• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Rocker panel protection on my new paint job

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
I'm almost ready to take my tub into the paint bay and I really dont want to ruin this paint job on my gravel roads with rock chips. My 8 is close to stock so I'm not crazy about the body armour looking rocker protection. OEM rocker trim is almost non-existant. Is there a solution I should be considering? I haven't found a great aftermarket product even though Kentrol comes close with a stainless piece of trim. I intend to powder coat or paint it. I also wondered about a protective film like 3M makes. Any thoughts?

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Leave it in the garage for a couple of years. Then drive the crap out of it. :) Just kidding. Just remember one thing. Life is short sometimes and who knows what will happen. Enjoy it while you can and don't worry

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The 3M film is good stuff and darn near invisible. Another thing that works great is mud flaps. They are a love ‘em or hate ‘em thing. I’m reinstalling the factory rocker guards and attempting to find unobtrusive flaps. I might put a thin strip of the 3M in front of the rear wheel well and behind the rear wheel once I think my paint is fully cured.

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
I'm currently debating putting on diamond plating. hard to drill the holes though!

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I'm almost ready to take my tub into the paint bay and I really dont want to ruin this paint job on my gravel roads with rock chips. My 8 is close to stock so I'm not crazy about the body armour looking rocker protection. OEM rocker trim is almost non-existant. Is there a solution I should be considering? I haven't found a great aftermarket product even though Kentrol comes close with a stainless piece of trim. I intend to powder coat or paint it. I also wondered about a protective film like 3M makes. Any thoughts?
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...er-Panel-Coating/?N=5002385+3293193752&rt=rud

This has been suggested before for texturing half hard top repaints.

Maybe using it for it's designed purpose wouldn't be a bad idea either. :rolleyes:

I didn't do any research for availability of different textures.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I'm currently debating putting on diamond plating. hard to drill the holes though!
I don’t want to discourage you if that’s the look you want, but diamond plating is usually the signal for “hidden rust”. Especially because if there wasn’t rust there before the install, there will be sometime after. There are several companies that make dedicated steel rocker protection panels, and they also have a gasket of sorts to keep the rust monster away. The gasket doesn’t really work under the diamond plate because it’s too flexible. Also, being flexible, diamond plate really doesn’t provide good impact protection. Hope I’m not out of line with my suggestion, I just see so many Jeeps for sale with diamond plate and the first comment is usually “Wonder what rust is hiding under there.”

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Does anybody still make steel diamondplate guards or just flat steel? I have a set of NOS black steel Off Your Rockers in the basement(not for sale). Pretty sure they were the original serious rocker armor readily available(not counting nerf bar style ones).

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
If you go off roading and need the protection from rocks, then the aftermarket protection is useful. If you are just thinking about little nicks from road gravel, then just get some touch up paint from your painter and that will be less noticeable than anything else.

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
Yeah, the daimond plating is a "maybe"... What would ya'll recommend for this:
View attachment 83401View attachment 83402

I had these made by Hanson Enterprises about 21 years ago. Worked great. They wrap under and bolt to the roll bar support.
Took lots of big hits at Moab and the Rubicon. These pics are just before I started tearing down my jeep. Will be doing the Poison Spider stuff you see in the last pic now. I may make a small guard like you see on the new Rubicon Gladiators to add to it.

Corner 1.JPGCorner 2.JPGCorner 3.JPGCorner 5.JPGCorner 4.JPG

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I've seen pics of cj's that had pipe bent and mounted to the frame (similar to roll/step bars trucks have it get into their trucks). Rear end can slide on the rocks without touching the body.

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
I personally resist adding a rear bumber because the departure angle on Scramblers isn't as good as a CJ7 or CJ5. I used to have a CJ5. I guess I got spoiled...

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
Thanks for the feedback and ideas. I do intend to add install mudflaps from the OE patterns I have found on this site. I think I will keep looking for OEM rocker panels but after the paint cures enough I will use the 3M coating. I got to looking and it is on my parents Lexus SUV from the factory as a bra. It is not very noticeable.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Thanks for the feedback and ideas. I do intend to add install mudflaps from the OE patterns I have found on this site. I think I will keep looking for OEM rocker panels but after the paint cures enough I will use the 3M coating. I got to looking and it is on my parents Lexus SUV from the factory as a bra. It is not very noticeable.
Until it gets some age. This is on my Toyota image.jpeg

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX