Purchasing new axles, I'd like some input please

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I didn't realize that thank you. I would prefer to keep my Dana 300 transfer case as it's fairly bombproof and I like the 2.6:1 low. Sounds like my idea of a simple swap was deeply flawed. I'm very glad i posted my plan.

Sorry for the ignorant questions but I'm new to Scramblers. I had been looking for one with a stock drive train but when i found this one with zero rust, i jumped on it thinking i could update it with a modern jeep setup.

I'm still happy i jumped, as I've always preferred rust free mechanical basket cases to mechanically perfect rot boxes. I've just got a bit more work to do than i thought. And I'm learning a lot about these beautiful machines.

Just out of curiosity, are there any wranglers whose drive train you would consider in its entirety? I know the AX15 gear box is thought to be ok. What about YJ or newer transfer cases?

rubclt

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
May not matter... if you are buying new axles and driveline just get it all to work together. The suspension maybe a factor. If you stay with leaf springs, and a TJ axle size then you will need East Coast Gear to configure for leafs with the axle drop you need.

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
May not matter... if you are buying new axles and driveline just get it all to work together. The suspension maybe a factor. If you stay with leaf springs, and a TJ axle size then you will need East Coast Gear to configure for leafs with the axle drop you need.
Fair point. I don't really want to change the rig too much given how clean she is. I think keeping the Dana and swapping in a 350/NV4500 makes a lot of sense. Then the diffs can stay as placed, keep the leaf springs and simply change the drive shafts as needed.

Plus, I've always wanted a dual stick Dana...

Armed with these thoughts, i reckon I'm ready to order my axles. 3.73 me thinks.

Last edited:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Building a CJ8 with TDK frame and Teraflex coil springs with East Coast Gear axles that have JK brakes and hubs cut to TJ width, lockers and 4:10. Hemi 5.7 and 545RFE with 4:1 transfer case. It also changes front axle drop. I also have to run JK wheels, lots of 17” takeoffs. The wheel in photo is not final wheel. Trust this helps View attachment 71701 View attachment 71702 View attachment 71703 View attachment 71704
If you want JK wheels, I’ve got 5 of these new in the box to sell. PM me if you’re interested. I have nothing that they fit on...

Attachments

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I've done some dreaming on the ECGS too...

Wish there were some more choices on CJ axles. I want to keep 5.5 on 5.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
If you have/had a combination that you were happy with, you may be able to play with gear, tire size, trans, etc. combinations to get somewhat of an idea of gearing.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
I just swapped a 4.0 in (wants to live at higher RPM than the 258) with AX-15 (no granny gear, but not tall either) and am running 295/75/17 tires (34s). I bumped from 373 (when I had 32s) and now 456. I love the change; it's better geared now. The tire sized dictated wheel spacers...which is what has me long term looking at 60 or 61 inch wide axles (which would be the same without the spacers).. new jeep.jpg

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I just swapped a 4.0 in (wants to live at higher RPM than the 258) with AX-15 (no granny gear, but not tall either) and am running 295/75/17 tires (34s). I bumped from 373 (when I had 32s) and now 456. I love the change; it's better geared now. The tire sized dictated wheel spacers...which is what has me long term looking at 60 or 61 inch wide axles (which would be the same without the spacers).. View attachment 71779
That looks nice. I'm going 3.73, 60.5". I've got the 302 and one day will go either 350 Chevy or 2.8 Cummins- either way it'll need a bit lower rpm. I'd love to whack the 4 litre in as I'm an inline 6 fan but easiest route given I bought my scrambler with the Ford boat anchor is to work around it.

How do you like the ax15? Reading the Novac site I'm actually thinking of using that rather than the NV4500 just for ease of overall install (the OD is only .79 though, thus the 3.73- I very nearly went with 3.55). Novac will send me the whole unit with a rebuilt Dana 300 built onto it and the housing for the Ford. I'm really tempted to order one of their complete driveline setups but after spending $8,000 on axles and thousands on seats, tyre rack, front bumper, guages......I think I'd risk divorce if I dropped another $13,000 straight away on a drive train.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
The AX-15 is great. I pulled my entire 4.0 / AX-15 out of a Unicorn XJ that had that and only had 118k miles (barely broke in for an 4.0). It's a great upgrade over the T-5.

What size tire are you going....the 3.73 sounds pretty low still..

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
32×11.50×15 BFG A/Ts.

What year XJ did you use? Did you use the Novac adapter to keep your Dana 300? How's the power for your setup, adequate? Does the vehicle speed sensor come off the gear box or transfer case on that drive train?

That's actually the setup I'd probably like but i seem to be moving more toward keeping the Ford. It's only got 8000 miles on it and actually runs really well. Plus I've done enough engine swaps back in the day that l am really not that keen to do another just yet. I really love driving my Scrambler and I'm not too keen to have her down too long until i do the actual frame off.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Why do you call your Ford 302 a boat anchor? Easy and cheap to make power with them and it should weigh less than an AMC 258. I have one in a '90 Mustang that has been beat on for at least 80000 miles, pulls hard from 1500 to 6200 rpms. Heaven forbid if my Mustang ever gets wrecked, the engine and trannny are going in a Jeep, might end up being a 2wd CJ but it will be a 12-13 second CJ.

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I suppose that's not a fair statement. What i meant was that I'd rather pull it and put a Chevy in and drop the Ford lump in a pond, not that it's slow. It actually runs really nicely and produces decent power.

However, it's my first Ford product and it's very unfamiliar to me. I'm having a bear of a time trying to source the bell housing and conversion parts to put either an NV4500 or AX15 behind it whilst walking past hundreds of cheap Chevy parts which would work perfectly- the NV4500 would simply bolt to a 350 with no need for adapters.

I did finally find the bell housing i needed for a small fortune on fleaBay; putting paid to my hope of a cheap engine to play with (now i can buy the far more expensive adapter i wouldn't need with a 350...). My experience so far is that Ford power costs significantly more than The General for similar results.