• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New To Me 83--Parts Needed

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
New To Me 83--project Yard Scrambler

Thanks to mr.moparman I now have an 83 to keep me busy as well.

He is truly a great guy.

It will need some work so, I will be asking for parts once I get rolling.

here are a few pictures. I threw in one of the storm following the miss. river. It never caught me

009-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

Last edited:

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
What is the specs on this one and what do you have planned for it? Looks like a great starting point, wish I had it! Sherwood Green is one of my favorite colors on CJ's!

Last edited:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
It is basically a blank canvas. 4.2 I-6 with a 4 speed. 82K original miles

99% complete. Has half hard top. Great bulkhead. Still has lower seal.

Structurally it is in GREAT shape. No Rust on body or frame. Rust on windshield frame though.

It is currently not running. It has been sitting for a while. I need to go through it pretty good to see what all it needs

Probably needs new motor, springs, gas tank,misc. etc. Trans???

At this point it can either be built to be some sort of crawler or just look somewhat factory because all major components need to be replaced anyway.

Not sure what direction to go in. really a great starting point though. very solid

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Reston
State
VA
Did you have to plan ahead to have the trailer wheels match the Scrambler wheels?

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
:rotfl: I actually looked at 4 trailers before I found one that matched. so i used it :thumbsup:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Quick Wash

I just gave it a quick, much needed on trailer wash. Looks Nice

0011-1.jpg

0031-1.jpg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
It cleans up well. Nice!

rstickley

SOA Member
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
Carencro
State
La
Nice Scrambler. :thumbsup: I live near Lafayette so hopefully we can meet up someday.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Nice Jeep...

But that tie down job needs some work. You should go to either the axles or the wheels.

Also you should use a minimum of 4 points, 2 each going front and Back. Also try to use a shorter length of tie down. That stuff will stretch and the longer it is the longer it will stretch.

MAC's tie downs has a lot of info on their site about how to properly tie down a rig. They make good stuff too, but I am not pimping that.

Just the way that you have that vehicle on the trailer could have been really bad had you had to make an emergency maneuver, or been in an accident. Just do not want anyone getting hurt.

But the jeep looks like a good starting point.

Carl

jeepers 1940

Legacy Registered User
City
Madison
State
MS
Like the others, I like your green body color; it is a classic Jeep color and contrasts well with your graphics. Looks like a good score. Keep us posted on your progress with it.

Last edited:

Dave K.

Legacy Registered User
City
Milwaukee
State
WI
Very nice project.

If I owned the Jeep I would not modify it but rather restore it. Modified Scrams are a dime a dozen and don't exactly hold their value. Original ones on the other hand--and especially original clean projects command good prices even today. Cruise Craigslist and see what's on there--also check out eBay--not much original good iron coming up for sale but lots of "dreams". Few people want to pay top dollar for another person's dream . . .

You'll thank yourself down the road for keep an original and original . . .

Highlander22

Basic User
City
Ukiah
State
CA
parts????

Hey there -

I'm sure you may have options closer to you, but I'm in the middle of a body off rebuild on my 82. Anyhow - I have an 83 cj7 I bought to steal parts off of for mine. I took what I needed and am now selling it... All I took was the hood, fenders, windshield frame.... It has a motor that looks to be in good shape, all running gear, stock scrambler rims off mine, as well as an auto trans... looks to be in good shape... I have it advertised on Craigs List San Francisco Bay area - north bay....I'm asking $1500.... Just in case you or anyone you know are looking for running gear or parts...

I'm in northern California...

Cheers - and good luck..
matt

Remington19

Legacy Registered User
City
Stevensville
State
MI
what does one have to pay for a unit like this ? I am sure all of us "wantabe" buyers could use this as a reference point.

Appreciate the response in advance.