• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

SJScrambler - Getting Started

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I really wanted to use the existing bar and just add another filler piece to fill in the space that I added... but that is not possible.
Using one foot mount up from is definitely an idea to look more into and then I can space the bars accordingly.
I like a bit of space between them and will put smaller tie in bars between them.

I will have a set of 80's KC round 6" lights on top... more fall guy meets CJ look if they ever had that going on back then.

I will play around with it more tonight and see what I come up with.
Making the fishmouth to go around the bar on that angle should be interesting.

cb

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
The passenger side mock up looks better to me. If you do need a horizontal piece to connect it to the hoop that would look good and could extend forward to the front hoop as well. I don't like the idea of supporting the roll bar on the top of the wheel well. You are the ultimate designer with everything in front of you. I trust you will make a good choice as you mock it up.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
The passenger side mock up looks better to me. If you do need a horizontal piece to connect it to the hoop that would look good and could extend forward to the front hoop as well. I don't like the idea of supporting the roll bar on the top of the wheel well. You are the ultimate designer with everything in front of you. I trust you will make a good choice as you mock it up.

Kim,

I have mixed emotions on the wheel well... this roll bar is more for looks in terms of support for a rollover.
There will be a full cage inside the cab, so I was more looking for proportions with the original setup of a Scrambler.
Granted, there is now 2 tubes, so it isn't really stock anymore.

I will play with it a bit and see where it leads.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
So I successfully fish mouthed last night... worked pretty good.

I am not sure I love the design/placement of the fishmouth portion, or the distance yet... also, doing the down bar to the correct angle to the wheel well might be too short... still toying with this. It is what I had in my mind for the most part, but to make the wheel well, I have to shorted that a whole bunch more... I will try it tonight as I can resuse anything I cut off for the smaller pieces. 3.5" between the bars right now roughly.

More or less, I was playing around with the chop saw, grinder and figuring out how to do all this, never did it before.

20181204_180603_resized.jpg

20181204_181844_resized.jpg

20181204_181851_resized.jpg

20181204_181915_resized.jpg

20181204_182022_resized.jpg

20181204_183031_resized.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Craig,
You might want to look at this:
http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi
It allows you to input the tube sizes and angle, then print out a template to wrap around the tube for marking/cutting.

This program worked well... but a note here.
The PDF printer defaulted to "fit to page" and what I needed was "actual size".
With scrambler tubing it is 3" diameter, so rougly 9.5 inches give or take (3x3.14)
When I printed and cut it out it was 8.5"
Being that I already started and was dirty, I couldn't get to the computer/printer to do it again, so I improvised and just put it on one way, then flipped it over 180 degrees and traced that.... then split the difference.

Engineerds rule! LOL.

cb

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
This program worked well... but a note here.
The PDF printer defaulted to "fit to page" and what I needed was "actual size".
Yeah, they really should have put this note BEFORE the calculator. :shrug:

"The PDF version seems to scale best without regard for browser or OS weirdness. Make sure you have "none" selected under "page scaling" in the Acrobat print dialog or your pattern may come out just wrong enough that the problem won't be obvious until you try to wrap it around the tube. "

Sorry,
but it looks like you got it figured out. :thumbsup:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I did
Yeah, they really should have put this note BEFORE the calculator. :shrug:

"The PDF version seems to scale best without regard for browser or OS weirdness. Make sure you have "none" selected under "page scaling" in the Acrobat print dialog or your pattern may come out just wrong enough that the problem won't be obvious until you try to wrap it around the tube. "

Sorry,
but it looks like you got it figured out. :thumbsup:

LOL... I didn't read all the instructions... I just saw numbers and jumped feet first.

cb

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I saw that on the web page, it should be included in big bold letters on the PDF itself so you see it when you open the file.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
IF you cut or grind the little pointy ends down and leave about a 1/2" wide flat spot you will have a nice V to weld in at the ends. Just some tip I was given back some time ago. In the instructions to my notcher it says to not cut so deep and leave the little flat spot to weld.

You can see the little flat spot in this picture.
DSC04854.JPG

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Looking good ! Probably just me but I think they need to be closer, but it's your baby so go with what you want.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Finally got around to hanging it up in the shop window... can't wait to see it in the sunshine.

20181205_165642_resized.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Had to pay the bills last night, so was packing up and shipping out parts.

I did have a few minutes, so I tightened up the distance between the roll bars another 3/4 of an inch.
Any tighter and I have to start making custom feet plates.

I made another fish mouth connector with the new correct templates and they worked great.

I then determined I can't mount to the wheel well as the angle would be too steep and wouldn't look that good.

Finally tried to envision what it would look like with extensions on the top.

20181205_184607_resized.jpg

20181205_184613_resized.jpg

20181205_184617_resized.jpg

20181205_184627_resized.jpg

I am not sold yet on this and if I did it, I wouldn't want a hard angle.
I would want a nice bend transition, so I would need to find someone that can bend 3" pipe and then buy some new pipe, etc.

cb

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Unless you have another roll bar that you could take one of the 90 degree bends and cut it in half. Or cut both 90 degrees to the exact angle you want and get the extensions for the back legs, too.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Unless you have another roll bar that you could take one of the 90 degree bends and cut it in half. Or cut both 90 degrees to the exact angle you want and get the extensions for the back legs, too.

Interesting idea... didn't think about the top tube... I might have a section kicking around in the boneyard out back.
As for 3" OD 1/8" ID tubing... not many places have it in stock... also, very few places will bend 3"... most go up to 2"

So, I continue on looking.

cb

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
Just an idea, and may not be what you want, but can you move the legs inboard like they do with these J10's. Would eliminate the angle and making extensions part of it. Personally, I don't think a horizontal extension at the top would look that great., but then again you never really asked for my opinion either.

1981_jeep_honcho_fully_restored_3.jpghistory-jeep-5.1-800x800.jpg