• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Official CJ-8.com Forum Lurker Intro Thread!

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
No known proven V8 CJ8 made that I have ever seen, same goes with the more knowledgeable people on this forum. 1 guy on FB swears he has one but no paperwork or anything to prove it other than his word.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Hi guys, I am is search of a CJ8 project to start with my daughter. I just sold a TJ I built from stock, It lasted us 12 years. Times have changed and it was time to say good bye. Im looking for something a bit more "Jeep" than the current machines that are being manicured these days. My daughter's legs will not stop growing and the TJ just doest work any longer. The 12 years gave me lots of understanding what it takes to build a dependable capable rig, and what I want out of a Jeep. The TJ always felt a bit short. The JK/JL 4drs are too heavy and large to be considered at this time, The CJ8 fell into a great midway and I am excited to start this project. If any of you know of a project with good bones or a built rig, I would be happy to come check it out. I'm in Southern California and If I can make it to you and back all in 4 days, let me know. not in a hurry but I do feel less than, without a Jeep rig.
Thanks.
-Cy

SchuCru

Gold Member
City
Cape Charles
State
VA
A Lurker no longer. Third CJ, second CJ8, but new to forum. Had this one going on three years. Base model previous owner swapped in an AMC 360, added lifts, and put it on 35's. I haven't done much to it.
Yet.

Everything runs great, frame is solid, looks like someone tried to rhino line hide some minor surface issues in tub (nothing bad). Never had a CJ track as straight as this (I regularly drive bridge-tunnel WITHOUT white knuckles).

First I'm probably going to rewire it this winter when the weather goes south. No priority of work after that.

Attachments

• 20230611_150415.jpg
    20230611_150415.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 23

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
A Lurker no longer. Third CJ, second CJ8, but new to forum. Had this one going on three years. Base model previous owner swapped in an AMC 360, added lifts, and put it on 35's. I haven't done much to it.
Yet.

Everything runs great, frame is solid, looks like someone tried to rhino line hide some minor surface issues in tub (nothing bad). Never had a CJ track as straight as this (I regularly drive bridge-tunnel WITHOUT white knuckles).

First I'm probably going to rewire it this winter when the weather goes south. No priority of work after that.
Nice! Welcome!

And thanks for the membership upgrade to help support the forum!

RockTractor

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Yet.

Welcome!

SchuCru

Gold Member
City
Cape Charles
State
VA
Welcome! Post some more pics when you get a chance.
Slow to get around to pics (overseas a lot these days).

Just a couple new ones today. Got my TNT swing carrier installed, and also re-rigged the back seat setup. Originally got a full cage and was going to go with the bench in a normal position but changed my mind. I like the utility turning the bench around provides and the storage.

No doubt haters are going to hate, but tough. 😉

Attachments

• 20231119_141629.jpg
    20231119_141629.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20231119_141637.jpg
    20231119_141637.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 44

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI

Just a couple new ones today. Got my TNT swing carrier installed, and also re-rigged the back seat setup. Originally got a full cage and was going to go with the bench in a normal position but changed my mind. I like the utility turning the bench around provides and the storage.

Nice mods. I especially like the storage. Does the tire carrier reinforce the sheet metal where the carrier pivots?

Also, I don't think you'll find any haters on this forum. And I don't know why anyone would hate on that beautiful CJ-8. 👍

xatu40

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Port Orange
State
FL

I like it! My uncle had a Chevy station wagon with a rear facing seat in the back. We thought it was the coolest.

SchuCru

Gold Member
City
Cape Charles
State
VA
Nice mods. I especially like the storage. Does the tire carrier reinforce the sheet metal where the carrier pivots?

Also, I don't think you'll find any haters on this forum. And I don't know why anyone would hate on that beautiful CJ-8. 👍
The TNT kit does spread the weight out with a full metal plate that runs the full length under both hinges. There is also a plate at the latch site (three bolts).

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA

Good to see another Virginia Scrambler.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
The TNT kit does spread the weight out with a full metal plate that runs the full length under both hinges. There is also a plate at the latch site (three bolts).

I've seen just about every single tire carrier on the market installed in person and a lot of them on the trail. The TNT unit is easily the best one, by FAR. I have a 35 on it and it's mounted so solidly it's actually hard to believe. It's a shame that it's not well known, they should be selling them as fast as they can make them. They're pricey, but it's so good and it lets you run any bumper you want!!

Welcome and thanks for your service.

rkj49

City
Waverly
State
VA
New member here. I own a CJ 7 and a bunch of jeep parts. Bought it in 2012, the jeep had a rusty tub and a patched frame. I have been driving it like that for 11 years. I ended up with some parts to fix that finally, a YJ tub, YJ frame, one ton axles, and 40 inch tires I always wanted more wheelbase because of the steep obstacles and climbs. So I bought some steel and took my drivetrain out yesterday. Next weekend I am cutting and adding 24" of steel to the YJ frame. I will be combining the 2 tubs to make it CJ -8 length with a 117" wheelbase and it will fit a CJ 8 soft top.

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
New member here. Next weekend I am cutting and adding 24" of steel to the YJ frame. I will be combining the 2 tubs to make it CJ -8 length with a 117" wheelbase and it will fit a CJ 8 soft top.
Welcome, sounds cool, this group likes photos, start a build thread at this link: https://www.cj-8.com/forum/non-scrambler-builds.50/

Look forward to seeing your progress

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
That’s good looking right there. There are a few of us around here that have a soft spot for silver Scramblers.
Clean truck right there.
Carry on and thanks for your service, we here stateside appreciate you guys!