• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Scrambler Siting - Munising, MI

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
Heading home from the Keweenaw yesterday and saw a topless Scrambler in Munising---chest nut brown color, looked stock. Gave them a big thumbs up. I was in my scrambler pulling a teardrop. Was it anybody on here?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Excellent. Pics of Scrambler pulling teardrop??

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
You asked! So I have been dreaming of building an overland teardrop....while studying/planning for the build I was also watching the used market for something I could convert. (To buy new is just ridiculous money.) After about 9 mos. I came across a 2007 5x8 pleasant valley and the conversion commenced. Build thread is over on EXPO...starts on page 2, post 28 -

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/teardrop-dilemma.191343/page-2#post-2529961

So here's a fewIMG_3073[1].JPGIMG_3068[1].JPG pics from our trip in the Keweenaw near High Rock Point:IMG_3106[1].JPGIMG_3108[1].JPG

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Awesome pics Scott! I saw them on my phone but had to look again on a bigger screen. Love the trailer. :drool:

Is it loud trailering with a pintle setup? Just curious how you liked that. I really like that retractable awning too.

Last edited:

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
Teardrops inherently have a lot of tongue weight, so on the road...no, the pintle is quiet and very rarely do you hear much of a clunk. Off-road - yes, it's clunkly in rough terrain - crawling over rocks, in and out of ruts, etc. as the trailer accelerates and decels in and out or over the obstacle, but I don't mind it. Pintle hitches are bulletproof, so I can put up with a little noise. It is a fun project, still plan to do a few things such as solar panel for charging the battery. We love using it, we were always tent campers, but being off the ground, 5 minute set-up time, and no wet tent to mess with has some advantages! A friend of mine has dubbed it my "metal tent"

I should have taken some more pics on the trails....

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
That looks really cool, Scott. I'd love to see some more pics as well-

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wow, that's awesome. You should throw up a thread on here with just a couple of the photos and a link to that build thread. Great stuff!!!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Teardrops inherently have a lot of tongue weight, so on the road...no, the pintle is quiet and very rarely do you hear much of a clunk. Off-road - yes, it's clunkly in rough terrain - crawling over rocks, in and out of ruts, etc. as the trailer accelerates and decels in and out or over the obstacle, but I don't mind it. Pintle hitches are bulletproof, so I can put up with a little noise. It is a fun project, still plan to do a few things such as solar panel for charging the battery. We love using it, we were always tent campers, but being off the ground, 5 minute set-up time, and no wet tent to mess with has some advantages! A friend of mine has dubbed it my "metal tent"

I should have taken some more pics on the trails....

Being off the ground is HUGE in so many ways. People don't understand how big a deal that is until they actually try something out like this :thumbsup:

FWIW, I'll never run anything other than the maxcoupler or similar now that I have the one on my trailer. Utterly silent, perfectly smooth in all directions and similarly bulletproof.

Consider a solar suitcase versus hard mounted panels, the ability to move them to the sun (I made extension wires so they can be a decent distance from the trailer) versus having to have the trailer in the sun is invaluable.

The wet tent when it's time to put things away is the only time I hate dealing with my RTT on my trailer. Kate LOVES to point out these "cute" little trailers whenever we see them. I expect we'll own one of these at some point down the road.

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
Being off the ground is HUGE in so many ways. People don't understand how big a deal that is until they actually try something out like this :thumbsup:

Consider a solar suitcase versus hard mounted panels, the ability to move them to the sun (I made extension wires so they can be a decent distance from the trailer) versus having to have the trailer in the sun is invaluable.

I agree and excellent advise on the solar...usually try to set-up the trailer in the shade!