• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New Axles project -Wagoneer Front and Scout rear?

sphoss

City
austin
State
TX
I have wanting to upgrade my axles and gearing since I picked up my 81 Scrambler last summer. Right now it has 2.76 gearing on narrow track axles with 2" spacers (AMC20/D30). The Jeep sits on 33" on a 4" lift but I also order RE 4.5" and plan to keep it spring under. I am thinking I will go 4.56 gearing and no idea on the differentials yet...

I ordered a 74 Wagoneer front which should come in next week and I am talking with someone on Scout II rear axle. I have been going back and forth on what to do on the rear. I have AMC 304 motor so would like to beef up the rear. If the AMC20 was a wide track, I would consider keeping it.

Is the Scout II axle a good way to go? I just wanted to get some thoughts before I purchase it. I looked at the Rodeo/passport option, but I really want to keep 5 on 5.5. The c-clip on the explorer also concerned me...

I appreciate thoughts from people that have done these swaps.

Thanks,
Hoss

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I’m not a fan of the 20 rear. I had one with 4.56 gears, an Ected locker, and really never trusted it. It had issues with leaking and bending axle shafts (I had a 5.3). I would much prefer a D44. It on my current build I went with a custom 9”- strong axle but a lower pinion, might be a concern with your lift.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
If you read my specs, below, it should show that I’m a RE 4.5” lift, Scout II rear, Wagoner narrowed front on 33’s with 4.09 gears. The front is converted to 5 on 5.5”. The It’s worked well for years with a 360.

The only change I’d advise is to use a narrowed Chief or J-truck front axle for a little more width. It’d make the tracking a bit better with a front that’s wider than the rear.

sphoss

City
austin
State
TX
If you read my specs, below, it should show that I’m a RE 4.5” lift, Scout II rear, Wagoner narrowed front on 33’s with 4.09 gears. The front is converted to 5 on 5.5”. The It’s worked well for years with a 360.

The only change I’d advise is to use a narrowed Chief or J-truck front axle for a little more width. It’d make the tracking a bit better with a front that’s wider than the rear.
Did you keep the drum brakes on the scout rear? On the tracking I was thinking the front will be 61” and the back 58”. Is that enough offset?

Last edited:

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I have wanting to upgrade my axles and gearing since I picked up my 81 Scrambler last summer. Right now it has 2.76 gearing on narrow track axles with 2" spacers (AMC20/D30). The Jeep sits on 33" on a 4" lift but I also order RE 4.5" and plan to keep it spring under. I am thinking I will go 4.56 gearing and no idea on the differentials yet...

I ordered a 74 Wagoneer front which should come in next week and I am talking with someone on Scout II rear axle. I have been going back and forth on what to do on the rear. I have AMC 304 motor so would like to beef up the rear. If the AMC20 was a wide track, I would consider keeping it.

Is the Scout II axle a good way to go? I just wanted to get some thoughts before I purchase it. I looked at the Rodeo/passport option, but I really want to keep 5 on 5.5. The c-clip on the explorer also concerned me...

I appreciate thoughts from people that have done these swaps.

Thanks,
Hoss
I have on under my CJ8 that I built about 5 years ago. I like it alot. The housing is very heavy the tubes are thick. I converted to my own built disk brakes, went with a Detroit Trutrac and added G2 gears. As far as extra width, I have to use 6 inch flares to keep my 33x12.5 wide tires tucked and legal in CT.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I have a narrowed J10 44 converted to 8 lug. It is 62.5" wide. The rear is a FF 60 from an e-350 van with disc brakes. With a 0 offset wheels and 33 11.5 16s (steel van wheels) I am 74" overall width in the front.

I decided to narrow the 44 to avoid outboarding the spring mounts. With input from @John N narrowing wasn't much of an issue. You can use standard parts to make the 44 5, 6 or 8 lug. Mine is set up with GM 3/4 ton backing plates/hubs. The hubs are what made mine a bit wider.

The rear was narrowed about 5.5" on the drivers side. Factory offset placed the pinion on the passenger side. The pinion matches my engine/trans offset. It is around 61.5" WMS.

I went down the same passport/scout ii/explorer route. In the end it costs nearly the same to build a 60 as the other options. The main issue with the scout rear is availability and cost of rear brake parts. I couldn't find a passport or rodeo with the right axle and also didn't like the C clip axles of the 8.8. You can redrill the lug pattern on a semi float axle flange or purchase new aftermarket shafts with 5 on 5.5. Personally I would look at a 9", dana 60 or a 489 from east coast gear supply.

dubs1856

Legacy Registered User
City
San Marcos
State
Ca
Subscribed. I have a front D44 from a 76 wagoneer and a rear D44 from a ‘96 Isuzu rodeo. I actually have two rodeo rear axles geared 4.30 and am planning on taking one of those ring and pinions and installing in into the waggy front 44. I’m planning on outboarding the spring mounts up front. Looking forward to see how you go about it.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I have a scout II rear and full width Waggy front with outboard springs. At first, I felt the front was too wide, but I've gotten used to it now and love the way it rides and flexes with RE 1.5 inch YJ spring over springs. I'm running a Detroit rear and an Eaton E locker in the front. Both axles are 5 on 5.5.

sphoss

City
austin
State
TX
I have on under my CJ8 that I built about 5 years ago. I like it alot. The housing is very heavy the tubes are thick. I converted to my own built disk brakes, went with a Detroit Trutrac and added G2 gears. As far as extra width, I have to use 6 inch flares to keep my 33x12.5 wide tires tucked and legal in CT.
What brakes did you use to convert to disk?

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Did you keep the drum brakes on the scout rear? On the tracking I was thinking the front will be 61” and the back 58”. Is that enough offset?
Yes, on the drum brakes. They’re 11” x 2.25” and work pretty well. They’re expensive drums, if you need them, but for me it’d be a one time purchase, if ever, as much as I actually drive it.

The Waggy front is 57” after narrowing to keep from out boarding the springs and 58” if you convert to 5 on 5.5” lug pattern. So it makes the Scout and Waggy rear the same width. A J-truck or Chief front adds 3” to the front.

sphoss

City
austin
State
TX
Subscribed. I have a front D44 from a 76 wagoneer and a rear D44 from a ‘96 Isuzu rodeo. I actually have two rodeo rear axles geared 4.30 and am planning on taking one of those ring and pinions and installing in into the waggy front 44. I’m planning on outboarding the spring mounts up front. Looking forward to see how you go about it.
For the out boarding springs I am leaning to the motobilt or poison spyder if I reverse the shackle. I kinda like motobilt bumper/mount setup.

If I keep the shackles in the front then I will likely build the mounts.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
For the out boarding springs I am leaning to the motobilt or poison spyder if I reverse the shackle. I kinda like motobilt bumper/mount setup.

If I keep the shackles in the front then I will likely build the mounts.
If you plan on trail riding, skip the reverse shackles...IMHO.

sphoss

City
austin
State
TX
If you plan on trail riding, skip the reverse shackles...IMHO.
I am still trying to decide, especially after reading this article. Any good kits to keep the shackles in the front with wide axle and YJ springs?

Last edited:

sphoss

City
austin
State
TX
Here is the picture of the rear axle donor. Hopefully not too abused.

Attachments

• CE7A2631-BE1C-496A-9149-AA350A3FD5F8.jpeg
    CE7A2631-BE1C-496A-9149-AA350A3FD5F8.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 5

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
You don't necessarily need a kit to outboard. Barnes and others sell a more DIY version.

Since you are wanting YJ springs, get replacement YJ front spring mounts. You can use the CJ rear spring mounts (if I remember correctly). I also wouldn't do a shackle reversal.

dubs1856

Legacy Registered User
City
San Marcos
State
Ca
I ended up grabbing some of these frame outriggers from Ruff Stuff Specialties to attempt to outboard my mounts. I'll make sure I document once I dive in to the axle project.

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 11.09.10 AM.jpg

sphoss

City
austin
State
TX
I used Chevy tracker front rotors and 1989 Nissan 300z rear calipers. I designed my own mount and had it cut out on a waterjet out of 3/8 steel.
did you bolt it to the axle flange or weld the bracket to the tube?

Jeeper_4_Life

Scrambler Rookie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Kingman
State
Ks
I am still trying to decide, especially after reading this article. Any good kits to keep the shackles in the front with wide axle and YJ springs?

I used the kit from daves custom unlimited to keep the shackles up front. I bought it during a holiday sale. It was pretty straight forward. I had to notch my front bumper to clear around it, but is probably bumper specific issue.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I used the kit from daves custom unlimited to keep the shackles up front. I bought it during a holiday sale. It was pretty straight forward. I had to notch my front bumper to clear around it, but is probably bumper specific issue.
I used the same kit for my conversion. Nice stout stuff.