• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Restauration Scrambler

Jeep Gaschi

City
Berlin
State
GE
Hallo Together,
I´am Stefan from Berlin City in germany and got 2016 my CJ8 in Parts.
Also i have two CJ7 in my garage and it was my target to have a Scrambler.
The Frame and the axles are finished. The Body ist now at the Painter.
But my Problem is, there was now certificate of Title to the Parts.
If someone have a idea, where i get a old one?

20181217_140811_1.jpg

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I'd look for a really, really bad scrambler, with a good title and buy it to "build you scrambler under". Might even have someone on the board that has one (not me)...

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
That's what I'm looking for in Ohio. Mine must be a Ohio title. 10 yrs ago I found plenty of them, I was just looking for one in better condition. Unfortunately I found one that I thought was in better condition. Paid more and had to have shipped to me. Rude awaking when it arrived. Now the search is on so I can plate the cj7 being made into a cj8.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
That's what I'm looking for in Ohio. Mine must be a Ohio title. 10 yrs ago I found plenty of them, I was just looking for one in better condition. Unfortunately I found one that I thought was in better condition. Paid more and had to have shipped to me. Rude awaking when it arrived. Now the search is on so I can plate the cj7 being made into a cj8.
Since your Jeep was a CJ7, and you extended it to CJ8 size, I see nothing wrong with keeping the CJ7 title with it. That makes it easy.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
That's one of the ways I was thinking. Just don't know if I ever get pulled over by a officer that's a jeep fan. The first cj8 I built I started in 2009. I put the title in my name in 2015 with no problems (a PA title). I got another cj8 title (NY title) and went to put it in my name a few months ago. Found out at the title bureau that now out of state titles, vehicle must go to state highway partol. They need to verify the title. If it's not a complete vehicle they verify the vin, then create a new vin with a birth date of the year of when they vin it. If it's a 2019, it needs to meet 2019 emission requirements. If it's 25 yrs or older, no emission check. I have a Engine Factory rebuilt chevy 350 engine. With a Ohio title it's just put in my name a 25yr or more vehicle. My mechanic says that he knows guy's that get old chevy vehicles and rebuild them. They take them to get the vin verified and tell them they bought them as rebuilt cars. With my luck they won't buy that.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Then if the seven is registered in your name and state then I'd continue with that registration. Same car, replaced body and frame. Keep a few pictures of frame, body and CJ7 in case you meet that knowledgeable cop.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Not finding anything in Ohio, so your thoughts is what I've also been thinking. Not worrying about selling the jeep. My wife keeps saying I'll be buried in one of the jeeps.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Getting close to dangerous territory folks. Word of caution, let's be careful.

There is no selling of titles or discussion of selling titles without vehicles allowed on this forum per the forum rules.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
If is titled as CJ7 just keep it that way. Jeep bodies get changed around all the time and you don't hear of many issues with it. I have a titled CJ 6 body going on a modified TJ frame, it is going to stay titled as a CJ6. Take lots of date stamped pictures and keep a book on the build, if you ever get questioned you can prove what you did and it is still the CJ7.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I'm thinking along the same line as you and Kim. I don't want to open a can of worms. Would love to save another cj8 though. It stinks that Ohio would consider it a new vehicle (with the state patrol creating a new vin it's listed as a project vehicle, not a cj8, it would take another cj8 away from us). BW, I was only commenting on tower210's comment. 10 yrs ago I had my choice of a couple cj8 that needed new body's and frames for around $1.000.00. Today you never see them in Ohio. On occasion I find them in Michigan and Pa. That's what I would love to find in Ohio. That's what I was talking about.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
If your anything like here, find a shot cj8 or see if you can get a title as a project vehicle. Just build it like you would if it was a cj8 (plus what they require for a project title).