• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New Scrambler Guy...

jsteed

CJ-8 Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Hey everyone, I just had a 81 CJ8 follow me home. At the time, I thought I got a pretty good deal - after closer inspection, I probably paid too much. Its fairly stock, I think the only mod is the weber carb and the 1" body lift. Its got a lot of rust... to the point that the tub may be a goner. I've never had a scrambler before. I was starting in on a 47 CJ2A and it occurred to me there is virtually no practical use for it other than off road, and even that's debatable. So I found this guy, and paid $3900. it was a daily driver. seems to start and run pretty well. leaks oil, probably a rear main. clutch chatters. Engine has no smoke, and seems to generate adequate power (though I have no basis for comparison). does 55-60mph no problem on the flat. Theres some gremlins in the electrical, as I would expect. The harness looks like a wire recycling bin. The rust is all in the tub, maybe a little in the frame. plan on driving it for a summer, then get in on the body work. Theres lots under the hood that I don't understand. much more electrical than I would expect for a carbureted vehicle. and a lot of wires that just seem to go nowhere.

20160130_145942.jpg

20160130_150002.jpg

20160130_150009.jpg

20160130_150033.jpg

No idea what this is...
20160122_171810.jpg

So... plan is to just drive it for a while and see what happens. look forward to reading and learning more about theses things.

jsteed

CJ-8 Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Ok, apparently I can't edit my posts, but I see the photo thing didn't work. My bad. Lets see if this works...

jzTJh6

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
There's a "how-to" somewhere, but it basically entails having to load your pictures to a hosting site like photobucket or imageshack or wherever. Then you can link those photos by clicking on the photo icon above the text entry box.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
A perk of paid membership is photo hosting and post editing. Otherwise you will have to host your photos on a site like photobucket and link them here.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Welcome to the group!! Looks like a nice start. Lots of info and knowledge on this board. Don't be afraid to ask!

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
:That's a pretty good looking jeep to me. That's the kind of scrambler you don't have to be afraid to go out and have fun and worry you might get some scratches wheeling it! :twocents: :headbang: