Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
Been avoiding body work, so I started tearing down the motor. Everything looks pretty good so far. It ran really well when it was parked 2 years ago, so it will just get all new gaskets and seals. Any other recommendations?

20190901_123932.jpg

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
Been a minute. After getting caught up in the Holiday season I am getting back to work on this. Not much actual progress has been made since I last posted here. Mainly thinking, planning, tinkering and parts collecting which causes its own problems.

What is going on: cleaning up the 304, heads are going to my buddies machine shop, bought a full reseal gasket set and timing chain set. Body wise I working the body filler on the sides and seam sealing the inside.

Planning/Thinking: Analysis paralysis has set in. After "finishing" my Scrambler with the 44's, ARBs, RE 4.5", in-cab cage, etc. I just dont drive it as much as I want to. Considering bringing it back closer to stock (2.5", 31-32") and driving it more. This would free-up those parts for this CJ7. I still have the 4.10 Dana/AMC 20 full float that I can use in the 8, but I also have the complete/rusty tub 1986 Laredo that I picked up. It has all the Laredo stuff and Dana 44 that 1) I could use on my 8, 2) just use the axles on my 8, 3) keep it whole and have next year's project?

Need to press on with the original project's body work and make some decisions as spring approaches.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
Its warming up in Utah, so back at it.

Friend gave me a pair of oem fenders. They are cut for fender well headers so he didn't want them. Passenger side is great. Drivers side not so much. Backside is straight. Found quite a bit of bondo and wavy panel.

Resized_20200214_154559.jpeg

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Hammer on dolly will straighten that out just fine. SPI forum is where the bodywork (jing-kings) are at. Great site for that type of stuff.

Is that full float for sale? And for anyone perking their ears up (Spanks) I need a set of drive hubs for mine.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
Is that full float for sale? And for anyone perking their ears up (Spanks) I need a set of drive hubs for mine.
Stirring that pot. Spankrjs has first dibs. I have to inspect the parts that are installed in the axle and make sure I dont sell anything I actually need.

FF PIC.jpg

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
Hammer on dolly will straighten that out just fine.
This wavy is at lease some rust between the panels. Those holes were filled with bondo so someone had been there before. I have another parts fender that I can section that outer skin from.

What is the best stuff to use to kill that rust between?

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
It's a acid that works well on rust. One important thing, coat the rust, keep wet (plastic or re-coat). Turns metal black when done. The important part is to re-wet with the Ospho, then wash with soap and water. Then air dry. You need to reactivate the Ospho (wetting with another coat) to be able to wash it off with soap and water. What happens is if left on you'll have adhesion problems, especially with epoxy primer.
. I've used Ospho for around 40 yrs.