• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Meet Red, my 81 Restomod Build

brentox

City
Crestwood
State
KY
I am at 2 1/4” above the frame. The pump module sticks up a bit higher but that should clear fine. I want to let you know- I built a wood mock-up of the bottom of the bed to see what my clearances were. I have not actually set the tub back on the frame. But I’m pretty confident all clears. View attachment 83835View attachment 83836View attachment 83837View attachment 83838
Thanks a lot Randy. Those are some great pics. Always appreciate your willingness to share! My frame is getting ready for the blaster. Plan is to set tank and required steel fab as soon as blasting is complete, then paint the whole assembly. Finally got the clear on the body, some hopefully Im done with that portion of the project. Looking forward to frame and drive line now!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Thanks a lot Randy. Those are some great pics. Always appreciate your willingness to share! My frame is getting ready for the blaster. Plan is to set tank and required steel fab as soon as blasting is complete, then paint the whole assembly. Finally got the clear on the body, some hopefully Im done with that portion of the project. Looking forward to frame and drive line now!
Sounds great!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
From my painter’s Facebook page- paint update!

This 81 Jeep Scrambler has to be one of the nicest vehicles I have ever worked on! What you see in the pictures is all the body work this tub needed & that was to cover some of the factory spot welds! Polyester primer on and blocked ready for 2k. #walkerstudio12 #rkrestoration #jeepscrambler #jeep
F5408222-6EB4-4CEA-AC18-D7E90C8E36F8.jpeg4E20CC8E-FD6D-47EC-87A0-6448DF21D5EF.jpegD6C12C8D-C276-4EAF-AF26-07D472EA2447.jpegDDBC5504-4B15-42EC-AD8D-963F90C5AEC8.jpeg9AD7733A-0A80-483F-840A-00B5913D27E1.jpeg0A2C09A2-897D-4DD3-A90D-854502C6C270.jpegB6DBE4B5-F601-4CA2-8A5B-C994723FE627.jpeg

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Was wondering what type of banjo fittings were used and if you were going to make up new hoses or the original style works for the power steering.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Was wondering what type of banjo fittings were used and if you were going to make up new hoses or the original style works for the power steering.
Tha banjo fittings were from Pure Choice Motorsports. They use 6an hoses which I’ll have to have made up. I did end up having to grind about a 1/16 off the frame lip directly above the fittings. I welded a rod in the channel and repainted the area. I had thought it was a purely bolt in solution, but it was close and definitely better than cutting a notch in the frame there.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
No progress in the last week- tweaked my back getting a heavy sofa up a narrow staircase. But it’s feeling a lot better so I’ll be back on it soon. No recent updates from paint either.

We are going to venture out to the Coast for Father’s Day weekend for a little R&R. Seems like a long time since we have had a little vacation.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Memories... looking for some body mount sleeves and found the corners I trimmed off the rear wheel wells on Copper.900825D2-4242-4544-BBC2-C39212F13766.jpeg

brentox

City
Crestwood
State
KY
No progress in the last week- tweaked my back getting a heavy sofa up a narrow staircase. But it’s feeling a lot better so I’ll be back on it soon. No recent updates from paint either.

We are going to venture out to the Coast for Father’s Day weekend for a little R&R. Seems like a long time since we have had a little vacation.
hope that back feels better. takes all the fun right out of it.

brentox

City
Crestwood
State
KY
Randy, I can only imagine what we would have built if we lived closer to each other. We did pretty good living across country.
I thought I would throw out where I placed my engine mount Stump Jumper(Scrambler).

Those are the advanced adapter mounts, right? I may end up going with them to lower the whole assembly with the NV4500 trans I'm going to run. Any idea where you ended up height wise? Like where the top of the engine ends up if transferred to the fire wall? I was going to mock up bothe mounts and which one sets lower, if at all.
thanks, Brent.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Those are the advanced adapter mounts, right? I may end up going with them to lower the whole assembly with the NV4500 trans I'm going to run. Any idea where you ended up height wise? Like where the top of the engine ends up if transferred to the fire wall? I was going to mock up bothe mounts and which one sets lower, if at all.
thanks, Brent.
I think Dennis used Advanced Adapters mounts. One thing to consider- the lower the engine sits, the clearance for the front axle and exhaust gets less

brentox

City
Crestwood
State
KY
Today’s progress- finished cleaning the frame and put on two coats of SEM Rust-Shield. It’s sorta like POR15 or some of the other coatings out there. It really goes on nice, gets tacky quick, stinks, and is a nightmare to clean up. (Don’t get it on your hootus?) I had forgotten I had this in my paint cabinet. I did a test patch a couple of days ago and it’s really durable. Even resists the sand blaster! Here’s the pics.
View attachment 83172View attachment 83173View attachment 83174Now I have to decide if I want to topcoat it’s with the VHT satin frame paint epoxy, or maybe try Hammerite again. I’m leaning to the black epoxy. I’ll give it a couple days before I start that.
Just for fun I stamped my initials and 2020 in the frame above the vin stamp?
View attachment 83176
Hey Randy, how much did it take to do your 2 coats? Got my frame media blasted over the weekend, doing some repairs/fuel tank support and then Ill be ready to coat.

blstr2.jpg
thanks, brent.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Hey Randy, how much did it take to do your 2 coats? Got my frame media blasted over the weekend, doing some repairs/fuel tank support and then Ill be ready to coat.

View attachment 84706
thanks, brent.
I used every drop of a quart. It’s proven to be super durable. The epoxy top coat unfortunately chips rather easily. So I would advise getting the SEM in the black finish. I’ve been doing a lot of little touch-ups as I bolt stuff on. I waited a full 7 days like the instructions advised before topcoating. On my test piece, I topcoated after a couple of days and it was darn near impregnable. I’m guessing applying the epoxy before the base fully cured allowed a chemical bond of sorts. I know the SEM takes a while to fully harden, but light sanding before applying your top coat might be needed. Or just use black SEM and run it.

brentox

City
Crestwood
State
KY
I used every drop of a quart. It’s proven to be super durable. The epoxy top coat unfortunately chips rather easily. So I would advise getting the SEM in the black finish. I’ve been doing a lot of little touch-ups as I bolt stuff on. I waited a full 7 days like the instructions advised before topcoating. On my test piece, I topcoated after a couple of days and it was darn near impregnable. I’m guessing applying the epoxy before the base fully cured allowed a chemical bond of sorts. I know the SEM takes a while to fully harden, but light sanding before applying your top coat might be needed. Or just use black SEM and run it.

That's good to know. I've been looking at the KBS stuff as well. Trying to get all of the rough stuff out of the way while its in primer but during bolt up its bound to take some licks.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
A little more reassembly accomplished today. I’m still trying to sort out the fuel lines- on Copper I used OEM style nylon with quick connects. That made it super easy, and economical. They proved to be really durable also. Having a single exhaust made that an easy decision. But on Red the dual exhausts give me concern about heat and nylon, so I’m thinking a hybrid steel and braided PTFE system ( the hose Walkerhoundvm used ). I’m just having a hard time justifying the amount of transitions I have - braid from tank to hard line, another section of braid for flex from frame to engine, hard line up the trans and then flex to the fuel rail. Lots of transitions, lots of opportunities for leaks. I just want to make sure I’m doing this the best/wisest way possible.

46F073BD-1FCA-496B-972A-7ED3BDFE64CA.jpeg

I did stop at the painters at the end of last week to approve the paint color. I love it and so does the wife so all is good. My tub has been primed and blocked multiple times, the painter wants this paint job to be perfection.
7232DC13-C696-42A7-A753-9CB41F8A7180.jpeg8089A69B-8ED3-46D7-8340-BFA7347571C8.jpeg8D85CEE8-A31F-4B26-BE79-A33F81BF7A73.jpeg44FC77B1-7551-457E-9193-692FAD2884CF.jpeg

I think I’m coming to the realization that this build will be more “show quality” than I had ever intended. The chances of taking Red off road get slimmer the better she looks. Red just might turn out to be my “middle age crazy sports car”! That being said, I’m guessing there will have to be one more build after Red is done. I’ve still got my eye on a Jeepster in a local yard...

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Do you want a hybrid because you already have the hard lines? I gotta say, running the whole thing ptfe was pretty simple. 6 total connections between fuel and return lines, filter, no leaks that I've seen so far.

A few different color options at the place I got mine :devilish:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Do you want a hybrid because you already have the hard lines? I gotta say, running the whole thing ptfe was pretty simple. 6 total connections between fuel and return lines, filter, no leaks that I've seen so far.

A few different color options at the place I got mine :devilish:

I was planning on getting them from the place you got yours. Although they’re out of black/red!?

I was planning on running steel lines in the areas where I was parallel to the exhaust pipes. I am concerned about heat. The lines are probably 6” away from the exhaust however, so that might not be an issue. I haven’t purchased anything yet except for the fuel rail fittings. I’m going to take some romex I have laying around and mock up my lines a few different ways tomorrow and see what I end up with.