 2 is my favourite of the tailgate options.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Have you ever had a splinter in your finger that you just couldn’t get out and it festered and hurt and pissed you off every time you moved that finger a certain way?

Well, last fall this Jeep started the random miss again so I quit driving it for fear of it running the other cylinders too lean since it’s TBI and tried to track it down. Could not figure it out and finally had to ease it to the barn for winter storage.

Over the winter it dumped a ton of trans fluid on the floor of the barn, but the B&M pan I put on was clean so I knew something was wrong with the rear output seal (which is actually in the quadratrac.)

I hadn’t managed to touch this thing all damn year, I just kept the battery charged and left it with the hood up, mocking me every time I went into the garage. Between the Postal’s issues and getting the JKU, there just hadn’t been time to pull the tcase and hunt down the miss more.

a couple weeks ago I read something about the tach signal adapter on an aftermarket efi causing someone problems, and I realized I’d never really eliminated it as a source because the Jeep clearly ran fine aside from the miss. I called FAST and they agreed, these going bad is all or nothing, the vehicle dies and won’t run, they don’t intermittently fail, though “anything is possible”.

this is a little electronic box that “cleans” the tach signal up into a clean square wave that the efi uses to know when to fire. It plugs into the harness and the tach prong on the HEI and gets a ground. I had a really good, clean ground to the head with toothed washers, but I went ahead and added a new direct battery ground to that spot and I got a factory-style connector for the HEI cap connection (I’d used a crimped female spade).

I pulled and redid the two seals on the front of the Quadratrac and reinstalled it while servicing and painting the rear driveshaft.

4EE26BEE-0EAE-4DA5-A1FC-35295DA33282.jpeg

Took it for a drive yesterday and it seems to be cured. Running like a beast again and no signs of any miss. Only drips under the Jeep (I really needed to do the rear tcase output too, but had no interest getting in that far). Next year I may rebuild the original quadratrac I still have and swap it on.

So all of this left me feeling like I FINALLY got that nasty splinter out and I plan to drive the wheels off this thing between now and storage time. :headbang:

1DC5F80D-2CC7-4EE9-B3C8-13685A364C96.jpeg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
View attachment 96851

Only drips under the Jeep (I really needed to do the rear tcase output too, but had no interest getting in that far). Next year I may rebuild the original quadratrac I still have and swap it on.

Going to buy a lottery ticket tonight. I realized that the leak at the back end of the quadratrac was actually from the speedometer cable/gear adapter. Turns out the seal for the speedo gear shaft is inside the adapter and is an oddball part that’s hard to find a direct replacement for.

Pulled the one from the quadratrac I had in here previously and realized I had another spare quadratrac on the shelf. Yanked it too and found that the seal on the shelf spare actually felt the best.

C4E74CED-24CD-44F2-8D36-0F0D4743A3E9.jpeg

Also found the gear in my old case was 16 tooth where the current one was 14. I had noticed that the speedo was off since hooking up the new cable, now that’s hopefully sorted and it’s sealed up :fingerscrossed:

With the parts for the swap, I got one of the new fuel filler neck/tubes that BJ’s started to offer for this era Cherokee. Got that in today to replaced the cracked, taped mess that I had in there previously. I can’t wait to try to get gas now. It’s been a slow and painful process with lots of backspash with the old setup.

I can’t stop smiling while driving this thing :smokin:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wow. I haven’t posted anything here since ‘21?? It doesn’t even seem possible that the 401 has been in that long…

Drinking bourbon to celebrate one of the greatest days of the year…

Still hibernating…
IMG_3526.jpeg

Awake! The 401 literally fired on the first turn of the key after hooking up the battery. Stabil in the tank every fall and disconnecting the yellow top… all I have to do is check under the hood, fluid levels, connect the battery, turn the key on to prime the fuel system and fire it up. It’s INSANE to me how easily it fires and idles with the FAST EFI.
IMG_3527.jpeg

I baby it home and give it a more thorough once over. I just love looking at the 401.
IMG_3530.jpeg

Reunited.
IMG_3531.jpeg

This was a free yellow top I got for the magazine years ago, it’s made in Mexico but it’s always done perfectly for me every winter. I usually charge it fully before storage but I didn’t last year. I just drove it into the barn and pulled the negative clamp. This is similar to where it is every year after I get it back home. Pretty impressive to me :shrug:
IMG_3537.jpeg

Fluids checked, cleaned up a bit.
E908DD93-BF59-4773-95A0-199A512CF740.jpeg

Aaaaand that celebratory bourbon. Here’s to another great Mater season. :cheers:
IMG_3540.jpeg