• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Scrambler is safe!

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
It look's like the Scrambler's name is safe. The new Jeep truck will be called Gladiator according to confirmed leaks yesterday. I've had mixed feelings about reviving the Scrambler name, refusing to refer to the new Jeep truck as anything other than JT. I've always liked the original Gladiators and the 2005 concept has been my all-time favorite Jeep concept since I first saw it at that year's Jeep Safari. I'll be ordering one as soon as the order banks open.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
I'm glad they're not using the Scrambler name. :woohoo:Somewhat selfishly, I think the Scrambler deserves to continue to have it's own nameplate.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Aren't they supposed to unveil this thing (whatever they decided to call it) soon? I just hope they offer a 2-door version (or 2+2) in addition to a 4-door that all the spy pics indicate. That thing looks way too long to me.

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
That would be great. I like keeping the Scrambler name for our years.

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
Aren't they supposed to unveil this thing (whatever they decided to call it) soon?

It will be unveiled at the LA Auto Show on Nov. 28.

For those who have not seen the 2005 Gladiator concept, here it is. I told the Jeep reps at the Safari that I'd buy one if it had a removable top.

jeep-gladiatorconcept2.jpg

Last edited:

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Hope that's it... Looks better than this;
cdauto_WranglerPickup_72016_01.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Hope that's it... Looks better than this;
cdauto_WranglerPickup_72016_01.jpg

The concept above has absolutely nothing to do with the new JT. The camo JT pictured has a mock bed and wheel covers to disguise the wheels.

There will be no 2-door.

Release at the LA Auto show as mentioned.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Under all that camo looks like another butt ugly crew cab truck. That 05 Gladiator concept is really nice looking. The "Jeeps" keep loosing their unique look and becoming more like the rest of the pack. If these trucks didn't have the Jeep name, what would be the appeal?

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
If these trucks didn't have the Jeep name, what would be the appeal?
The appeal is a truck with a foldable windshield and removable top and doors that can go (almost) anywhere. While it is rumored to be available with both hard and soft tops, removable roof panels will make it much easier to go topless than with the Scrambler's hard top...which isn't as easy for me to remove as it was when I was younger. I originally thought I wanted a 2-door, but since the JT will be my daily driver, the crew cab will allow me to carry my considerable amount of Search and Rescue gear (and camera equipment when I'm working) inside the cab and my smelly trash in the bed when I have to haul it to town.

I'm sure there will be those who proclaim that it is not a real Jeep. CJers said that about the YJ. YJers said that about the TJ. Etc., etc.

It will be interesting to see what types of shells become available for this truck. I've always had hard shells on my trucks, but may consider a soft shell this time around. It sounds like a tonneau will be a factory option.

Reactions: SKT

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
The appeal is a truck with a foldable windshield and removable top and doors that can go (almost) anywhere. While it is rumored to be available with both hard and soft tops, removable roof panels will make it much easier to go topless than with the Scrambler's hard top...which isn't as easy for me to remove as it was when I was younger. I originally thought I wanted a 2-door, but since the JT will be my daily driver, the crew cab will allow me to carry my considerable amount of Search and Rescue gear (and camera equipment when I'm working) inside the cab and my smelly trash in the bed when I have to haul it to town.

I'm sure there will be those who proclaim that it is not a real Jeep. CJers said that about the YJ. YJers said that about the TJ. Etc., etc.

It will be interesting to see what types of shells become available for this truck. I've always had hard shells on my trucks, but may consider a soft shell this time around. It sounds like a tonneau will be a factory option.
I'm really curious about it, but I think I'll wait for the resale market. The price tag is a bit steep and I'd never buy a new car anyhow.

SKT

Legacy Registered User
City
APO
State
AE
Under all that camo looks like another butt ugly crew cab truck. That 05 Gladiator concept is really nice looking. The "Jeeps" keep loosing their unique look and becoming more like the rest of the pack. If these trucks didn't have the Jeep name, what would be the appeal?

It appears (and I hope) that the JT (Gladiator) will closely resemble the AEV doublecab Brute.

D7C02799-BFB8-40F9-9FC3-2DA96D445AF7.jpeg

0095291C-1E6F-4E4B-BD70-8C3773783D57.jpeg

073B9730-C142-403E-B77D-8A6720D3C669.jpeg

A8EF4792-E354-4F61-A062-82885EC069C3.jpeg

656C1129-9F87-4318-99E7-F39CB3CB4E15.jpeg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
That photo right there in the preview for the video and most of the other "Leaked" photos look totally photoshopped to me. Not saying that it's not the JT in the picture, just that I've not seen anyone calling out how fake some of these photos look for supposedly authentic Jeep media pictures.

In particular, where's the pronounced shadow that it would be throwing in that light and the right rear tire just doesn't look at all like it's actually sitting in/on the dirt. I know the photographer they use for all their official release shoots and I've seen a ton of his work and this ain't it. :shrug:

Like I said, that is likely the truck, but I just think that the photos are made up as far as the landscapes. Also, I just noticed how badly they botched the scaling on "Jeep" above "Gladiator", I know that's just the forum watermark, but it's pretty lame to screw up the proportions of the company logo.

I want to do something with this "leak" for JPFreek, but I can't bring myself to dignify these "leaked" photos with it. I also find it very suspicious that there was a new forum for the new Jeep Scrambler that had all this inside leaked info and then the very same day that the name apparently changed, there was an entirely new Jeep Gladiator forum up and running and pushing out new leaked stuff that happened that same morning?

Seems weird to me, but I'm just glad it won't be called "Scrambler", so I'll shut up now.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
I’m curious what a loaded Rubicon version will be. My wife’s JL Rubicon isn’t fully loaded and was high. I’m expecting an optioned out Rubicon JT to touch $60k

All in all neat idea and not bad looking and they’ll sell them all day long. But for me if I’m spending that kind of cash it’s gonna be on a full size truck.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I'd go further and bet high 60k if not 70k. This is my most significant concern with the JT and I've talked with a LOT of others in the industry that have the identical fear. The JT/Gladiator needs to be competing with the Colorado and Tacoma, not the F150 and Tundra.

Not having a 2-door was the first GIANT red flag for me indicating that they were completely going to miss that mark. I still pray that they'll reverse course on that, but I have heard from too many sources, and one BIG one at Jeep, that there's no plan for a 2-door.

Just like you said, if you look at where a top-of-the-line JLU comes in and add the premium that you know is coming with a totally new JT, I'm genuinely fearful for the JT.

If Jeep can bring in reasonably priced options and deliver on a 2-door, I'll completely change my tune. I also think that this should end up with a Hemi option as well, but that may be total fantasy at this point. If they can do the diesel (again, I fear for the price premium) that will at least be something.

SKT

Legacy Registered User
City
APO
State
AE
bigwalton said:
That photo right there in the preview for the video and most of the other "Leaked" photos look totally photoshopped to me. Not saying that it's not the JT in the picture, just that I've not seen anyone calling out how fake some of these photos look for supposedly authentic Jeep media pictures.

Like I said, that is likely the truck, but I just think that the photos are made up as far as the landscapes.

The JL Wrangler pics looked nearly identical when they were first released. It was clear that the pics were superimposed on a scenic landscape.

bigwalton said:
I also find it very suspicious that there was a new forum for the new Jeep Scrambler that had all this inside leaked info and then the very same day that the name apparently changed, there was an entirely new Jeep Gladiator forum up and running and pushing out new leaked stuff that happened that same morning?

They have a ‘sister’ forum for the JL Wrangler and it unfolded the same exact way...

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
With the Gladiator name, it seems like they should have put a front clip on it more like this;
IMG_1.jpg