My "new" dream Scrambler

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
Lots of changes: I accepted a new job this month, requiring me to be in Juneau for the first 3 or 4 months of each year. Because I'm stupid, I want to bring the Scrambler, but there's no way I want to drive the Alcan to Haines in the winter on mostly bald Boggers. So I ordered up some 40" Mickey Thompson MTZs which arrived on Christmas Eve, and we are desperately trying to find where my TrailReady beadlocks are since they were supposed to be delivered last week. Over the weekend I switch to Mobil1 5W-50 (with a bottle of Comp Cams break-in fluid for the ZDDP), found some new wipers (CJ wipers are impossible to locate around here), and installed my old Monroe steering stabilizer from my orange 7 because it was the only thing I had that worked out to be compatible with both the axle side bracket I had, and the new RuffStuff bracket. I'll get some pics assuming the wheels arrive, I can make the beast work for the trip. I have to leave this weekend to catch my ferry in Haines on Sunday afternoon!

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Hopefully it's a congratulations kind of deal with the new job and you found your wheels :eek: Looking forward to seeing the new setup. Boggers aren't my cup of tea, so it will be cool to see this rig with the MTZs.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
It’s the kind of job that brings me to work back in the Office of the Governor (for the second time) and which you can’t really apply for. I got a phone call right before the election in November from the person who was about to become the Chief of Staff, which led to a conversation two weeks later where I was asked to come serve in the new administration. Either way, I REALLY wanted to bring the Scrambler down to Juneau just for the sake of rocking my big CJ-8 down at the capitol for a couple months during the session.

Wheels didn’t make it in time, so I’m sitting here in Haines waiting for the ferry...in my Subaru. (sigh)

Tires stacked up in the garage:
C4465C52-6DF3-4488-AD69-02C4B2C2ADEB.jpeg

And I got the steering stabilizer brackets figured out (I need to get a different RS5000 stabilizer, but this was my “what do I have in the garage right now on a Sunday evening” solution):
E380AB3F-BFAB-4E7B-9B1A-506EACBE5F12.jpeg

And I even changed the heater core. It’d had a small leak for about a year, which got a little worse when hunting. I did an oil change, and started it up to get it warm when I realized the leak was worse and I was getting steam accumulating on the windshield.

All for naught. Wheels are supposed to arrive sometime next week after missing the last barge up from the freight forwarder.

Last edited: