• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Postal Hinges

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
All,
I have been racking my noggin to figure out how to turn my tailgate into a swing out from a fold down (more so to have an external latch mechanism). While looking through pics of Postal and Overlander's I thought I could take some hinges from the swing out tailgates on these and fab them into a somewhat stock looking solution for my scrambler. Has anyone tried this and/or have some good pictures of the Postal tailgate?

Thanks
Tim
 
Here's some ideas...

This one uses a Wrangler paddle handle and latch, and Wrangler hinges, it was phase 1 of my trailer tailgate project:

WranglerMod1-1.jpg


Phase 2 was to turn the above into a swing-down tailgate with a Wrangler paddle handle and lock, latches on both the driver and passenger sides, and CJ tailgate hinges on the bottom. The latches on both sides are actuated from the single Wrangler paddle handle.

TubMockup12-1.jpg


If details on these would help you, let me know what you'd like to see and I can post more photos.

Jeff
 
Here's the photo you asked for of the Postal tailgate (actually barn door), showing the stock hinges. This is not the stock spare tire carrier, it's one I had to fabricate because when I got my postal top it no longer had the stock spare carrier.

DSCN2465.JPG
 
The postal hinges may be impossible to find, but even if you did, I think they're just way too large and would look really bad. Note in jeffs picture that the top hinge is on the top, not the tub.

I'd just go with wrangler stuff like Jeff did.
 
"I'd just go with wrangler stuff like Jeff did."

I second that. It will look much cleaner and and be a quicker project being that the parts are plentiful.
 
Thanks all I appreciate the feedback. Based on whats been sent along, I am now focusing on the hinge down approach but making the latching mechanison a little more user friendly.

Jscherb - any chance you have that tailgate lying around and need to get rid of it? I could take it off your hands ;) Pictures of the phase 2 set-up and linkage would great. Given I can't fab up the Jeep centerpiece to give more room for a YJ handle and latch, I am thinking about playing with an existing truck tailgate linkage with the handle in the center of the tailgare above the jeep wiriting. I think there will be enough room inside the door to run linkages and am hopefuly I can figure out the actual latching piece.
 
Thanks all I appreciate the feedback. Based on whats been sent along, I am now focusing on the hinge down approach but making the latching mechanison a little more user friendly.

Jscherb - any chance you have that tailgate lying around and need to get rid of it? I could take it off your hands ;) Pictures of the phase 2 set-up and linkage would great. Given I can't fab up the Jeep centerpiece to give more room for a YJ handle and latch, I am thinking about playing with an existing truck tailgate linkage with the handle in the center of the tailgare above the jeep wiriting. I think there will be enough room inside the door to run linkages and am hopefuly I can figure out the actual latching piece.

Based on what you just wrote about using a truck tailgate linkage, I don't think looking at the inside of my tailgate will help you, but here goes...

Here's a view of the inside of the tailgate, taken from the point of view of the rear of the Jeep (the outer skin is removed). I used Jeep TJ/YJ tailgate latches on both sides of the tailgate. You can see the link rod that runs across the tailgate, and the two bellcranks connecting the link rod to the paddle handle and the passenger side latch. The inset photo shows a better view of a bellcrank. The bellcranks came from the door mechanism of a Subaru.

TailgateInternalView2-1.jpg


Next are close-up views of the mechanisms through the access holes (viewed from the inside of the Jeep). On the passenger side you can see how a short pushrod attached to the bellcrank actuates the latch. On the driver's side you can see the extra pushrod I added to move the bellcrank on that side. There are two brass-colored screws visible near the bellcranks, these secure the bellcranks to the tailgate, and allow the entire mechanism to be removed and serviced through the access holes like I'm sure the factory would have done.

LinkageFrontView-1.jpg


And finally, internal close-up views of the mechanism (viewed from the outside of the Jeep, the tailgate skin is removed).

TailgateInteralViewDetails-1.jpg


The mechanism works very smoothly. Pulling up on the outside paddle handle releases both latches just as you'd expect.
 
Thanks for the detail, it definitely provides some clarity. Given my limited experience with metal working, I am leaning towards and external solution similar to or exactly like the liftgate hardware on a hardtop. I might be able to essentially bolt on the same hardware, with a few modifications and use the T handle on the outside of the tailgate. If I want to enclose the cables and mechanism, I could have a metal cover fabricated.

I am currently looking for a cheap set of the hardware to prototype this. I full expect to need to extend the square rod out of the handle but everthing else looks to be somewhat "bolt on". I may need to add some reinforcement but in theory I think it will work.
 
Some time ago I mocked up how a t-handle might work on a CJ tailgate, here's some photos:

CJTailgate-1.jpg
 
Some time ago I mocked up how a t-handle might work on a CJ tailgate, here's some photos:

CJTailgate-1.jpg
I was wondering if you ever did this? How did it work? I would love to do an external handle for easy access. I keep coming back to this picture and wondered if you had success or if there was a reason you went another route.

Thanks
Jon
 
I was wondering if you ever did this? How did it work? I would love to do an external handle for easy access. I keep coming back to this picture and wondered if you had success or if there was a reason you went another route.

Thanks
Jon
I think that @Randyzzz did a different setup on his as well.
 
I was wondering if you ever did this? How did it work? I would love to do an external handle for easy access. I keep coming back to this picture and wondered if you had success or if there was a reason you went another route.

Thanks
Jon
First thing I would do is remount the hinges the right way :shrug: (sorry it's my big pet peeve)
Also, I know that's not your yours APCJ8.
 
Flipping the hinges was the first thing PmI did when the Jeep was delivered. PO had them upside down. Amazing how simple it was to get tailgate to sit level. Glad I did some homework before I shortened the cables.
 
Back
Top