• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New Iowa Jeep owner needing advice

JFReese

City
kalona
State
IA
My first Jeep at age 57. Just picked this up Saturday. Sat in a shed for much of past 7 years. Drove it an hour home. I am learning the 258 has common carb/ choke issues. Had to pour a little gas into carb but started right up. Stalled at stop light and took a few minutes to restart. Drained some ugliness out of the tank. Other than dropping the tank and cleaning it and fuel lines, seafoaming the carb. Any suggestions. Don’t think this is a restore, just going to pull the top and have some fun. Located in Iowa.

Attachments

• D41C6549-E102-461A-A891-3F2C233C633D.jpeg
    D41C6549-E102-461A-A891-3F2C233C633D.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 47

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Sitting that long likely means vacuum leaks somewhere that could be part of the stalling, particularly if it's got all of the emissions stuff on it still. Fuel pump diaphragm could be questionable in addition to a clogged filter and/or the crud in the tank/lines.

For vacuum leak identification, with the engine cold, start it up and let it idle while shooting short bursts of starter fluid around the carb and on the vacuum lines (you want to do this quickly before the exhaust/engine gets hot) to see if you hear it revving up. If it does, the spot you shot has a leak. You can also do this with an unlit propane torch, crack the valve open and wave/poke it around the same areas to see if you pick up RPM.

If it were me trying to keep it simple, I'd go straight to a Motorcraft 2100 carb swap and a HEI distributor and ditch most of the underhood wiring and vacuum/emissions stuff.

If it were me with my recent experience with the FAST EFI system on my 77 Cherokee, I'd get one of the FAST Jeep CJ kits and bolt that on with the HEI distributor. If you're going to be dealing with the gas tank and fuel lines already, just go ahead and go to fuel injection and be done. You'll have a reliable driver that starts on the first crank.

Welcome to the site and welcome to the sickness :cheers:

JFReese

City
kalona
State
IA
Sitting that long likely means vacuum leaks somewhere that could be part of the stalling, particularly if it's got all of the emissions stuff on it still. Fuel pump diaphragm could be questionable in addition to a clogged filter and/or the crud in the tank/lines.

For vacuum leak identification, with the engine cold, start it up and let it idle while shooting short bursts of starter fluid around the carb and on the vacuum lines (you want to do this quickly before the exhaust/engine gets hot) to see if you hear it revving up. If it does, the spot you shot has a leak. You can also do this with an unlit propane torch, crack the valve open and wave/poke it around the same areas to see if you pick up RPM.

If it were me trying to keep it simple, I'd go straight to a Motorcraft 2100 carb swap and a HEI distributor and ditch most of the underhood wiring and vacuum/emissions stuff.

If it were me with my recent experience with the FAST EFI system on my 77 Cherokee, I'd get one of the FAST Jeep CJ kits and bolt that on with the HEI distributor. If you're going to be dealing with the gas tank and fuel lines already, just go ahead and go to fuel injection and be done. You'll have a reliable driver that starts on the first crank.

Welcome to the site and welcome to the sickness :cheers:
Thanks much. Ordered the MC2100 and will order the distributor. Look forward to any additional ideas.