• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

SJScrambler - Getting Started

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Yeah, I am glad I tucked it up tight inside... the step down that was there before just didn't look right.

PetesCj-8

CJ-8 Member
City
slatington
State
pa
It actually looks pretty decent with the top off, I didn't know how I would like it... if I can dig up a CJ7 bikini top tonight, I might install it and see how it looks if I go over the first bar and then angle it down towards the wheel wells in front of the double tube bars.

cb

If you need one let me know I have an extra

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Maybe even one of those short bikini tops that just goes to the roll bar might work also

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
OK, I tried 2 options last night... the short one has a lot of extra material as the rollbar is pitched forward a bit more than a normal CJ7... it could work with some alterations, but not sure that is worth it.

20200110_172345_resized.jpg

20200110_172354_resized.jpg

20200110_172358_resized.jpg

Next up I tried a traditional style... I experiemted with it over the first rollbar and the second one... the second one doesn't leave enough room for the straps to tie down... so I went over the first one and put some tie downs on the wheel wells... I think the lines look good and it would serve well for sun protection... seeing out the rear view might be a bit more challenging as it hangs down in the middle... if it were a little shorter and longer straps might be the best combo.

cb

20200110_183820_resized.jpg

20200110_183832_resized.jpg

Roadster look with 1/2 doors

20200110_184425_resized.jpg

20200110_184431_resized.jpg

I think this is a solution that would work, it all seems to tie in together and give some protection from the sun.

Not having that in the cab bar vs. having it, you would have to go tot he double tube roll bar and then the top would have to content with the KC hi-lites, so not sure that is something that would have worked...also no seat belts... and just from an aesthetic point of view I am not srue how that would all tie together.

Either way, I am done playing around with this... next week I will get back to hopefully doing some rocker trim, finish the transmission tunnel and the passenger side cage top.

cb

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
It gets better by the day! It must be super convenient to be able to go to the parts shelf and put your hands on "whatever". Fruits of you labors both on the shelf and this current project. Really digging it!

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
So... this followed me home from a trip down to CT to watch the games on Saturday with some old high school friends...

cb

20200111_154528_resized.jpg

20200112_124618_resized.jpg

20200112_124640_resized.jpg

Had to move the project over so this can be taken apart... the body is so very rough... it is held together with rivets, glue and wood of all things... the wheel wells have some work done to it that I have never seen before... frame has been patched though.

This is an 81... so it has narrow tracks and 5 lug hubs... someting you don't see every day.

20200112_150504_resized.jpg

Moved the project over... only for a couple weeks.

20200112_151326_resized.jpg

20200112_151335_resized.jpg

The Jeep runs/drives as well, which was nice to get it in the garage on a 66 degree day in the middle of January.

Some goodies were inside.

20200112_151859_resized.jpg

20200112_161028_resized.jpg

That is about it for now... have to get back to work... it was a lot of driving and working to get this home and I have some catching up to do.

cb

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
Nice parts score Craig! Seems like some good parts on that one. Sideboards too!

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Not much done, but some tear down.

20200113_184521_resized.jpg

20200113_184534_resized.jpg

20200113_184548_resized.jpg

The strap holding the rear together really makes me laugh...

20200113_191425_resized.jpg

The windshield is rotted on the bottom pretty badly... but slowly coming apart... the side boards and one bolt in the half cab were a real pain.

cb

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
Love the weber carb and brake rotor "swimming" in that storage tote. Is that a sheet of plywood underneath instead of the actual bed?

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Love the weber carb and brake rotor "swimming" in that storage tote. Is that a sheet of plywood underneath instead of the actual bed?

That is after about 2 gallons fell out of the tote when loading it onto the trailer... that sucked, everything was wet.
As for the plywood, there is "some" metal left under it, but not much.
I can't get those ammo cans off, not sure how they attached them... and finally the jerry can is full of liquid... what kind? anyones guess.

cb

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
That is after about 2 gallons fell out of the tote when loading it onto the trailer... that sucked, everything was wet.
As for the plywood, there is "some" metal left under it, but not much.
I can't get those ammo cans off, not sure how they attached them... and finally the jerry can is full of liquid... what kind? anyones guess.

cb

Should have asked for even lower price to remove whatever "hazmat" is in that jerry can.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Overspray... who oversprays a nutmeg carry bag? some people..

20200115_183449_resized_1.jpg

20200115_183507_resized.jpg

20200115_183515_resized.jpg

20200115_183703_resized.jpg

Top is pretty nice, but definitely was used and a little worn in places... but overall once the sun comes out I can lay it out and get the wrinkles out, take a picture and put it up for sale.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Now this was the nice find... also needs a nice sunny day so it will lay flat... this is going on my other kids scrambler (NOT FOR SALE).

cb

20200115_183710_resized.jpg

20200115_183719_resized.jpg

20200115_183739_resized.jpg

20200115_183743_resized.jpg

20200115_183759_resized.jpg

Last edited:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
The glass(plastic) is really clear, the sticker/decal is the nicest I have ever seen... and the black is super black.
It might have been used, but I don't see snaps on the bulkhead, so I am thinking maybe it was on a shelf.

It is all folded up, I need the snow to stop so I can lay it out in the sun

cb

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Yeah, it is a Scrambler original Nutmeg Bikini Top that had the bag... the guy had it when I bought the Jeep.
It needs to be cleaned and cleaned and the overspray taken care of slowly and methodically.

cb