Original paint '81 Scrambler. Go for it or run away?

City
Roselle
State
Il
Has the seller indicated a price? Everything looks great if the price matches.

If they want $10k or more I doubt you would have people lining up to buy it. At $3-4k, line forms here.
I agree, this is a 3 to 4K Jeep - but the seller has to see it that way, too. It's cool, but it has many needs and it's a 4. Plus, I can imagine the grief my wife will give me about "another junky car".:giggle:

kgt0001

Jeep Restorer
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
San Antonio
State
TX
What do you want to do with the Jeep? If you want a very original example look past this one. If you want one to use, this looks like a good candidate in the 5K range....

City
Roselle
State
Il
What do you want to do with the Jeep? If you want a very original example look past this one. If you want one to use, this looks like a good candidate in the 5K range....

That is an excellent question!

I REALLY like original things. Other than the lift, this looks original to me. I'm honestly not interested in modded Jeeps or buying someone's already modded Jeep. I'm willing to spend more money than what I expect this one will go for, for a better one. But I'm just not finding that sweet spot.

ag4ever

Basic User
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
That is an excellent question!

I REALLY like original things. Other than the lift, this looks original to me. I'm honestly not interested in modded Jeeps or buying someone's already modded Jeep. I'm willing to spend more money than what I expect this one will go for, for a better one. But I'm just not finding that sweet spot.
Do you like the patina? If you don’t want the patina and you wand original, you will be spending considerable money on restoring it, and if you value original original, you will still have a stock under powered 4 cyl jeep. I don’t value patina and like fresh paint, so it would be a good start for what I like, but your desires may be different.

City
Roselle
State
Il
Do you like the patina? If you don’t want the patina and you wand original, you will be spending considerable money on restoring it, and if you value original original, you will still have a stock under powered 4 cyl jeep. I don’t value patina and like fresh paint, so it would be a good start for what I like, but your desires may be different.
I think the patina is kind of cool. If I get it, I'd fix what needs fixing, clean it up and detail best I can and that's that. But....in my introduction thread I posted a pic of a 1979 AMX field find I had. That car exhausted me. I'm not looking for that kind of project again.