SJScrambler - Getting Started

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Excellent plan and execution. That Jeep storage box even looks like it belongs. I didn't think you would cover up the Jeep panel of the bed after all the work it took to get it there. I like your plan of using stock Jeep parts to put it all together and keeping the fender flares stock will fit right in with all the other visible stock Jeep parts. I like the way you made the rear bumper part of the frame extending it past the body but still making provision for the back body mounts. What do you have in mind for the spare tire?

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
The storage box barely fits in there... it would be better up about an inch, or some sort of molding/heating of the edges to get it to sit flat. I like the look, but mounting it will be something I will have to figure out.

My plan was to run bumperettes on this, so spare tire is going to have to go in the bed I guess... I think hanging off the back would be too much/long and throw the proportions off. I ran one a long time ago in the back of my CJ5 that I really liked and it was removable so you could put stuff in the back. I could always ditch the truck box and put it there someway... I had originally though to make a drop down that a tire would fit into, but I then started getting concerned about drive lines hitting it and enough room.

This won't be a hauler by any stretch, but small stuff in the back was always the intention. So I want to make sure I can do that.

cb

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Two of my Scramblers Have the spare bolted inside the bed using one of the existing threaded holes. For my extended Scrambler, I plan to design a pivoting spare that will fit at back of the cab horizontally even with the top of the bed so a tonneau cover can go over it and longer items can go under the spare. Hopefully I can design a way that the spare can swing up and lock onto the roll bar when taller things need to fit in the bed. If the pivoting idea doesn't work out, maybe it can be made to be repositioned from one spot to the other. I don't want to hang the spare on the back either making the Scrambler even longer.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Thank you all for the compliments... got the mounts cut off the other frame, cleaned up, and transfered to the new frame.
The mounts all are now lining up, but there are a couple that are too short... mainly on the crossmember that goes from side to side of the frame...a bout 1/4 inch, so I will have to rig something up for that in the poly body mount, but all in all, very impressed that 8-10 of these were on point.
It shows how much that TDK frame is similar to a stock one (well minus the 20 or so added inches ;) )

20190327_173716_resized.jpg

20190327_173722_resized.jpg

20190327_173739_resized.jpg

20190327_175105_resized.jpg
I am not sure that this has ever been that far over in the shop, it normally hangs out on the side... but wanted to capture this side as well... allt he body lines mostly line up from the front to back as well... I will have to shim a few things a bit here and cut down maybe one of the body mounts, but all in all, fell into place nice.

20190327_175119_resized.jpg

20190327_185915_resized.jpg

I started taking seats apart last night... got a couple over the weekend that were completely shot from a frame perspective... one was barely holding on... but wanted to do a couple last night and some tonight as it is very tough on the hands and lungs!

Going to get another Jeep Saturday and one next Saturday, along with the one I got last weekend and one was supposed to be delivered the other day, but the guy had a situation with the family, so all good.

Soon to have quite a bunch of stuff to sell again.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Oh, BTW, the camera fogginess... figured it out that I have a crack in the screen that overlays the camera on my phone... and it isn't so easy to replace, so the pictures will be foggy until I get a new phone in a couple months.

It is strange though, sometimes it is fine and others it isn't... I imagine when it is more dry out it is less foggy.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Not much on this... I found the KC hilites and just put them up on top to see if they were high enough to clear the top... I was pulling seats apart and found this...

20190328_180635_resized.jpg

So, that is pretty self explanatory... LOL.

20190328_190131_resized.jpg

20190328_190054_resized.jpg

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I picked up Jeep #3 over the weekend with a lot of goodies as well.
I have one more coming... so 4 total, one is already apart...

20190407_163019_resized.jpg

cb

emacauto

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cherry Valley
State
ma
cb im in Worcester ,ive been following your post and ive been inspired by your efforts to follow thru on my cj8 rebuild, ive been pondering an aftmkt tub after blasting a nicely preserved 8 that lived on military base in maine with 23k ,it appeared impeccable for a n/e truck till, you know first hand what I unearthed, I was intimidated to take on such a overwhelming task till you made it look well lets say not impossible, 5 yrs later I now am certain its achievable and well worth pursuing an original vs repro witch unearths its own dilemmas , thanks for sharing your passion and im sure I can help funding your awesome projects in the need for salvage necessities , thanks again for keepin jeepin goin E.M.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Hey there... thanks for the kind words.
My goal in life is to always try to figure out how things work and see if I can replicate and in often cases make it better if possible.
Yes, all sorts of gremlins live underneath and blasting really brings them to the surface.
IMO, If you replace the items in question and treat it, you know you did it correctly and it will last.
If you cover over it, it will come back.

As for any parts/advice, feel free to contact me... I have ads up on CL in NH and I can be reached through here.
I do have a couple specific parts for a Scrambler that I got through https://www.classicent.com/jeep/jeep-scrambler-cj8-1981-1986
I think there is a rear bed support and a wheel well that didn't end up getting used...so if you need either of those, you are only an +/- hour away and would save on shipping/cost.

Would love to see some pictures/build thread as well (as would most people on the site).

cb

emacauto

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cherry Valley
State
ma
hey cb thanks for reply, I as well live by the modo, if you figure out how something works you can figure out why it don't and fix it. and if you can make it better , I have purchased thru classic most of the items I believe I will need to bring back my orig tub, the only thing I haven't pulled in is the bed floor section ,I was concerned if I could separate the panels w/o damaging the good stuff, I/e cutting the spots around the wheel wells etc, everything is good except the rear bed support, the 4 corners around the bed floor and the 2 outer floor supports for body mounts on front floor panels, I got a little cheese cloth in my bed floor not too bad but wavy between supports so goin this far will prob buy section. one thing I noticed is you don't blast or dip your metal ,because your not equipped or its not nesecary ? ,what other than weldable primer do you recommend to treat the metal? I aint scared to cut ,grind or weld in new stuff, just afraid if I don't treat well enough ,it will all be in vain, with all my attention in my body I have not revisited my frame condition in a couple years, is the one you have still avail if mine is too rough? I got plenty to do till I get there hopefully you be done before I get to frame, Im getting into dual sport season and im sure ill be in your neck of the woods ,ill look you up , thanks again ttys . ed mac.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I just clean the metal with an alcohol/water mix and get the grease off, hit it with the weldable primer and weld it.
They were just metal on metal from the factory and they held together for 30-40 years of abuse so what I am doing (never going out in the winter with them) it should be fine. It all depends on what you plan to do with yours... I "undercoated" my last CJ7 I did with ZeroRust first after cleaning and prepping, then painting over that... it is what they use in marine applications, so I plan on doing the same with this when I am done.

I sold the CJ8 frame over the weekend... guy drove 5 hours from VT to grab it and he was thrilled to have it... apparently in VT the same thing happens to Jeeps ;)

You are more than welcome to stop by any time and see the shop, the Jeeps and poke around. Just give me a heads up.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
3rd Jeep mostly done, the 4th one has to be gone through and then I am done for a bit... this takes so much time/energy to do this with all the other stuff going on.

cb

20190505_173412_resized.jpg