• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Sawzall meets jeep

johnnyvol

Basic User
City
Iron City
State
tn
Well I had to take the sawzall to my 8 last night:( It seems rust/ rot had gotten so bad that the screws holding my fender flares on had countersunk into the metal and I couldn't get them out any other way. BRRRRRRRZZZZZIIIIIIPPPPPPPPP and out they came.:D Here are some pics of what I found. I reckon I'll just cut out all I can but it looks like I might get into the wheel well to get it all. Anybody got a better idea? If I have to remove the wheel well and cut out and weld in a repair them re-install the well that sound like a lot of work. I thought about doing the crusher corner/ flare thing like in this thread. but I'm still thinking about it. Appreciate any great ideas.

John

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
If you want a real adventure, try pulling your rollbar out :eek: . It'll make you wish you had 10 more flares to remove instead :cool: .

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I feel for you, I have the same thing, only worse. The rust on mine was well above the wheelwell/tub joint and the spray in insulation in the postal is the only thing that keeps out the muck/water. I put crusher corners over mine with the intention to pull them off eventually to try something to fix the area.

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Fitting TJ flares on there will cut most if not all of that out and open up your wheel well for more tire stuff.

Truck

N

n9viw

Yeah, if you have rot like that under the flares, you're GUARANTEED to have rot starting under the rollbar feet.
After days of soaking them with penetrating fluid, using a torch to heat them, and breaking three or four Torx drivers, I wound up cutting the heads off the bolts holding my old rollbar in. On my "new" tub, I'm going to do it the easy way: tack weld some 9/16" nuts to the top of each bolt, and use an impact driver to get them out, with or without their shanks. :banghead: