• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

SJScrambler - Getting Started

b2esq

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Glen Allen
State
VA
How do you do anything with that garage door open? It's 30-40 degrees warmer here in my new-to-me state of Virginia, and I'm too cold to even think about working outside (well, and the fact that my Jeep is still snuggled in the garage in Florida -- where it's a warm, sunny, 82F).

Seriously, man, great to see you making such good progress. Can't wait to see the CB cab/cargo vision fully executed.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
above 32 degrees I do it with the door open, below that it is closed with the heater on... if I am grinding/welding/painting/priming, etc. I have to vent it out from time to time... the shop isn't that big and doesn't have positive ventilation.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Cold last night... only got an hour before I gave up... but the other side is mostly on with tacks and spot welds... needs to be cleaned up.
I have the tailgate shutting against the little backets from the old corners.
Once I can clean and finish this up, I move up towards the front and try to enclose the cab.

The biggest problem now is time.

cb

20181127_183133_resized.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Making progress slowly but surely... cleaning up the edges and trying to make the extension pieces to move towards the front corner close outs.

20181130_180433_resized.jpg

20181130_180438_resized.jpg

20181130_182514_resized.jpg

I am re-purposing side panels from another rusted out Scrambler as it has the same top and bottom bends.

20181130_182527_resized.jpg

20181130_182537_resized.jpg

The panel is very stiff where the old b-pillar is, but behind it is very flexy, so I am putting in some supports that will be hidden, as well as for the piece that goes to the corner, something to hold it in place and eventually spot weld it in.

20181201_134621_resized.jpg

20181201_150336_resized.jpg

Roughly how it will look... I didn't pick up the camera in the time I fit it all in and tacked it all in place... still needs to be dressed down, but you are getting to see the idea.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
During the time I was doing the welding I had an epihpany with the roll bar.
It is hard to see/visualize, but basically I wanted the roll bar as close to the front of the bed as I could, but it wasn't working out the way the Scrambler bars are bent.

HOWEVER

If you flip it around...

20181201_150345_resized.jpg

20181201_150402_resized.jpg

20181201_152724_resized.jpg

It tucks right up to the corner if you turn it around.
I also think from my "visualization" method, that when the red one flips around (after removing the legs), I will reattach the legs and it will then end up mounting to the top of the wheel wells.

Visually from the side it will have the same angle and such, but the bars will be tucked up closer to the cab, which is what I am trying to do.

What I didn't want to do is an LJ/JK style where the bars are bent towards the back... also with allin the 20 or so inches, I didn't want super log back bars on a different angle.

We will see how it turns out, it is only metal, I can alway put it back to the way it was...
I will have to figure out something with the front feet mounting plates though as it doesn't line up perfect, but that is for another day.

cb

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I love your idea flipping them. I actually had the question about where the bars would be relative to the front of the box when I first saw your mock-up. That’s going to be awesome!

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
This is the part I've been waiting for! I'm very interested in seeing how the front end of the bed turns out.

Great work, CB! :cheers:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Yes I'm not good at imagining how it will look, I'm looking forward to seeing it in pictures. ?

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Hopefully this helps with a bit more visualization.
I got the other side lengthened finally and started mocking up some ideas.
I need to order a few more parts/pieces for the new front mount I need to create.
And I also need a couple more corner panels as I have to extend the bottoms to make room... the front of the tub is about 3 inches longer than the rear as it kicks up in the back.

20181202_163940_resized.jpg

20181202_163948_resized.jpg

20181202_164008_resized.jpg

20181202_164019_resized.jpg

20181202_170609_resized.jpg

20181202_170621_resized.jpg

I will get to working on removing the roll bar next while I order up and wait for some more parts.
I need a few from classic enterprises and it is Christmas time... so that might have to wait for a bit... what I need is a bit pricey and well kids/Christmas ;)

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
These 2 options I am not digging for he back bars... front bars are where I want them, possibly a little closer together, but the rear bars need to be figured out more.

One side will hit too far up on the bar and the other side angle is close, but not correct (should be around 38 degrees) and if I do that, it hits the wheel well... you can see the back foot on the block is cocked up a bit.

I wish I had a bigger shop so I could stand back and give better pictures, but hopefully this visualization will help those that were not quite sure what I was going for.

I ordered up one part from Classic today as well, so hopefully I can get the front close in area mounts built and start to build and tie it all in from there... the front part of the floor can come later.

cb
20181203_173332_resized.jpg

20181203_173349_resized.jpg

20181203_173359_resized.jpg

20181203_173414_resized.jpg

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I wasn't sold on the idea of dual hoops at first... but now that you have them mocked up, I'm kind of diggin' it!

What does it look like if you put the foot of the down-leg on top of the wheel well?

Are you married to the idea of using stock roll bars and angles? :shrug:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I have one roll bar leg that is really buggered up so tomorrow night I design on top of the wheel well. I think that is the best solution it then leaves room for storage where the rear feet were.

I want to use the parts I have and want it all AMC (and some yj body parts)

cb

Last edited:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Could you put them a little closer and use just 1 foot for both to sit on together, I realize you would have to customize it

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Could you put them a little closer and use just 1 foot for both to sit on together, I realize you would have to customize it

I was wondering that too, get them real tight on one another and then see if that doesn't pull the down bar up on top of the wheelwell or at least close enough to do something reasonable to reach down to it when using an angle you like :shrug: