• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Needing direction...

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Finally finished rebuilding my transfer case yesterday morning. That has been the one thing holding me up for a couple months. Now that I know how to do it it's not that big of a project, however, I had to do parts of it a couple times since I didn't know what I was doing. That allowed me to start assembly of my power train and I managed to get quite a bit done last night and today.

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

I also got my drive shafts cleaned up, painted, and installed and several things mounted up on the engine. I had a considerable hangup on the intake manifold. The lugs that hold the gaskets in place and line up the intake are absent on the new block. I went ahead and mounted it up but my concern is that the block could leak oil without them. Does anyone know if that's an issue?

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
I got the chassis done as of this evening. I might get to set the tub tomorrow afternoon. I need to drill the holes for the roll bar in the new tub floor but aside from that everything is ready. I guess I should probably install the exhaust while the tub is off but it's not ordered and I'm impatient at this point. I'm ready to order a complete exhaust but about all I can find are the kits on 4wd. I'm not real excited about the options there so if anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it.

Here are pics:
IMG_0095.jpg
IMG_0096.jpg

It's extremely tedious as I am scrubbing or wire wheeling every part and bolt and repainting. It is very rewarding though. :cheers:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
It's coming along nice. It'll be worth it when done enough to get on the road. You know their never done.:rolleyes:

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Awesome. Pretty jealous i want my tub on for the last time so bad i can taste it.

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
^^Yes, 33x12.5... For now. When I wear these tires out I will probably back off to 10.5's. 4" lift with 1" body lift.

I really should've worked today but I can't focus on anything but finishing this project (at least to the point that I can go play with it.) I woke up an hour early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep because I was ready to go back to work on it. So I rounded up more parts that are scattered all over and headed to the shop. Today I got the grill, fenders, windshield frame, clutch, taillights, pedal assemblies, and master cylinder installed. That's including paint as I go.

First royal PITA:
If you all recall my oem windshield got damaged in storage so I had to purchase an aftermarket one.
IMG_0113.jpg
The bolt hole line up like this on both sides. I'm not certain how I will resolve this but I'll work on it later.

This is where I ended for the day:
IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

I'm going to have to do some real work tomorrow but I bet I'll sneak off to the shop some! For now I'm focusing on the absolute necessary items to get it driving. I also think original decals and the original chrome grill and rockers are going to be in order to break up all the brown.

Action items:
Wiring
Steering column
Fluids
Vacuum lines
Heater assembly
Dash
Seats
Rollbar (new bed floor needs drilled)

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I'm with you on the chrome grill... I've been thinking about that for my Scrambler, too!

cw05

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Augusta
State
GA
First royal PITA:
If you all recall my oem windshield got damaged in storage so I had to purchase an aftermarket one.
View attachment 58796
The bolt hole line up like this on both sides. I'm not certain how I will resolve this but I'll work on it later.
Your Jeep looks great and thanks for documenting the rebuild for us. This is the first single rib aftermarket windshield that I've seen. Do you know the brand so the rest of us can steer clear? Has anyone else seen non double rib repop windshield frames?

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
No kidding. That frame is horrible. I hate that you had it painted and then found out it was crap.

Rest of it looks great though. You're gonna have a really nice rig.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Your Jeep looks great and thanks for documenting the rebuild for us. This is the first single rib aftermarket windshield that I've seen. Do you know the brand so the rest of us can steer clear? Has anyone else seen non double rib repop windshield frames?
Just typical of aftermarket crap.

cw05

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Augusta
State
GA
Just typical of aftermarket crap.

I agree...but I've used the rib count to help me steer clear of those repop crap parts....just want to know how I continue to avoid them if there are now single rib repop's.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I agree...but I've used the rib count to help me steer clear of those repop crap parts....just want to know how I continue to avoid them if there are now single rib repop's.
I have one of those single rib repos and that's not the biggest problem. Almost all the aftermarket stuff is made of a thinner gauge metal which is the biggest problem. Aftermarket hinges are the worst and the S/S ones are really bad.

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Today is a significant day... two years ago I pulled the engine out of my scrambler and just kept tearing things apart until I just had a frame! While I won't be done with it in two years I'm hoping maybe 25 months!

I have managed to get quite a bit done this week but it's all small things that don't visually make a lot of progress. Mostly I've been cleaning up the wiring and putting new loom on it. I am using my old 8 harness for everything under the dash and the rear but the harness out of a 7 under the hood. This is what my 8 looked like when I bought it.

IMG_0198.jpg

I think what the PO did was do a nutter bypass based off of what little I've read because mine didn't even have an ecm. Fortunately I got all of the missing components with the 7 harness. I do still have some unterminated wires that I'll have to figure out as I go.

As for the windshield I'm just going to live with it for now. I have a few ideas as to how I will solve it and I will post up what I end up doing. If I recall I bought the frame through 4wd but I don't remember the brand. Alot of new parts started showing up yesterday. I've decided to go with a Weber carb because I don't want the factory air cleaner assembly cluttering up my clean engine compartment. My new black mountain seats showed up from Collins brothers yesterday. Here is a picture of them just sitting in it. I'm really pleased with how they look!

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Finally, can anyone tell me where this brace goes? I have completely forgotten!

IMG_0128.jpg

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Windshield- before you get too crazy take it back off and screw in the two front bolts. Then try moving them as a unit. I know it sounds crazy but in an aftermarket frame I used on a CJ7 what you are seeing is a block of metal that is inside the frame. They try to line it up and then spot weld inside but lack of quality control this happens. If you are able to break it loose it will line up and when tightened down you'll never know it was broken loose.

Brace - that is your engine cross brace. Bolts from the bottom connecting your engine mounts. The end with the bend goes toward the passenger side