Number of members? number of Scramblers?

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
You can make and register a home built vehicle. But the state will assign a new VIN. And it will be the current year, but have emissions requirements of the year the vehicle resembles. So, you could have a 2020 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler.

In my book, that is NOT a scrambler. Just like a replica Cobra is NOT a Shelby Cobra. Both are way cool, but only one is the real thing baby.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Can a VIN/Title that has been scrapped or dead be revived or re-instated at a later time?
That depends on how it was dealt with in regards to the DMV. I have purchased several vehicles that have been wrecked or just not used for years- largest time was 20 years. As long as the vehicle is not reported as totaled or sold to a junkyard as a total you can still register them easily. I have even purchased vehicles from scrap yards that they never turned in the title as salvage. All it takes is a bill of sale, and a title if available. If there is no title you send a registered letter with a bill of sale to sign to the last known owners address. If the letter comes back as “not at address, no forwarding address”, you should be golden. Oregon will flat out issue you a clear title in that case. Or you get back a signed bill of sale, and get your title. I only had one person say they wanted the vehicle back-(it wasn’t theirs, they had sold it but the new owner lost the title). I told that person there was over $5000 storage due and it would have to be towed. Got the bill of sale on that one too. 👍🏻

Once the vehicle is totaled it can possibly be reregistered with a salvage or branded title, but some states make that difficult.

jpnmaine

CJ-8.com Member
City
East Wilton
State
ME
Maine doesn't require a title on 20 plus year old vehicles. Just a bill of sale. If you want to reestablish a title you need to put in the paper work to the DMV; little money later you have a title. Requires work on your part and the rules are slowly getting more restrictive as time goes by.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I just bought a scrap YJ windshield frame for the wiper linkage. It still had the VIN tag on it. I’m tempted to see if I could get a new title for it, but not THAT tempted.

My overlander has a bonded title, due to the fact it was NEVER titled in the US and previous owner did not have the proper import papers.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Adding to the complexity of Jeep gender identification... how does this one identify?

https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/d/east-dorset-jeep-cj5/7144827211.html

I wake up feeling like a CJ5, but then I want to be more like my older brother the CJ6, but then would like a gladiator bed, but use a CJ7 modified hardtop?

cb
I don't know anything about Toyotas but I have a feeling that is a Toyota in Jeepish clothing. Looks weird without any front frame horns, 6 lug axles, 22re, un jeepike steering column:shrug:

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I have had 2 Scramblers that I took apart, 1 burnt, 1 was a hot mess with aluminum diamond plate and steel fence post bodywork.
My first Scrambler was taken apart by at least 2 owners past me. Body was for sale on facebook a few months back.

Sfisher

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
El Dorado Hills
State
CA
I don't know anything about Toyotas but I have a feeling that is a Toyota in Jeepish clothing. Looks weird without any front frame horns, 6 lug axles, 22re, un jeepike steering column:shrug:
I think you're right, that front axle is a Toyota. It's like a Frankenstein of Jeep and Toyota. Weird looking!

Someone put some effort into that.