• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

SJScrambler - Getting Started

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Yeah, it is a Scrambler original Nutmeg Bikini Top that had the bag... the guy had it when I bought the Jeep.
It needs to be cleaned and cleaned and the overspray taken care of slowly and methodically.

cb
I was just reading up on how to do that 8-)

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
Yeah, it is a Scrambler original Nutmeg Bikini Top that had the bag... the guy had it when I bought the Jeep.
It needs to be cleaned and cleaned and the overspray taken care of slowly and methodically.

cb

Diluted brake fluid as a cleaner? That stuff will eat any paint.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Well, it is dark and 10 degrees right now... high for the day is 14, but the sun is supposed to appear and the Jeeps might see their shadows... but then it is back to more snow and no sun Saturday and Sunday.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Teardown in progress... making some good progress.
Windshield frame was a total loss, held together with rivets and RTV.
Hood also was rotted in some very strange places... my guess is that it was off the Jeep when they "restored" it back in the day and water pooled in places, because some of the places it is hard to get moisture... or it sat at a beach.

Seats were a PITA, but they are out now as are the brackets... floor is becoming very apparent now as to how bad this thing is... tub is a total waste unfortunately.

cb

20200116_185518_resized.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Leaves and Plywood are not friends of CJ's...

20200118_160907_resized.jpg

20200118_160913_resized.jpg

20200118_160917_resized.jpg

20200118_160933_resized.jpg

and the water has still not evaporated, so now I am somewhat curious as to what else is in there ... and the mystery GAS can smells like it has diesel in it... not sure on that though... could be just very old gas, but that usually has a different smell/taste ;)

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Not much to report... got a few more things off, but it was 10 degrees consistently the last couple days... hopefully we get a break in the weather later on this week.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Very difficult to see, but if you look down at the lower section where the steerign column comes through, you will see they extended the firewall and welded it to the frame and to the body mount... never ever seen that before and it took about 4 hours to get the fenders off from what they did to those... only to find out that they were really rotted and repaired and are being tossed now... should have just cut em.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Plywood will ruin a bed right quick... and is not a great substitue for lack of a floor in a vehicle... couldn't stand on it 3/4" thick and I broke it pretty easily...

20200126_140929_resized.jpg

20200126_140936_resized.jpg

20200126_161427_resized.jpg

20200126_161434_resized.jpg

20200126_161437_resized.jpg

20200126_161440_resized.jpg

Oddly enough the roll bar was very difficult to remove... it was welded in on the sides and the torx bolts were pretty frozen in there.
The bar is out, the plywood is gone, the rest is cleaned out.

I then tried to get the one rocker trim off...

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
The rocker trim was near perfect, but someone drilled 3 holes in it for carriage bolts.

So far for the tear down of this, I am at 9 carriage bolts... and I see a few more to go.
Carriage bolts are not made for holding Jeeps together, just so we are clear.

cb

The PO drilled right next to (and through) the T-bolt.

View attachment 79352

View attachment 79353

perfectly straight, but now with 3 holes in it that go through the rails.
So, this will become a sacrificial pieces for the side of the truck project.
It will be cut/spliced back together to fit the side... will just need to figure out a way to secure it as the back rails probably won't line up and allow for the t-bolts to slide.

We will cross that bridge when we get there.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
So I am finally on the mend... been a rough couple of weeks and not much progress... but my leg/foot feels better, the cough is mostly gone and the fatigues as well... not sure what I had, but it ripped through my body pretty good... ended up at the Dr. and got some stuff for the foot, but the virus part they couldn't do much about.... some flu, some bad cold, something "going around" I guess

20200126_161359_resized.jpg

cb

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
eat an elephant one bite at a time...
always dropping by to see what you're up to. Glad you're over the crud you had.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
OK... I finally found something that surprised me.
Normally nothing offends me, nor surprises me anymore, I thought I had seen most of what life has to offer in the way of fixing things poorly.

This was interesting...

20200130_183258_resized.jpg

Structural Tennis balls anyone?

20200130_183251_resized.jpg

20200130_183237_resized.jpg

cb