• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Meet Red, my 81 Restomod Build

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
And, with a little bravery (drilling holes), a bit of mig wire and a red butt splice, the Speedhut speed sensor will be top center of the windshield frame, with no wires showing.

I started by drilling a couple of holes just big enough for the coax connector to pass through. Then I fished through a piece of thin mig wire. The next step was figuring out how to attach the wire to the coax connector. Turns out a red crimp connector will thread into the coax. 6503E1B1-2F23-42EA-B7B3-A3FAC0D187E2.jpegF23CC067-F506-4321-ADAA-4C719768FC9C.jpegThen, simply crimp the mig wire into the red butt splice and gently pull it through.FD674A02-AB75-4950-8805-3FA85DF1B2C1.jpeg82B65115-DBC8-432C-A291-F181D13D2B2C.jpegI still have to build a little shelf for the sensor to sit on. But the hard part is done. Next job- bolt in the frame.
C1899765-BA9F-42F0-8457-E9323EE29089.jpeg

Shark Bait

CJ-8 Member
City
Charleston
State
WV
Well, this is long overdue. I’ll admit- I’ve been suffering from a case of “project burnout”. So I took some time away from Red, and concentrated on other ways to deplete my wallet. Also did a realignment of the shop layout- moved the toolboxes and project area to the far side, and the work benches and open bay to the near side, next to my “office”. This gives me plenty of room to work on Red, plus opens up a bay for bringing in other vehicles easily. View attachment 101036View attachment 101037View attachment 101038I also added a TV and will be bringing my computer out here. The gated area is for our Shepherd, Bella. She can spend time out here with me and not get into any nasty stuff. Lastly, I installed a complete alarm system complete with cameras.View attachment 101039Yeah, I could hook it up as a live view web cam, but who wants to watch an old fart work at the speed of molasses and nap on occasion. (That white leather recliner is a comfortable as it looks.)

The most important news, though, is I’m going to start on getting this thing finished. I’ve let the discouragement of the hinge bolt issue go, and realized that a bit of imperfection is what it will take to let me actually drive this thing. The only other option would be to sell it, but if I was to do that I’d just be building another- and the only different thing I’d do was not have such a nice paint job. So to heck with it. Somebody’s got to marry that supermodel!

Anyways, prior to taking my break I was having difficulty with getting someone to install a windshield in a loose, newly painted frame. Well, I found someone to do it today- a shop that I should have called first but forgot about. So the windshield goes in next week, then I can get the frame installed, dash panel, dash pad…
HK-No Compromise!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Got up the courage to get this bolted up today. Lots of foam rubber cushioning. But- it’s in and I’m really pleased with the outcome. I used black windshield strip caulk around each bolt hole, then put antisieze on the bolt threads, and a thin film of car wash soap on the taper on the back of the heads. Slowly brought to tight, then flipped it upright, put in a couple tapered shims to level it all out and snugged the bolts up. I found 8 OEM bolts in my batch for this. 7 out of 8 went in perfectly, only 1 disturbed the paint a little. I was so afraid they would all make a mess.8BB23124-47C8-4B24-8221-7C4942D01FD7.jpeg8D9AC407-98A7-444A-8BDA-77A6A0A556E5.jpegThis side bolted up great.C19CFD36-0F2E-45A8-A219-CF0F09D2A527.jpegThis is the only bad one- the outer bottom. But I can live with that. 2BE7D307-1CF1-4DEC-B8F5-7154EF25D2A8.jpeg

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Stupid question. How did you paint the hinges without them seizing up.. did you break them down or am I making this harder than it needs to be. I have looked at my set quite a few times and they aren't pretty and the question always surfaces. The things we think of.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Stupid question. How did you paint the hinges without them seizing up.. did you break them down or am I making this harder than it needs to be. I have looked at my set quite a few times and they aren't pretty and the question always surfaces. The things we think of.
Can’t divulge the exact procedure because I wasn’t the one doing the painting- but from the looks of it they were blasted and then painted. No disassembly- I don’t think they can really be disassembled. It looks like he painted the back first, then the front. They were a bit stiff from the paint but a tiny drop of oil in the hole loosened them right up.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Dash of just showed up. I’ll give it a 9 of 10 for appearance. But a 4 of 10 for fit. I haven’t tried it on the dash yet but this thing has got some curve to it. Should come out once screwed on…I hope. image.jpgimage.jpgIt’s got a definite bow on the drivers side. We’ll see how it does. Come from Amazon so I can always try again.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
So the dash is brand new ?
Yeah, brand new Omix. Mopar approved. image.jpgMight just order another to see if it’s any better. Gotta take advantage of Amazon free returns.

I thought I’d try the cowl gasket. Yeah…the one on EBay by CJLaredo, supposedly the “best”. Fits like 💩. image.jpgimage.jpgTop isn’t bad at all, but it hangs out about 1/2” all along the bottom. I bought it over a year ago and had it laying flat. Might have caused it to flex some. Again, might just buy another. Recommendations? Or do I need to do something potentially expensive?

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
So, in an oversimplification of the issue- the cowl seal is too wide. The cowl measures a bit less than 2 1/4” , and the seal is over 2 1/2”. If you get the lower front edge right, the back edge sticks out too far.
90297C14-2280-4238-A0DA-80DD9DE8E2C6.jpegA5DF9C0E-2C21-4858-A2AD-43D053DFE4ED.jpeg
I measured the seal right at the end to eliminate any spread of the seal due to being unsupported. From these measurements, the inner portion of the seal will be off the cowl with the front aligned properly. How to fix this? Take a strip out of the seal and glue it back together? The secondary issue is the leading (Thick) edge needs to be at a sharper upright angle. This is better at the supported ends, but much worse along the center portion of the seal, and the 4 support wedges by the defroster opening are at way to shallow an angle also. Just a poorly designed seal IMO. I wonder if a seal could be made from UHMWP with grooves for an o-ring style strip. Like most newer valve cover seals. Sounds expensive.

I’m going to try and sandwich this seal between a couple of slats and see if I can “squish” it back to a usable shape. That still won’t account for the extra width, but it might get me closer.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
And, the dash pads going back. Looks like it was dropped hard at one end- the drivers side ear is bent in. Plus, the lettering is quite poorly done.16C83E15-6416-4597-A39E-D91426291CDA.jpeg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
By the way….

I’M BACK IN THE GROOVE!

Feels so good to get back working on this. The break was just what I needed. Even with these little challenges I’m super excited about the prospect of driving soon! There’s a local show at the end or April. Crossing my fingers!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
By the way….

I’M BACK IN THE GROOVE!

Feels so good to get back working on this. The break was just what I needed. Even with these little challenges I’m super excited about the prospect of driving soon! There’s a local show at the end or April. Crossing my fingers!
:bacon::woot::woohoo: