• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Salt - when is the road safe?

All clear at...

• I drive in snow and salt!

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Once road is dry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After traffic blows salt to side

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One good rain

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Several good rains

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • More than that / never in salted region

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

Paulie

City
Bethesda
State
MD
I’m curious what amount of rain / time has to pass before you bring your Scrambler back on the road each spring or following road treatment of salt.

I pulled her out of garage briefly in December after three good rain events. Will probably use that standard in spring.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
If you get a significant torrential downpour, it could be one, but I usually go for at least three. Here you can generally see the white alongside the road disappear as it rains.

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
I'm with BigW, if it's a downpour one might be good. Otherwise several rains.

Paulie

City
Bethesda
State
MD
They salt for the smallest precipitation here in the DC metro area, which means I’m basically offline until the last snow.

Also the drainage is mediocre in my neighbor ...lots of spots with improper drainage so the salt can pool on or around road.

I just start her once a week or so to charge battery and get gaskets wet.

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
Russllville
State
TN
We haven't had much snow here ( east TN) in the last few years. If they mention it at all they salt and spray some kind of chemical on the roads. I was driving my 82 Scrambler as a daily driver for a couple years. I would drive it in the snow but I would always was the underside a couple times after. The '82 was/ is pretty rusty. The previous original owner had used it as daily driver since '82. I know he drove it in the snow. He told me stories of going when nothing else would.

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
I run mine on occasion in the winter, but only to go snow-wheeling and the roads have to be dry or so cold and snowy no salt spray can exist.

But normally it sits in the garage until the salt is washed off the roads with a rain or two.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
No worries about salt down here in Georgia. We drive them all year round.

The snow and ice isn't nearly as bad for them as the pollen...

Paulie

City
Bethesda
State
MD
No worries about salt down here in Georgia. We drive them all year round.

The snow and ice isn't nearly as bad for them as the pollen...

Way to rub it in!

Is pollen really a problem? Air filters or just a joke?

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Salt makes me :angry:& :crazy:. I wouldn't drive anything nice on the roads here in MI until you can't see the salt residue on the road any longer. Their is no hard rule for when that will be.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Nov 1st to May 1st normally they are tucked away... it is a bummer, but it is how they continue to survive.

cb

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Our roads are being brined again right now.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Way to rub it in!

Is pollen really a problem? Air filters or just a joke?

Depending on how bad the season is (dry without much rain), air filters can clog up a bit. I was mostly joking though.

The pollen can mess up the soft tops though and turn them a nasty shade of yellowy-green.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Took this on a road to work last week. That is salt on the road, not snow. Not a CJ friendly time of year in SE PA.20190131_074136.jpg

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Hundreds of years ago empires were built on different kinds of wealth than today's. That would have been a fortune you are driving on. :)

Paulie

City
Bethesda
State
MD
Weather is getting nice in DC area but I think I need one more rainfall to feel confident all the crap is washed off roads.

Is there anything better than the first few warm days of spring? So painful to lose a weekend!