SJScrambler - Getting Started

City
Halifax
State
UK
Wow! good work CB maybe that black paint has helped preserve it.
I would of sanded the dash pad first to help the paint adhere, you appear to have struck lucky and the painter just threw it on!

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Well, I got a lot more stripped off and it looks like there was some discoloration in parts of it, which might be why they decided to paint it.

But as @Dave The Sparky said, I got somewhat lucky in that they didn't sand it flat.
The texture is still there and that in itself has caused a few issues as some of the depressinos were deep and the paint adhered there.

For what it is, it has come out nicely.
I want to leave it in the sun for a few days and see if the whole things relaxes a bit and if the oil will penetrate a bit more.
Either way, I think I am done for now... you can't beat up too much ont he material or it will stated to go bad quick.

20200627_175435_resized.jpg

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Other thing I did was get all the snapped bolts out of the center caps (most of them) and clean one of them up to see how it looks.

20200627_175448_resized.jpg

all of them are stripped down now.
I need to clean 3 caps, then final polishing, althoguh someone has contacted me about buying "as is" (I have them on CL locally), so they might already have found a new home.

20200627_175454_resized.jpg

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Nice work ! I can understand why someone would contact you.
Yeah, the guy has bought a new Scrambler from out west and lives on the east coast and wants to keep it all original, so he wants the chrome wheels and not the white ones, wants a tilt column, other stuff... we will see in a couple weeks (Translation I have received no $$$ ;) )

So, I continue to polish it all out... got 3 complete.

It is a ton of work.

20200628_153052_resized.jpg

20200628_160029_resized.jpg

20200628_164247_resized.jpg

These are all coming out very nice from what I started with:

00L0L_k2rM8Jk5ChJ_0CI0lM_1200x900.jpg

I am just trying to showcase what it takes to do this.

So far, I bought the Jeep, so the wheels came with it.

But, $45 for dismounting and removal of wheels and now I am up to 5 cans of Stripper, so that is $65... and on top of that, the steel wool, chrome polish and tons of paper towels and hours of work.

They are far from perfect as 2 of them have some spots or larger rust... and 2 are very very nice... and one has some typical rust pits.

This just shows how the Jeep is stored and exposed to the elements how water/salt can affect the chrome and the clear coat protecting it.

cb

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Work is an understatement. When I got my wheels powder coated white, I had to do my original caps all by hand. Didn't have any kind of buffer. They were actually in pretty good shape. The hands were tired

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Can you clear the wheels again or will that take away from the shine?
Some people have done it from what I have heard in the forums, but I have never done it.
I am not sure what it would look like though... I imagine it would dull it a little, but if you do a light coat of the clear, hopefully not too much.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Rarely do I look forward to going "back to work", but after 4 days of cutting, splitting, stacking and running around getting parts, I need a break from the physical part and I need to use the brain part.

Waht is left of a 1984 renegade CJ7 ice blue.... body was shot and some started working on the frame... didn't come out too bad.

20200704_150956_resized_1.jpg 20200705_120056_resized_1.jpg

20200705_120109_resized_1.jpg

cb

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Did it happen to have the factory fog light switch? If so, I’ve been looking for one.

BTW, my wife loved the artwork. ;)

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Did it happen to have the factory fog light switch? If so, I’ve been looking for one.

BTW, my wife loved the artwork. ;)
Glad you guys like the artwork... the Fedex guys say the same thing when they see it!
Response on the Fog Light Switch sent in a PM

cb

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I’m sure the artwork gets smiles across the country, hopefully it even improves the handling of the box. But that might just be wishful thinking.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Moving along, stupid hot last night, I don't know how people live down south... I finally packed it in and went inside and got some food and hung out with the kiddos and watched star wars :)

20200709_173444_resized.jpg

Gas tank and skid are out, so is the heater setup... had to cut out the rear crossmember to get the bumperettes out... if it stays nicer out humidity wise, I hope I can get the rest of this torn down.

cb

Last edited:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
cb. What's your plans with the bulkhead/firewall?
The plan was to take it to the scrap yard when I got enough to make it worthwhile... I cut out the heater vents for people with YJ tub conversions, along with the squirter hole, so they know where a CJ one goes vs. the YJ ones.

If the Jeep logos are in good shape, I cut them out.

After that, it is pretty much swiss cheese and I end up scrapping it.

These Jeeps lead pretty rough lives and the firewalls are you usually rusted through as well.

cb