• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Pappy's Adventure - 1981 restomod

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
With “Pappy” I decided to jump in… I prefer the 12 year Vanwinkle at 90 proof… I have a friend that follows this recipe, sorta restomod for Pappy bourbon
Not had that one yet, great another unicorn I have to chase.

TimmyTooTall

City
Joshua
State
Tx
Restomod Pappy 🤣🤣 I love it.

Love me some weller SR. Managed to grab a bottle of 12 a few months back. Milking it. I've had the chance to try "rip van winkle" 10 and Pappy 15. Whew baby...

My go to regular favorite is Smoke wagon Uncut Unfiltered out of Las Vegas. Higher rye content and bottled 115%-120%. It's some damn good juice.

Attachments

• PXL_20221217_032528387.jpg
    PXL_20221217_032528387.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 16

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Restomod Pappy 🤣🤣 I love it.

Love me some weller SR. Managed to grab a bottle of 12 a few months back. Milking it. I've had the chance to try "rip van winkle" 10 and Pappy 15. Whew baby...

My go to regular favorite is Smoke wagon Uncut Unfiltered out of Las Vegas. Higher rye content and bottled 115%-120%. It's some damn good juice.
That bottle of Willett got me excited. :smokin:

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Smooth Ambler. I’ll post a photo of the label. They do have several versions of smooth ambler, this is the bourbon variety.

Right there with you on the excitement. Between scramblers, guns, and bourbon, that is 90% of my vices. Only other is my ski boat addiction.
To help get back to Pappy’s Adventure there is a new Vices thread at

TimmyTooTall

City
Joshua
State
Tx
I was able to take Pappy out for his first shake down run at Hidden Falls. Did a bunch of the 3 stars and two 4 stars. I was pretty amazed at how well it did for mostly stock open diffs 3.31 gears. Some minor rubbing but nothing terrible. The wide tracs should help with that as well.

Definitely solidified my stance of swapping out the SR4 at some point. Parked on an incline when a UTV parked right behind me. Less than a foot. I inadvertently put the SR4 into reverse vs 1st. Luckily I caught it pretty quick and didn't hit him. Really don't like how R is right next to 1. Will have to be careful in future excursions till I swap.

Over all a great day and I learned a lot about how it handles off-road. Absolutely nothing broke and I was blown away. These CJs are just awesome.

PXL_20230114_200644112.jpgScreenshot_20230115-080329.png

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
I also ran into another scrambler owner out there. Tommy if you're here it was a pleasure sir!

Tommy & Peter , both good dudes have known them for years.

Tommy in the foreground and Peter next to his Rubi.
Robbed this pictures from Tommy's Facebook.
325582918_845135833438553_369587444963629531_n.jpg

TimmyTooTall

City
Joshua
State
Tx
Got the AMC 20 torn down, cleaned up and painted. A local shop welded the tubes to the pumpkin for me. Got all in internals delivered. Now it's time to make some magic happen. First time setting gears and looking forward to the learning process.

4.56, one piece shafts and an ox locker. Yippy!

PXL_20230214_213141155.jpg

PXL_20230222_194542705.jpg

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Are you doing cable operated or electric for the OX?

TimmyTooTall

City
Joshua
State
Tx
Whew! Where to start. I see why this gear setup stuff is not for the faint of heart. We did 12 official setups but likely more than that with small backlash changes I didn't notate. Think we've finally got it. Now the real bugger is final setup. It's gonna be fun getting the outer pinion bearing on and final carrier bearing preload. 🤞🤞🤞

I will say I'm not too impressed with Revolution gears "master" install kit. They use the new pinion shims that go between the pinion and the pinion bearing. Ended up ordering some proper OEM pinion shims from Raytech. Their carrier shim kit was also very limited. Ended up ordering the motive gear shims for more interchangeability.

Ready to get this bad boy buttoned up and move on to the D30!

PXL_20230320_213111969~2.jpgPXL_20230320_213133923~2.jpg

IMG_20230315_144319_01.jpg20230315_180359-COLLAGE~3.jpg

TimmyTooTall

City
Joshua
State
Tx
In preparation for the axle swap I'm diagnosing other steering issues as well. Lots of slop in the wheel. Discovered one of the holes in the steering box bracket had wollard out. Got the MORE steering box bracket installed and it's much better. This tightening showed us a decent amount of side to side play in the driver front shackle. Might replace those and the bushing while we have it all apart.

PXL_20230322_015929722.jpg

TimmyTooTall

City
Joshua
State
Tx
Been a while... New babies will do that to ya though.

In the mean time I've been trying to get the D30 done. And I'm having a heck of a time with the pinion and the yoke. There is a considerable amount of interference and takes incredible force to get the yoke down onto the pinion.

My Revolution rep initially stated "I don't think this is normal". Now Revolution is saying these gears are in spec and to take it to a shop. I'm still adamant somethings not right.

In the pics below you can see how the splines on the new pinion leave a bit of a gap with the yoke splines vs the old stock gears. I bought a new pinion thinking that was the issue. Same problem.

PXL_20230515_183807974~2.jpg
As far down as the yoke will go with a few whacks from a dead blow hammer.

PXL_20230515_183650730~2.jpgThe same yoke with the old pinion, no hits required.

PXL_20230515_183822990.MP~2.jpg
You can see the gap between the splines vs the old pinion below.

PXL_20230515_183724092~2.jpg

Anyone have any insight? My Revolution rep is going to speak to his supervisor about a replacement. We'll see.